Resistance of charging coil, electrical
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Resistance of charging coil, electrical

Resistance of charging coil, electrical

Hi all!
    After my battery did not charge I was searching for the problem(s). I found a faulty rectifier and replaced it. Still no charging and an equally dim headlight, when the engine was on. I had replaced that for a 55W lamp, which probably also was not the best thing to do.

So today I tested the Y-W cables from the charging coil. In the manual they say at 20°C the resistance should be between 0.3 - 0.5 ohm. I measured 1.3 - 5.5 (measured several times). Does that proof that the charging coild is faulty? I added photos how the charging coils looks like, I find the form very different from many others I saw on the internet for the TW 200. Is this due to the manufacturing year? Mine is 2000 and has run 30000km
    How muc oil should I find in the cover? I emptied around 10ml.
    Coils3.jpg Ignition.jpg Coils1.jpg
    The arrow pointing to the ignition coil points to a hole in the plate. Shouldn't there be something stick out made of metal?? When the engine is warm, the ignition seems a bit "untimed". However, the bike is running otherwise ok.
    Thank you for all your help and inputs!

Did you replace the bad battery first and then check to see everything's charging?

Not sure about the hole you mention. I'd be more concerned about the burnt looking winding with the wires loose.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Did you replace the bad battery first and then check to see everything's charging?

Not sure about the hole you mention. I'd be more concerned about the burnt looking winding with the wires loose.
    I saw that one, too, but it looks more like a thread to insulate (protect) the underlying wiring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hans_Hanssen View Post
    I saw that one, too, but it looks more like a thread to insulate (protect) the underlying wiring.
    Ok, just checking...

New or known good battery now?
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hi again. I did not check the battery, being sure this was the problem. After the new also did not charge, I checked on the rectifer and found not a single contact intact, so I replaced it. Still the battery only run empty after charging at home, and that was it. In addition: With the blown rectifier I still had light. The intensity changed with the rpm. After I installed the new rectifier, the light was dim and stays large and wide dim. Going to see an electrician tomorrow. Will keep you posted. Thanks!
    littletommy likes this.

Yeah, somethings wrong.

1. When you diagnosed did not charge, what was battery voltage with engine running at fast idle?

2. When testing the charging coil, what was resistance to ground/earth?

3. When testing the charging coil, where were ohmmeter probes placed?

Too low a read would indate some of the coil windings are internally shorted

If the read is infinity, the coil is open.

As you reported, with a high and an erratic read, there is too much resistance to connections.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

I'm going through the same type of issue with another bike. I did change the rectifier/voltage reg. but did not change the stator. Besides checking for obvious or not-obvious shorts and kinks both the rectifier and stator will be changed out later on today. Good luck with your little project.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Thanks all for your help! @Sportster Doc: I will repeat the measuring and tell you, as it is still not working. I travelled, will be back Wednesday. I remember question number 3: White - Yellow cables showed 1.2 - 5 Ohm resistance, Did not try to ground. When I only inserted one probe on white or yellow cable, it showed 40 Amp and above? using both resulted in 20 Amp. How is this possible? Faulty instrument may be?

Btw., when fixing the rectifier to the frame/ground, it sparks. Is that normal??? To me the charging coils also looks kind of burnt/black. I just got an offer from Yamaha: 270 USD for a new charging coil. That's insane for a crappy part like this! I intend to find some meters of the right wire and wind them around like they were.... just trying.

Typically the rectifer is energized with key off, drawing about 1 milliamp, so, spark when ground completed not surprising.
    Best to disconnect battery + or - before working on it.

You can wind a new coil
    1. Using a micrometer, measure wire diameter, to purchase correct size of varnished wire.
    2. Unwind coil, counting turns, then measure length.
    3. Chuck laminates into lathe or = and wind slowly, in layers, while keeping tension on wire.
    4. Dip in varnish, drip, bake in oven or mix 2 part non-conductive epoxy and pour over windings, keeping contact surface of laminate from build-op.

Without varnish or epoxy, windings will vibrate and short circuit.

Learned a few things in a motor rewind shop 1979-1983

Did not understand your 40 and 20 amp comments in post 9
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 06-24-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2