Carb question from a noob - Page 2
Close
    
    
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Carb question from a noob

  1. #11
    Member Errtu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Buena Vista, CO
    Posts
    73
    So I went to drain the carb and opened the screw quite a bit but the gas is only coming out in a tiny trickle. When I disconnect the fuel hose from the top of the carb I get a good stream coming from the tank.

  2. #12
    Senior Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Errtu View Post
    So I went to drain the carb and opened the screw quite a bit but the gas is only coming out in a tiny trickle. When I disconnect the fuel hose from the top of the carb I get a good stream coming from the tank.
    Based upon this comment and the leakage reported in first post, there is very likely debris in the float valve.

    You can loosen the hose clamps, rotate the carb almost 90 degrees, remove the bowl screws, remove the bowl and probably deal with it without removing the carb. Just be gentle with float, especially the tab.

    Ditto on Stagewax's comments in post 9. At the very least, unscrew petcock and drain tank.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

  3. #13
    Member Errtu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Buena Vista, CO
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Based upon this comment and the leakage reported in first post, there is very likely debris in the float valve.

    You can loosen the hose clamps, rotate the carb almost 90 degrees, remove the bowl screws, remove the bowl and probably deal with it without removing the carb. Just be gentle with float, especially the tab.

    Ditto on Stagewax's comments in post 9. At the very least, unscrew petcock and drain tank.
    Going to do some research about the bowl and float before I attempt to do this. I plan on removing all the old gas and adding new gas once I get the gas flowing again.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Member Errtu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Buena Vista, CO
    Posts
    73
    Ok so I took the bowl out and it looks very clean inside. Not sure what I should do from here.
    DSC_0352.JPG
    DSC_0354.JPG

  6. #15
    Senior Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    1,050
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

  7. #16
    Member Errtu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Buena Vista, CO
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Do I remove the float to get at the valve? The pictures are unclear.

  8. #17
    Senior Member reddave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    South Park, CO
    Posts
    156
    Hey Errtu! Nice to know I've got a local forum member! I'm actually dropping my bike off tomorrow at B&B Sports Cycles in Evergreen. It's quite a drive, but as you know - everything out here is. They are really the only reputable place around, from my research. I'm having them replace my valves, rebuild the front shocks, and tune the bike as they see fit for a 9000ft elevation. Never had any work done by them before, so I'm hoping they work out well for me. As for you - Stagewex and Fred have it right, as usual! Get some fresh octane in there! Try pulling the pilot jet and having a look for gunk? When we are both up and running we should be going for a ride, brother!
    Errtu and littletommy like this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

  9. #18
    Senior Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Errtu View Post
    Do I remove the float to get at the valve? The pictures are unclear.
    Yes
    Use tweezers or long nose pliers to gently pull float pin to the side.

    Overflow = float valve not shutting off
    Restricted flow = debris in float valve, since good flow through petcock
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

  10. #19
    Member Errtu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Buena Vista, CO
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Yes
    Use tweezers or long nose pliers to gently pull float pin to the side.

    Overflow = float valve not shutting off
    Restricted flow = debris in float valve, since good flow through petcock
    Well I didn't see any debris in either the pilot jet or the float valve. Going to attach the fuel line tomorrow and see if I can get gas to flow out the bowl.

    Any tips on removing the needle valve seat so I can see the screen? I removed the screw but the seat seems very solid and I didn't want to use pliers and mess up the brass.
    Last edited by Errtu; 06-24-2019 at 08:47 PM.

  11. #20
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    17,227
    Thanks for popping in brother Dave. It will be encouraging for Errtu just to know there is a member nearby... Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by reddave View Post
    Hey Errtu! Nice to know I've got a local forum member! I'm actually dropping my bike off tomorrow at B&B Sports Cycles in Evergreen. It's quite a drive, but as you know - everything out here is. They are really the only reputable place around, from my research. I'm having them replace my valves, rebuild the front shocks, and tune the bike as they see fit for a 9000ft elevation. Never had any work done by them before, so I'm hoping they work out well for me. As for you - Stagewex and Fred have it right, as usual! Get some fresh octane in there! Try pulling the pilot jet and having a look for gunk? When we are both up and running we should be going for a ride, brother!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •