Carb question from a noob
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Carb question from a noob

Carb question from a noob

So after my accident last year and the bike sitting for a year, the bike will not idle. I am pretty sure I need to clean the carb. How hard is taking apart, cleaning and putting back together the TW200 carburetor for someone who has never worked on a motorcycle carburetor before?

I would suggest draining gas put in a fresh gallon with like 3 oz of Seafoam. Turn over to get it to carb. Wait overnight and try and start. May or may not start to ungunk...i'm getting ready for PG and E power shut offs on hot windy days here in CA. Put my portable generator on my front porch...would not start. I did the above with positive results.
    But taking carb off Dubby is not a difficult thing if needed. Lots of topic/discussion on this website

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    I would suggest draining gas put in a fresh gallon with like 3 oz of Seafoam. Turn over to get it to carb. Wait overnight and try and start. May or may not start to ungunk...i'm getting ready for PG and E power shut offs on hot windy days here in CA. Put my portable generator on my front porch...would not start. I did the above with positive results.
    But taking carb off Dubby is not a difficult thing if needed. Lots of topic/discussion on this website
    I had Seafoam sitting in it since last year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Errtu View Post
    So after my accident last year and the bike sitting for a year, the bike will not idle. I am pretty sure I need to clean the carb. How hard is taking apart, cleaning and putting back together the TW200 carburetor for someone who has never worked on a motorcycle carburetor before?
    Have someone remove and clean the carb for you.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    Have someone remove and clean the carb for you.
    What would something like that cost?
    littletommy likes this.

I bet if you asked nicely... haha, that a member near you might come over and help you.

Seriously.
    What would something like that cost?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I bet if you asked nicely... haha, that a member near you might come over and help you.

Seriously.
    I live in a town of 2600 at 8000 feet in the Rockies. The next nearest town is 35 min away and neither of us has a motorcycle place.
    littletommy likes this.

Hmmmm... I think Reddave might be the nearest to you. It wouldn't hurt to send him a PM. Looks like he's between Fairplay and Garo. What town do you live in?
    I live in a town of 2600 at 8000 feet in the Rockies. The next nearest town is 35 min away and neither of us has a motorcycle place.
    reddave likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Agree that the tank should absolutely also be drained and cleaned. If you just do the carb you'll still just be introducing more tainted fuel into a clean carb and I don't care how much Seafoam or other miracle additive you use (and I do use Seafoam myself).

Unbolt and flip the tank. Reattach and run some fuel through the fuel lines (disconnected from the carb of course) to flush whatever debris might be within them. This should take you all of 20-30 minutes.
    Then take the carb off and apart (take a lot of digital pictures if you have not down this before). An ultrasonic cleaner with some Simple Green and water in it will cost you a lot less than having a shop and/or dealer to do this for you for a hours shop rate (they'll charge you 2-3 hours). Reverse & repeat.

Fresh fuel with or without Seafoam, doesn't matter if you actually just ride the little beast. Again, fuel sitting for a year with the bestest of the best additive... cards are against you. Can't prevent fuel depreciation for that long. If you have to do that in the future use ethanol-free or straight aviation fuel (if you can get it).

I'd add a little in-line fuel filter for good measure but that's a personal choice. And if you already have one change it out. Couple bucks.

If you have never done this before then yeah... it can be a little intimidating. But after you have done it you'll realize just how simple it really is to do. No prior/zero prior mechanical experience is really needed. Just common sense. Go for it.
    Last edited by stagewex; 06-24-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    reddave likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

The carb is really fairly easy to remove and clean, there are numerous forum posts and Youtube videos describing the procedure.
    However if Errtu is reluctant to attempt the carb carb removal & cleaning then suggesting additional work may not be as helpful as coming up with simple first steps that can be attempted.

If the bike runs but will not idle why not just turn up the idle speed? Then running the bike with fresh gas & seafoam or equivalent can sometimes accomplish the necessary cleaning without any disassembly.
    The old gas can be readily drained via the drain line on bottom of carb without any disassembly, just carefully use the JIS screwdriver in the on-board tool kit ( NOT A #2 phillips!) to loosen screw a bit.
    reddave and Darth like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links