No Spark on a TTR225
Close

No Spark on a TTR225

hey all, i need help diagnosing a no-spark condition on a 2002 ttr225. its kin to our tw's and you guys are about the only resource that i have access to for suggestions on technical stuff. i bought the bike with no spark and i thought i traced it to a faulty stator based on service manual diagnostics. it wants the yellow wire from the charging coil to be grounded but mine was open to ground. i installed a new chinese stator; still no spark. i checked the new yellow wire and it is also open to ground. i have continuity from the pig tail of the yellow wire all the way down to where it terminates on the charging coil on both stators but from there, i dont have continuity anywhere else from the yellow wire to the stator bodies. im assuming that the yellow wire grounds through the charging coil which grounds through the stator body which grounds through the case. at this point, i didnt know if i had 2 dead stators faulty in the exact same way or what so i wheeled over my '90 tw and started poking at it. it doesnt run but it does have spark. i messed around and found that one of the 3 leads coming from its charging coil does ground to the stator body, just like i thought the ttr yellow wire should based on the service manual. i even went so far as to swap left side cases and stators from bike to bike just to verify that the tw charging coil wire had continuity to frame ground on the ttr and it did, just like the ttr manual called for. has anyone messed with this before or can anyone tell me that i have actually diagnosed two bad stators back to back? despite what the manual states, im still not 100% sold that im testing this component correctly. i threw in a pic of my tw for the heck of it. thanks!

1. When you measured resistance, where were the two probes placed? Is either surface covered with varnish or otherwise non-conductive?

2. Is the issue no spark or not charging?

3. Is the battery in the bike? If so, what is its voltage?
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 06-23-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Have you determined that the various safety interlocks (i.e., clutch, side stand and neutral switch) are not preventing the engine from getting spark?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

1. probes were on yellow terminal at pig tail as per the manual and metal body of stator, though i prodded basically everything metal on the stator trying to get continuity and never got it. both ttr stators failed the test like this, the tw stator passed.
    2. the issue im trying to diagnose is a no-spark issue.
    3. battery is in the bike but i also had an automotive battery hooked to it with jumper cables, about 12.5v measured at the terminals on the bike. interestingly enough, my 90 tw has never had a battery in it and i can just bump the kick lever by hand and it immediately has spark at the plug.

most have been bypassed but im strictly focusing on this one test on this one component right now since im getting mixed results with the test.

Sponosred Links