Vapor or what for a digital speedo-tach-temp etc. ?
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By FIRE UP
  • 1 Post By RaZed1

Thread: Vapor or what for a digital speedo-tach-temp etc. ?

Vapor or what for a digital speedo-tach-temp etc. ?

Hey Gents,
    We're about to pick up a new-to-us '07 TW in a couple of days and, I'm gonna have fun tinkering with it to get it into good shape. But, we've had them before. And, waaaaaaaaaaay back then, oh, about say, 8-9 years ago, we had an '03 and a '94. On the '03, I experimented with a "Vapor", digital adaptive speed-o and tach etc. Well, if I recall, it wasn't all that accurate way back then. So, I'm wondering, have any of you ventured over to any form of aftermarket speed-0/tach/engine temp etc? Which ever ones you've gone to, are they accurate or, at least somewhat accurate? I think the Vapor that I used way back then, never, ever gave me an engine temp but, it was supposed to. I'm going to attempt to post a pic of our older TW and you can see the Vapor dash.
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Vapor works well if one invests the time to properly install & calibrate it. There are various possible locations for the temperature sensor, & each likely gives a different reading. As such I look at it as subjective feedback rather than as an absolute value of engine, oil, or head temperatures. Mine is about a decade old and seems accurate, reported speeds match GPS indicated speeds. The temp sensor is on the drain plug but it complicates oil changes
    Purple and jtstdub like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I like mine... 3 years now. Changed the battery one time. I put the temp sensor on the spark plug. Works well there for me. The speedo is very close to accurate. I like the tach too. I have it set for 6K rpm. Which is about 55mph... I think. I bought mine because my OEM TW speedo was destroyed by the PO winding the miles forward to get it into Calif... The TW is an 03... The Cali rule is the bike must have over 1,000 miles on it or it must comply with Cali smog standards...
    Jim
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jtstdub View Post
    I like mine... 3 years now. Changed the battery one time. I put the temp sensor on the spark plug. Works well there for me. The speedo is very close to accurate. I like the tach too. I have it set for 6K rpm. Which is about 55mph... I think. I bought mine because my OEM TW speedo was destroyed by the PO winding the miles forward to get it into Calif... The TW is an 03... The Cali rule is the bike must have over 1,000 miles on it or it must comply with Cali smog standards...
    Jim
    Hey jtstdub,
    Unless CA's rule has changed, the requirement for mileage on "used" vehicle/motorcycle etc. to legally entered and registered in CA is 7,500 miles, not 1,000. Now, the prime reason I state all this is because, quite a while ago, as in say, 10-12 years ago, we were living in CA and wanted a TW. So, the search began. Long story short, we found one that was around oh, maybe 10 years old at the time. When I contacted the seller, and, it had only 195 miles on it. Yahooooooo. An ultra low mileage TW that was a few years old. Well, in a battle with the CA DMV, that is when I found out about the 7500 mile rule. The lady (third level supervisor at the DMV) asked me repeatedly, "Are you sure the mileage is not "100,195.0 miles? Meaning, it had rolled over and was only stating 195 miles. Well, since I was a TOTAL NUMBSKULL, I argued with her and repeated that it had ONLY 195 MILES on it.

She, in fact, was trying to help me get over, under and around, the 7,500 mile rule for non-compliant CA vehicles, trying to get registered in CA. I was just plain to darn stupid to see that she was trying to help me. So, she got fed up with my ignorance and flat out told me, "This bike is now RED LINED and will NEVER be able to be registered in the state of California!!!!!!!! So, there we are, with a freshly bought TW 200 in the back of our truck, sitting at the DMV in El Cajon CA, with absolutely ZERO chance of EVER registering it in our name. How about that! Anyway, sorry for the long rant here. But, if you look at this:

Well, since I'm new here, the forum rules won't allow me to post a link to the "7,500 mile CA rule". So, if you just type that into your browser, you'll find it and it clearly states you must have 7,500 miles or more on a non SMOG CA vehicle before you can register it in that state. Hope this helps clear things up.

you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Scott
    Fred and YamTW87 like this.

I have yet to find a comprehensive guide to installing a Vapor. For those who have them, do both your signal and neutral indicators work? Most of the threads I've seen are usually trying to figure out them out.
    2015 TW200 with the usual farkles. Powell River, BC, Canada

I have a Vapor on my Beta after I trashed it's stock speedometer in a crash. It's been working perfectly fine for a couple years now. For that bike as it uses a standard 21" front wheel, the Vapor's default setting for that I found to be extremely close to GPS accurate, but you can set wheel circumference down to the mm, so it's as accurate as you take care to set it. Generally just make a few runs on a straight road with a GPS and adjust the wheel size setting until it matches GPS.

To replicate the indicator lights for turn/high beam and low oil the Beta's stock speedo had, I got the optional indicator light surround and just had to figure out the wiring via a diagram in Italian off Beta's website. But they all work again. Keep in mind a lot of the time idiot lights are constant power, floating ground. if the sensor for the light only has one wire, it's completing the circuit to ground, not to power.

I contemplated doing a Vapor on my TW since I like gadgety stuff and being able to get a tach and temp gauge integrated, but ultimately didn't really care enough to bother and the stock speedo had nothing wrong with it. Plus it's pretty much accurate now with the 241 front tire which is a bit taller. I got a little "TTO" digital tach and stuck it above the indicator box, RPM was really the only thing I was a little curious about.

There is a way to edit odometer/hours on a Vapor so you can set it to match your factory speedo. It's not in the directions or Trail Tech's website. Trail Tech will tell you how if you call them and have proof of purchase of a unit.
    Sthrnromr likes this.

Sponosred Links