Seat retainer bolts, what size are they?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Seat retainer bolts, what size are they?

Seat retainer bolts, what size are they?

Hey Gang,
    OBVIOUSLY I'd look at them to tell what size they are but, I don't have a TW, YET! We're headed out tomorrow for a 3 hour drive, to pick one up. And, the story is, this little '07 has been sitting for over 5 years without running. Soooooo, my thought is, since the seller is stating it needs a battery, I'd have to:

1. Pull the seat just to get to the battery
    2. Use my trusty micro-small battery jumper pack to jump that battery, to maybe get the bike to crank over
    3. Drain or, at least siphon out as much of that 5 year old gas as possible and, install maybe a gallon of fresh

So, I know there's only two bolts that retain the seat and, you have to get to them from underneath. And, I've got the owners manual saved in my laptop but, all it states is "remove the two bolts". It does not say what size socket/phillips/Allen or whatever kind and size of socket/tool you need. And, the reason I'm asking for such detail is, the bike is 150 miles from MY TOOL BOX. So, I'm just trying to load whatever tools I might need to do what it takes, to get this little guy started before I hand the owner the money. Not that it's gonna make all that much difference. If I can't get it running, no biggie, I'll load the bike up and get it home and go to work on it. I'll get running, no doubt about that. I'd just like to get it running BEFORE I actually depart from where I'm buying it.
    Scott
    littletommy and Darth like this.

Hi Scott,

Assuming that the bike still has the stock seat mounting bolts, a 10mm socket on a screwdriver-type handle will do the trick.

Brian

Brian,
    That's kind-a what I was thinking since, someone mentioned that the bolts themselves were 6mm x 1. I appreciate the answer here Sir.
    Scott
    littletommy, Fred and Darth like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would have added yesterday that with age those bolts might be a little tight screwed into the seat pan. So a small ratchet and extension might be needed for the 10mm socket should a straight shaft bit & socket driver not afford sufficient torque.

Congratulations on getting the new bike.
    Darth and Spoolmak 2.0 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Keep us posted Scott...and welcome to the club!
    Congrats on the "new" bike.

Don't be surprised or disappointed if she doesn't start after all that time.
    Much has been written here on bringing them back after a too-long nap!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Keep us posted Scott...and welcome to the club!
    Congrats on the "new" bike.

Don't be surprised or disappointed if she doesn't start after all that time.
    Much has been written here on bringing them back after a too-long nap!
    Hey Darth,
    To you and others, thank you for welcoming me to this great forum. Well, after a 2.5 hour drive, we landed at the sellers home. There it sat, in the sun, looking pretty good "from a distance". Well, the closer you got, the more you noticed things. The plastic above the exhaust muffler was severely scratched, as I saw in the ad. But, it's more than I thought. The engine cases have some mar's and small scrapes, nothing to be alarmed about. But, I was so anxious and enthused to get this little jewel in my possession and start tootleing around on it, I was real nieve about the situation at hand, I didn't even notice it had NO MIRRORS at all!! It's also missing BOTH, complete, rear passenger foot rests. It's missing the tool kit. No owners manual. Only ONE KEY! The white plastic around the headlight is scratched fairly well. The brake pedal is bent, the shift lever is bent. The front brake handle is broke about 1/2 its length. The fuel line is OFF the tank valve. And, last but certainly not least, there is a SEVERE amount of RUST inside the tank!!!!

I already knew the battery was bad from conversations with the owner, prior to us getting there. I figured, no biggie, I'll just try and jump it with my wazoo little micro jumper pack. Well, not only was the battery bad but, it was MISSING!! My plan was, since I was lead to believe this little T-dub has been sitting for well over 5 years, I'd simply drain out any and all fuel that was in the tank. I'd purchased a gallon of gas on the way up there and it was in a small one gallon can. But, when I removed that gas cap, and saw the rust, and, stuck a small pocket screwdriver I carry down in there and very easily flaked off some, I thought, well, we ain't getting it running here, that's for sure.

So, I walked around it a half dozen times and, again, I must be getting old 'cause, I didn't notice the spark plug boot was broken and, the small, threaded stud sticking out of the spark plug, was bent. We made the deal, an '07 TW200 with 582 miles on the clock, for $2,300. That to me, was about the best deal, within a 300 mile radius of where we live, Lake Havasu City AZ, that I could do. So, we loaded it up in the back of the truck and headed home. I got it home and put it in it's temp parking/work station place for the time being. I removed the right side small plastic and noticed lots of residue from what appears to be muddy water around all the wiring in that area, CRAP! Me being me, I always think the worst. I 'm thinking, "man, I sure as heck hope this is not some sort of salvage from Katrina or any other flood from a catastrophe". If it was, boy, am I screwed.

I tried charging the battery (the owners husband produced it after a while) with some low amperage battery charging, just so I could get some voltage in it, so it would trigger my micro-battery pack if and when I tried to start it. Well, it got to almost 12.V on the dial of my meter. I put it in and, turned the key ON. Well, NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING. No dash lights, no neutral indicator light, nothing. CRAP! But, what was happening was, as soon as even the smallest amount of load was placed on that battery, it dropped it's only voltage like a rock, down to less than 1 volt. So, I decided to trick the system. I left the battery in it's pocket and, hooked up my battery charger directly to the terminals. Then, I hooked up my micro battery jumper. I then turned the key on. Well, as soon as my micro jumper saw at least some sort of draw on that m/c battery, it jumped into action. And vuuuuuuuuuaaaaaalllla, I have DASH LIGHTS, YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The horn honks, the turn signals work, that is, the left side works great. The right side flashes fast due to the entire right rear turn signal is BROKEN OFF, imagine that! The headlight switch seems to work 'cause, I get the BLUE high beam on the dash but, I have neither high or low beam emanating from the headlight. That could be anything, a bad bulb, corroded connections, who knows? I'll figure that out. I already had the poor bent tipped spark plug out so, I figured, what the heck, let's see if it cranks. Yahooooo, it cranks! So, I thought, man, I'm on a winning streak now! So, I plugged the spark plug boot onto the bent tipped plug and, held the threads up against a near-by bolt head on the head. Well, apparently I didn't ground it good enough 'cause IT BIT ME! Yahooooo, that means I've got at least some sort of spark. I made an attempt to ground it better and, hit the starter button. Well, I got spark but, it's very weak. A new plug is on the list of procurement.

I unscrewed the oil fill plug and thought, CRAP, the dip stick is broken off, how in the world do I check the oil? Well, I'm such a bone head. I looked at that side case and see the oil level window/site glass. Air head!! It appeared as though there was no oil. So, I tipped the bike towards my side since it was on the side stand and, guess what, the oil covered the site glass and, appeared at least to not be foamy or, in any way, contaminated with water. So, maybe my thoughts about this bike living part of it's life as a submarine in Katrina, may not be warranted. I do have some corroded plugs/wire ends/battery terminals and the like, mostly up in and around the battery area. So, I've got lots of time consuming, de-pinning some plugs, cleaning them up and re-inserting them back into their plastic plugs.

As for the bent foot brake lever and shift lever, no biggie, in about a minute, I got them about 80% improved. Some fine tuning and, they'll be as good as new. I sat down last night and, ordered up on Amazon, a new battery, new air filter element, oil filter and, since I've got a broken right rear turn signal, I looked around and did find a couple but, their prices on even way used ones, were close to brand new so, I ordered up a kit of 4, wazoo LED turn signals. We'll see how they look and operate. I'm going to assume that, the right side wills still flash fast 'cause, the flasher will not detect the needed resistance to make it operate normally, even when it's flashing the normal front one and an LED rear. Again, no biggie. That's the least of my worries.

So, what's on the docket for today you might ask? Well, first off, I gotta head down to our local Department of Motor Vehicles and get into our name, gotta be legal ya know. Second, I think I'll yank that fuel tank and, throw some gravel in it and some water and, walk around the yard shaking that tank, sort of "chipping" away at that tank rust. Question for you experts. If and when, I get as much of the rust out as possible, should I just put the tank back on and run it? Or, should I go find/order up, some wazoo fuel tank coating to prevent that rust from returning? I remember looooooooonnnnnnng ago, some folks putting some coatings in tanks to prevent rust and, sooner or later, that coating broke loose and caused all kinds of problems in the fuel systems. What'cha think? Then, if and when the tank is done with its rock tumbling, I'll remove the carb and go through it. I'm assuming it's got at least some of that tank rust inside it, wont' know 'till it's apart.

Then, it's oil change time and air filter. At only 582 miles, I would not think it's anywhere near time for any type of valve adjustment, correct? But, it's been a HARD 582 miles for sure. Bone heads. I just can't fathom someone taking a $3,500 bike and DESTROYING it in such a short amount of time. I've had my '08 Goldwing for almost 11 years now and, it looks better now, than it did when we bought it and, it was only 7K miles on that clock when we bought it. How can people destroy nice things so easily? I guess if you got lots of money, you plain and simple, just don't give a rats ass. Well, I'm a bit different, I can ride and ride semi-hard but, still not destroy my equipment. You should see our Jeeps. They look as good as the day they were new but, they've been in some SERIOUSLY tough stuff in Moab, Colorado and a few zillion other places.

Anyway, that's it for now. Sorry for the long novel here but, that's the latest on the story of the "Blue Noid".
    Scott
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

First up – welcome to the board (you’re gonna need it)

Second up – congratulations on your purchase of a complete dog of an ‘07

Third up – see “first up”, especially the last bit

Fourth up – check out the “stickies” in the technical section, and look at the “bringing a bike back to life” thread, there’s nothing that can’t be done, but it needs doing “in order” – rush one thing, and you risk spoiling another

Do not attempt starting the engine at this stage, you have a lot of work to go through first – these carbs don’t have a sense of humour

Any questions – we are here for you ……..
    Sthrnromr, littletommy and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Purple,
    A whole lot of Thank you Sir. Very, very much appreciated. Yeah, as much as I'd like to get'r running and jump the little tyke for a trip, I'm gonna take my time, clean what needs to be cleaned and more. By the way, for those of you that have had to deal with rust in the tank, what was your procedure, what products did you use and, what do you reccomend?
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Welcome!
    So sounds like the Blue Noid will need some TLC in order to showcase it's inherent value. However once sorted out it will truly be your very own low mileage bike. Owner's service manual download and this forum's stickies and search feature can help with other issues like "where is the dip stick?".
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

M6 (diameter)x1.00(pitch of thread)x 20mm (length )
    Bolt hwas size is a 8mm (possibly 10mm).flange head
    Don't forget washers
    Get 4 and carry 2 extra
    Last edited by Maxpower; 06-28-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    87 TW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links