Placebo Effect?
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By tylermoney
  • 1 Post By Purple
  • 1 Post By tylermoney

Thread: Placebo Effect?

  1. #1
    Senior Member sibyrnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    310

    Placebo Effect?

    After 4000 miles on my 2017 I have made the move to synthetic - Mobil 1 racing Oil. The main reason was to help with the crude shifting and cold start clutch drag of the TW. I can't really say it helped that very much, BUT, the engine seems to be running smoother and quieter. Is that for real or just wishful thinking on my part? Can synthetic oil make a significant difference in engine performance?
    2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Purple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ynys Môn
    Posts
    4,594
    Yes, it can – things go “smoother” (to begin with)

    But just like Dino, synth can degrade over time - play that one by ear

    Whilst synth is better at a lot of things, change the oil as you would before, don’t wait for it to fail …
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

    TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Senior Member tylermoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    251
    I think I am just going back to standard Yamalube and changing oil every 600-1000mi. Oil changes are so easy and there is such little amount of oil in the TWs, I feel like it's just going to be a better move in the long run. Maybe I'll go back to synthetic at some point, but to date I haven't seen much of a difference.
    Peterb and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

    1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Super Moderator Purple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ynys Môn
    Posts
    4,594
    That’s the point – if you could see the difference, you’ve left changing the oil (synth or dino) too late

    The trick is to find the “turning point”, which is likely to be well after the dino gives up – and then change before that turning point happens

    But you’re right – if a litre of oil saves the engine, what the heck

    Doesn’t matter a damn at the end of the day, as long as you have access to an oil change at 600 to 1000. It’s the long range expedition rides where it really counts (or people like me who let it go to 1500)

    Then there’s “how” you ride, temperatures, terrain etc – until you see that there’s no “set lunch” here. There’s either synth, which last longer, or dino, which doesn’t. As long as you change it out at 600 to 1000, yes, there’s no difference – but what if you can’t (or don’t want to) ?

    Synth gives you that option – that little bit longer

    In an ideal world, I’d swap synth every 800 – but it’s still nice to know it would last for longer – it gives you that “option” ….
    tylermoney likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

    TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

  6. #5
    Senior Member tylermoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    251
    Well, right now I've got synth and it's been about 1000mi since my last change. I've got a gallon of Yamalube in the garage, so I'll be changing my oil as soon as I get back from my trip to Colorado next week—unfortunately I'm not taking the TW to Colorado... bummer. I'll play around with both in the coming months, but my big plan is to just try and change oil as much as possible for the time being. Especially being in Texas where temps are already super hot. The oil cooler helps some for sure, but it's still going to degrade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    That’s the point – if you could see the difference, you’ve left changing the oil (synth or dino) too late

    The trick is to find the “turning point”, which is likely to be well after the dino gives up – and then change before that turning point happens

    But you’re right – if a litre of oil saves the engine, what the heck

    Doesn’t matter a damn at the end of the day, as long as you have access to an oil change at 600 to 1000. It’s the long range expedition rides where it really counts (or people like me who let it go to 1500)

    Then there’s “how” you ride, temperatures, terrain etc – until you see that there’s no “set lunch” here. There’s either synth, which last longer, or dino, which doesn’t. As long as you change it out at 600 to 1000, yes, there’s no difference – but what if you can’t (or don’t want to) ?

    Synth gives you that option – that little bit longer

    In an ideal world, I’d swap synth every 800 – but it’s still nice to know it would last for longer – it gives you that “option” ….
    Purple likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

    1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

  7. #6
    Senior Member RockyTFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hailey, ID
    Posts
    3,377
    Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    ...... I can't really say it helped that very much, BUT, the engine seems to be running smoother and quieter. ...
    Well, my experience on two different TW's is rather different. I noticed the smoother clutch and shifting right away and will use Mobil 1 for the life of the bike. (2nd TW, 2018)
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

  8. #7
    Super Moderator Purple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ynys Môn
    Posts
    4,594
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    I noticed the smoother clutch and shifting right away
    Tell me how that goes 1000 miles down the line
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

    TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

  9. #8
    Senior Member Maxpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Waretown NJ
    Posts
    556
    Car engines go 5000 miles making hundreds of hp more while moving thousands of pounds of weight.
    I'm not saying changing oil at 600 is stupid, i change it around 1000. I even bought a oil cooler i never mountrd yet.I just think it can go much longer.
    I know gears meshing,wet clutches ,air cooling. But the bike makes 13hp and many rarely do over 50 mph . That's not much strain on the oil to me.
    87 TW

  10. #9
    Senior Member RockyTFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hailey, ID
    Posts
    3,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Tell me how that goes 1000 miles down the line
    ?? I am 1,200 miles from when I changed to Mobil 1 4T 10w40 and the clutch and gearbox is still smooth (er). I think my 2010 did get a little smoother as the mileage increased to 16,000. The 2018 is not as smooth shifting as the 2010 was when I sold it, but the clutch feels pretty much the same at 2,700.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

  11. #10
    Super Moderator Purple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Ynys Môn
    Posts
    4,594
    Sorry, thought you meant something different ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

    TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •