Chain came off
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Chain came off

Chain came off

Let's start by knowing I'm new to the motorcycle world. I have just over 900 miles on my 2019 tw.
    I set my bike down on its left side going up a sandy hill. While trying to walk it up the last bit of the hill in 1st gear, the rear tire dug a decent hole and I suspect the rear sprocket was in the dirt. I got up the hill and continued riding until my bike stalled. The chain had come off and got crammed between the front sprocket and a rubber guide piece. I got it loose and put the chain back on.
    But.
    While I was limping home the chain came off again in my driveway.
    Is this something that motorcycle guys deal with a lot? I've heard competing stories on chain stretch. I've also heard that stock tw chains are not very good.
    I hadn't checked the chain tension prior. Should this happen at 900 miles?
    Questions/comments please!
    Ken likes this.

Ken
    Inspect your chain and sprockets. If all appears ok lube that chain up good by soaking it in 80-90 weight gear oil, let it drip dry, reinstall and adjust to proper chain tension. This is not a normal thing for the chains to come off so easily. They stretch so easily I actually recommend a new o-ring chain before the sprockets get worn out.
    ZXtasy and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

The stock chains seem to stretch quite a bit for some folks, I'd say partly because it's not adjusted very well from the shop and wears prematurely. Putting weight on it can change tension as well. I've been exactly where you are before. If nothing is damaged you can probably clean and reuse. If my sprockets were in good shape still I'd get a new chain.
    Ken and Dryden-Tdub like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've heard that x and o chains are far superior to our stock chain. Is there a particular size for the 2019 tw? Is it bike specific or by the link or what?

Ken
    Application
    Make: Yamaha
    Model: TW200
    Year: 1995-2012
    OEM Sprockets Front-Rear: 14-50
    OEM Chain Pitch-Links: 428-122

It looks like all including the 2019 use a 428 chain. You can count your links on your current chain and cut to size if it is too long. Too long can be adjusted, too short and you're in trouble. Most on the forum like the removable master links. My reason is that I had a chain pop off and get hung once. I had to pull the master link off in order to untangle the chain to put it back on.
    Fred likes this.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

I had to tighten the crappy stock chain too many times and too often. I replaced it with an X Ring at 700 miles and haven't had to adjust it yet.
    Ken, Dryden-Tdub and SanDue like this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Is there a rule of thumb regarding how much slack is on the upper portion of the chain when reinstalling and adjusting a chain?

I've never heard of attempting to adjust a chain by slack on the upper run. The slack on the midpoint of the lower run should be 1.5 to 2.3 inches. Period!
    Ken, Fred, SanDue and 1 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

For sure, the lower run for the measurement to adjust slack. Since my chain fell off there is now slack on the upper run as well.
    Should the upper run be fairly tight with all the slack on the lower run or should there be some slack on the upper run also?
    Or am I over thinking it?

Forget the upper run, when you ride, that bit will go tighter anyway – it’s the lower run you need to be looking at

With the bike on the side-stand, walk up to it, and place the toe of your boot half way along underneath the lower run of the chain – and try lifting the chain up with your foot

If you have a couple of inches of slack, that a good thing – less than that it’s too tight, more than that it’s too loose – it’s not an exact science, just a quick test before you ride each time

You’ll get a feel for the method eventually, most of do it without thinking these days ….
    Ken and SanDue like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links