Tuning carburetor on 1992 CA tw200 - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tuning carburetor on 1992 CA tw200

By rip and strip, you mean remove and clean? I had removed the air filter prior to any work and checked, and it appeared that the P.O. had put in a newer, clean filter, it was slightly lubricated with what I'm assuming is filter oil and didnt appear to have any dirt in it, but I can certainly clean it with some soap and hot water and see if that makes any difference. I plan on replacing the battery and I've got a replacement coil on its way to me, so I guess I'll see how these changes affect it.

Fairy 'nuff - you hadn't mentioned that previously - as the air filter is a prime component in carb issues, I thought I'd bring the matter up

The "battery thing" was more of a "by the way" sort of a thing - yeah - it's on it's way out ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

For sure, much appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    Check battery posts and recommendations on the site. I got a small AGM battery for about $40.00 that is half the size and weight and outlasted my other batteries.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

swapped out the old coil for new this morning. Still has that flat spot at WOT, it sounds like a kind of rapid stuttering and jerks just slightly as it happens.

on a side note, which brand/ model agm batter are you using? Thanks!

Is there a possibility the float height is off, causing it to starve at WOT, but not through out the rest of the range? i tried attaching the old fuel drain hose to the float bowl and opening the screw to check what level the fuel would rise to, but it wasnt flowing out enough to fill the drain hose, however, if i unscrew it with no hose attached the fuel flows out of the float bowl drain no problem.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by efnick View Post
    swapped out the old coil for new this morning. Still has that flat spot at WOT, it sounds like a kind of rapid stuttering and jerks just slightly as it happens.

on a side note, which brand/ model agm batter are you using? Thanks!
    I got the Scorpian YTZ7S, $44.95 from Batterystuff.com at this time. I have been happy with it so far, a few months. It seems way better than all of the lead acid batteries I have had. I thought something was wrong with the starting system and was getting ready to trace all starting ground leads. It would turn over slow with a new lead acid battery. It works great with the AGM battery. That was from my post of 2/2017. It was smaller so I had to make spacers around it but it works great.

That WOT issue sounds like you may be lacking fuel. You may want to put in a bigger main jet. Our bikes were designed pre-ethanol so ethanol runs a little leaner. I would only go up one size.
    Last edited by Ken; 07-02-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

I would love to order a new main jet and try it out, but I dont know what size would be a step up from stock. I couldnt read the number on the main jet when I had the bowl off of it initially and I have read that the carbs in the 92 CA version had totally different jetting than your later models.

I have written this before -- jets wear out. Start with a brand new #114 high speed jet and a brand new #40 pilot jets -- if you buy them from Yamaha. The hole in the center erodes and gets bigger and the mixture gets richer. I have had this problem on my two '87 TW's and a friend who using Euclidian logic determined his mid 90's TW mixture needed to be richer but ordered a new #114 jet at my insistence (along with a variety of richer jets), had to painfully admit I was correct (and thereby he was wrong) in that it was running to rich to begin with when he installed the new #114 and it ran perfectly. Ha ha! Fun to be right sometimes.

Aliexpress sells about a dozen jets of you pick assorted sizes for about the cost of one jet from Yamaha. Ditto for pilot jets.

And lastly, it could be your CDI going bad. Hopefully not.

Where in Calif are you?
    Purple, admiral and Ken like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Southern California, here is a picture of the fuel level using the trick to check the float level-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links