Tuning carburetor on 1992 CA tw200 - Page 4
Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tuning carburetor on 1992 CA tw200

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You may need to put a smaller pilot jet in it for the idle circuit.
    Ken, i tried starting the bike this morning and it wasnt wanting to. Finally got it fired up and it was backfiring a lot and just running rough in general. Pulled the newer, larger diameter pilot jet and installed the old pilot jet after cleaning it out, again. Re-set air idle mixture screw to 2.5 turns from a gentle seat, and with full choke it fired right up and idled smooth. after warming up and the idle raising i tried going to slightly less than half choke, and it did OK for a few seconds, then backfired and started having issues maintaining idle. turned idle mixture screw in about a turn and it seemed to help, but ultimately not very much. It just doesnt want to idle off choke.

Ken
    I run Marvel Mystery Oil in every tank of fuel, about 1/2-3/4 of an ounce. Many say snake oil doesn't work but I have had good luck with it on my bikes, lawnmowers and all small engines. The last bike I bought, a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100, I was told needed a carb overhaul. I test rode it before I bought it. The bike popped and surged a little like it needed a carb overhaul. I paid the guy and left it at his shop until I could come back and pick it up. I brought gas with MMO in it, rode it off, got it inspected and title changed in the same day. That was a miracle. I never did anything to the carbs and now it runs perfectly. I have had it over a year now. Back to your TW. Have you done a compression test? Have you tried another plug? I have had plugs cause backfiring. I have had bad valves cause backfiring. Have you checked your timing chain tensioner to see if it's adjusted to spec? If it is still your carb, there is a hole in the throat of the carb that causes issues if it becomes clogged. I think it causes more midrange issues though. If it is mainly in your idle, add Berrymans Chemtool B12, Seafoam or MMO and go ride it in places where you can keep going. Maybe it will blow through after some hard riding. Another thing to check is fire it up at night and mist around the spark plug wire with a spray bottle of water and see if you're losing any spark. It will be great when you get this thing up and running like it should. Good luck.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

Finally got around to pulling the petcock and found it was quite a mess. Went ahead and did a vinegar treatment on the tank and replaced the petcock, cleaned the carb out again and added a fuel filter from petcock to carb, and set it to 2.5 turns on the mixture screw, fired right up! Wasnt wanting to idle well and so I set the idle mixture to about 3 turns out. Shes running with great power all through the power band, but she is cold blooded. Wants choke for quite a while, but after letting it warm up and gently riding for a bit, she will idle without choke! Still has popping on close throttle deceleration, and at idle it does pop and rpm waiver a little bit.

Want to do an oil change now, pulled the filter and there are a small ammount of silver metal shavings in the filter, and the oil IS dirty. Spark plug now has a nice brown tone to the diode. Still needs work but I think it may be ready to ride once I change that oil... what's up with the shavings? Mileage is now a hair above 2000.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken and jbfla like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    That sounds like you got the worst of the problem knocked out. Good job. It seems like it is pretty normal to have some shavings in the oil filter area, it is doing its job. Have fun riding now.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

That makes me want to pull my petcock and check it.
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Its certainly worth a look!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponosred Links