Couple questions on: Gas cap, front brake lever, and fuel petcock
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FIRE UP

Thread: Couple questions on: Gas cap, front brake lever, and fuel petcock

Couple questions on: Gas cap, front brake lever, and fuel petcock

Hey Gang,
    I'm in the process of sort of "restoring" an '07 TW200 with only 582 miles on it. We just purchased it. Needless to say, the old saying: "Road hard and put away wet" , sure applies here. This TW has had a hard, 582 miles. And, it was last registered, and possibly ridden, over 5 years ago. So, there's substantial rust in the tank, a bad battery, and quite a few other things that are fixable but, it's a bit of labor and a few bucks. No biggie. Now, to the questions at hand. When I removed the gas cap, the underside of it looked like it had been submerged in powdered sugar and water for the 5 years it hadn't been running. Needless to say, it was very sad looking. So, I took that cap completely apart, all the way down to almost the tumblers for the key. I cleaned each and every tiny piece, including all the screws and micro sized washers. Now, that cap looks outstanding. But, I have a question about it. It's a locking cap, I'm assuming like most of yours.

But, there was only one key that came with this bike. It does fit into and turns in the gas cap. I can see something turning when I turn the key. The key only turns 1/4 turn and stops. But, it will NOT COME OUT. I have to turn it back to where it started to remove the key. Hmmmmm, not sure what's going on here. Now, also, I think I'm missing something in the caps underside mechanism. Because, even when I've got the cap in my hand and turn the key to lock it, the rotating part that I see turning, DOES NOTHING in terms of moving something to lock that cap onto the tank. Pretty sure I'm missing something like to small levers that extend out, that will lock that cap from both turning and, coming off the tank. So, with all that being said, would it be possible for someone to take a pic of the locking side of the gas cap to see what I'm missing? I'd surely appreciate it.

Now, as for the front brake lever. It's broken. So, I'm on the hunt for a new one. But, based on the stub that's left on the bike, it appears it's a "short" style lever. But, when I look up replacements, all I see is what appears to be longer versions. I know there's short versions out there so, may I ask, where are most of you getting replacement brake handles, from Yamaha or, Amazon, ebay, what?
    Scott

And finally, since the tank had lots of rust, I did and, still are doing, a rust treatment for it. But, it appears the petcock is toast. It's corroded away and both screens are gone. So, I'm in need for a new one. Can I get recommendations on that too. I can find them on Amazon and ebay etc. But, I'd like to know from folks with real experience on where you got yours and, are you happy with it?
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

The top picture shows the gas cap in the locked position, and the bottom picture shows the unlocked position. Sounds like the previous owner disabled the locking mechanism by removing the locking arms.

TW gas cap locked.jpg

TW gas cap unlocked.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    ..... it appears the petcock is toast. It's corroded away and both screens are gone. So, I'm in need for a new one. Can I get recommendations on that too. I can find them on Amazon and ebay etc. But, I'd like to know from folks with real experience on where you got yours and, are you happy with it?
    Scott
    I would order a part like that from a Yamaha dealer. It is difficult to verify that what you are ordering from Ebay is actually the correct part for your TW. AFAIK, the petcock has not changed since 1987.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Brian,
    Yes Sir, you have parts in yours that I don't in mine. And it's highly possible that the bonehead that owned it before us, removed the locking tabs/bars. That's not the only thing that's missing/gone. No chain guard, no chain guide (bottom piece), no mirrors, no passenger foot pegs OR BRACKETS, no tool kit, no owners manual and only one key. Now, you don't mention it but, I assume, (sometimes that's a bad thing) that when your gas cap is in the lock position, you CAN remove the key, correct? I mean, what good would it do to lock it, if you can't remove the key??? As stated previously, mine turns to lock, but, my key won't come out in position.

Rocky,
    I just ordered the fuel petcock. It's an AFAIK model. Hopefully it's the right one. Yeah, sometimes I probably should order from Yamaha.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Turn the key a quarter turn anti-clockwise, and the cap lock is open, then turn the whole cap a quarter turn anti clockwise to remove cap from tank - they key is now stuck in the lock

Place the cap on the tank, then turn the cap a quarter turn clockwise, and then turn the key a quarter turn clockwise - the key can now be removed from the lock, and the cap remains locked to the tank

Due to the placements of the slots in the tank opening, the lock should be completely in the 6 or 12 0/c position before the key will turn and release itself from the cap
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Scott:
    A lot of us remove the locking tabs. (but save the parts so it can be put back to stock)
    Hey; you won't have to learn to follow "Purple's" instructions above. ^^^^^^
    Just makes one less thing to deal with at the gas station or out on the trail.
    If you get another cap - you don't have to have one key for the ignition and a 2nd for the cap.
    If you get a larger aftermarket tank - they don't have a locking cap.
    And lastly; if someone wants your gas; they can force the cap off; or just pop off or cut the hose at the petcock and drain it.
    Of course if the bike has to be left outside in a high crime area or where jerks might what to add a little sugar to your tank; that is always something to consider.
    Wish you luck getting it all set up. You will have a blast with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Turn the key a quarter turn anti-clockwise, and the cap lock is open, then turn the whole cap a quarter turn anti clockwise to remove cap from tank - they key is now stuck in the lock

Place the cap on the tank, then turn the cap a quarter turn clockwise, and then turn the key a quarter turn clockwise - the key can now be removed from the lock, and the cap remains locked to the tank

Due to the placements of the slots in the tank opening, the lock should be completely in the 6 or 12 0/c position before the key will turn and release itself from the cap
    Aaaaaaaaaaahhha,
    That makes perfect sense!! You know, somethings in life actually are done/made/thought of and more, with common sense. This kind-a is one of them. You just had to 'splain it to this old fart so he could realize its game plan. Thanks a heap for that.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by old w/?? View Post
    Scott:
    A lot of us remove the locking tabs. (but save the parts so it can be put back to stock)
    Hey; you won't have to learn to follow "Purple's" instructions above. ^^^^^^
    Just makes one less thing to deal with at the gas station or out on the trail.
    If you get another cap - you don't have to have one key for the ignition and a 2nd for the cap.
    If you get a larger aftermarket tank - they don't have a locking cap.
    And lastly; if someone wants your gas; they can force the cap off; or just pop off or cut the hose at the petcock and drain it.
    Of course if the bike has to be left outside in a high crime area or where jerks might what to add a little sugar to your tank; that is always something to consider.
    Wish you luck getting it all set up. You will have a blast with it.
    Old W,
    Yes, I now surely see the reasoning for the removal of the locking tabs. I don't know how much "gas stealing" is still around in the U.S. It was popular (if you want to use that word for theft) way back decades ago when two things were present, and non-present.
    1. Locking gas caps. When they weren't around, yes, gas theft was quite a bit higher. Install one and, the theft rate descended by quite a bit
    2. Anti-siphoning component installation. For those that know what I'm speaking of, it's a small, spring loaded tin type door, just below the filler spout in most automobiles. The gas nozzle from a station would push it out of the way while filling the tank. But, if you were a would-be thief, if you stuck your trusty rubber hose in the tank, that little door acted like a barb, you could not get your hose back out. The two-brain-celled thieves figured out that, if you use a strong probe of some type, you could push that door down and out of the way, so you could retrieve your hose.

But, I'm thinking, even with a completely full tank, a thief's gonna get what, maybe a gallon? Hardly worth it, in my opinion. But, in any case, due to you folks edumacating me, I now realize what's what with my gas cap. Thanks so much.
    Scott
    Purple likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Scott, it was 'modded' and you didn't even know it I promptly removed the lock pins on my '07... hate locking gas caps.
    Levers, if you don't mind buying directly from their country of manufacture, there's a really nice set of folding and adjustable levers available for under $30 (price varies randomly it seems, I paid under 25), takes a while to ship (shipping's free at least). The fit, finish, function and anodizing (multi colors too) is excellent. There's a pair on my TW, Super Tenere and Buell (non folding) and I even had them on a KLR (whose handle bars must have been closet farmers... they were always trying to dig in the dirt)… they've all survived many drops... Except the Buell... It's not allowed to play in the dirt.
    link: (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295...2d284c4dvPXyzt)
    It's never too late to be assimilated...

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak View Post
    Scott, it was 'modded' and you didn't even know it I promptly removed the lock pins on my '07... hate locking gas caps.
    Levers, if you don't mind buying directly from their country of manufacture, there's a really nice set of folding and adjustable levers available for under $30 (price varies randomly it seems, I paid under 25), takes a while to ship (shipping's free at least). The fit, finish, function and anodizing (multi colors too) is excellent. There's a pair on my TW, Super Tenere and Buell (non folding) and I even had them on a KLR (whose handle bars must have been closet farmers... they were always trying to dig in the dirt)… they've all survived many drops... Except the Buell... It's not allowed to play in the dirt.
    link: (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295...2d284c4dvPXyzt)
    Hey Kayak,
    I surely appreciate you helping me here. Wow, those levers are GREAT! But, as usual, I already ordered a set up. The ones I ordered are similar to those though. Here they are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We'll see how they work, come Wednesday, when they and, my new fuel petcock arrive from Amazon. I'm presently on the hunt for some rear turn signals. it's a long story but, we just purchased this bike just shy of a week ago and, it was badly treated in its infancy. It's not only missing quite a few things but, it was layed down on the right side which, scratched the headlight plastic, damaged the exhaust pipe protector (just below the spark plug), the spark plug boot (bakelite) is broken and the tip of the spark plug was bent over by about 30 degrees. The right rear plastic fender is scratched all to hell as well as the muffler. AND, the right rear turn signal is broken off. So, I'm on the hunt for maybe some smaller LED turn signals. I purchased a set of sequential ones from Amazon but, due to them being LED, they don't sequence like they're supposed to. So, still on the hunt. Thanks again for your assistance here.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Sponosred Links