Ok gang, let's talk sprockets and chain. Ratio's vs weight of driver etc.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ok gang, let's talk sprockets and chain. Ratio's vs weight of driver etc.

Ok gang, let's talk sprockets and chain. Ratio's vs weight of driver etc.

Hey gang,
    Well, I just got our new to us, 2007 TW (aka The Blue Noid), running after owning it for a week. I had to do a lot, just to get it to this point. But, all that's in the past and, it runs like a champ. I took it out for the first ride and it zipped around our neighborhood like a champ. Now, here's some specs. I'm 6' 2.5" tall and, am presently around 240 lbs. I know, I know, I'm a bit LARGE for a TW but, it's a run-a-round bike for jaunts here and there. I've got an '04 Honda GL 1800 if I want to really scoot some place. So, in my initial run, it seemed to go through the gears rather rapidly. I was running up hill grades (oh, about maybe 5-6% grades and it was accelerating in 5th but, it was winding fairly high at around 40-45 mph. I wish I had a tach on this thing.

Now, the bike came with a 60 tooth rear sprocket and, I don't know what the front one is. Gotta figure out how to count it without removing the engine side cover. I don't like removing it, unless I'm gonna change that sprocket and chain etc. But, by looking it up in the owners manual, the bike comes with a 14 T front and a 50 T rear. It's been a while since I dealt with gearing and messing around with that stuff. So, a few questions for you experienced buffs out there.

Without getting too personal,

1. What do you weigh?
    2. What combo of front and rear sprockets do you have?
    3. What did you have, if not original and what did you accomplish with your new choice?
    4. Where did you get your new sprocket(s) and chain?

Now, the reason I ask for your weight is, we have to talk apples and apples here. If I'm 240 and get a certain reaction from my TW 200 going through the gears, UP HILL and run at a speed say, 40-45 and think it's pretty topped out, And, you're only 125 lbs and running the same bike only, with say, the stock sprockets 14/50, you're gonna get a whole different reaction of the bike, on the same type hill(s) etc. 'cause, you're lighter and, you're running taller gears. So, again, it helps if ALL the information is displayed so somewhat correct calculations can be made for a possible change to a different set of sprockets.

One of the reasons I asked where you got your sprockets/chain is because, I've read some reviews on Amazon from folks that have purchased "kits" (front/rear and chain) and, some of the sprockets, specifically the rears, did not fit correctly and, some mods had to be made. Well, I don't want to modify ANYTHING. It should be as simple as purchasing a new set of sprockets and BOLTING THEM RIGHT ON, without having to have to drill our holes, elongate anything or, alter anything but maybe the chain length which, is a given. I appreciate any help here in advance.
    Scott
    Ken likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

I'm a solid 250lbs, started with stock 14/50, switched to 15/50. Bought it at 916mi, currently a little over 6k mi, made the switch around 2k I think. I find it good for keeping the rpms down on the road while still having plenty of grunt for off road as well. Will likely keep it at 15/50 unless I find another half dozen HP and torques laying around that I didn't know was there. Got front and rear sprockets along with o-ring chain from Procycle, swapped all of it on at the same time. The rear sprocket from Procycle is dished a bit, and you will need to double up on the washers or get thicker washers since you run up against the unthreaded shoulder on the sprocket bolts.

We see a variety of sprocket combinations here depending on riding style, terrain, elevation, personal preference as well as weight to be carried. So do not expect a single conclusive answer. No answer is perfect for all conditions. I suggest you try to optimize the TW's versatility in the conditions you will most likely use the bike.
    Mostly street jaunts around Lake Havasu? Then the 60 tooth may not give enough top speed but have first gear grunt you would only need in the mountains. Then a 50 tooth might be better for you.
    Ken and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I'm a solid 250lbs, started with stock 14/50, switched to 15/50. Bought it at 916mi, currently a little over 6k mi, made the switch around 2k I think. I find it good for keeping the rpms down on the road while still having plenty of grunt for off road as well. Will likely keep it at 15/50 unless I find another half dozen HP and torques laying around that I didn't know was there. Got front and rear sprockets along with o-ring chain from Procycle, swapped all of it on at the same time. The rear sprocket from Procycle is dished a bit, and you will need to double up on the washers or get thicker washers since you run up against the unthreaded shoulder on the sprocket bolts.
    nihil,
    First off, it's good to know there's OTHER larger type boys on these "smallish" TW's. Most of the time, when you watch ads or youtube vid's on these TW's, the tester or rider is considerably lighter and smaller. So, I do appreciate your input here. It's almost exactly what I was looking for. And, it sounds like your combo of the 15/50 is treating you well. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of back woods or, in our neck of the woods, dusty dirt trails so, I'm thinking I might try your ratio. This is gonna be about a 90% street bike and, 10 or less % dirt bike. But, ya never know. Thanks for your help here.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    We see a variety of sprocket combinations here depending on riding style, terrain, elevation, personal preference as well as weight to be carried. So do not expect a single conclusive answer. No answer is perfect for all conditions. I suggest you try to optimize the TW's versatility in the conditions you will most likely use the bike.
    Mostly street jaunts around Lake Havasu? Then the 60 tooth may not give enough top speed but have first gear grunt you would only need in the mountains. Then a 50 tooth might be better for you.
    Fred,
    Yes Sir, I completely agree. Everyone's riding habits, weights, terrains and more, will dictate what kind of setup, works for each. I just wanted or asked for, some stats so I could make a better informed decision based on my weight etc. Also, yes, during my initial test run today, I was in 5th before I knew it and it didn't slow down any on any of the uphill runs, due to that 60 tooth sprocket. But, on the other hand, it's spitt'n out the RPMs rather highly at a mere 45 mph. So, it's time for some test flights on other ratios. Thanks for your help here too.
    Scott
    Ken likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

I had a stock front sprocket, and went to a 55T rear sprocket, this was so I could easily do pulls in second gear up steep terrain at 5-10 mph. I seemed with stock gearing, I kept lugging and near stalling in second until I changed the rear sprocket. And first gear was always too low to be useful when momentum was necessary. I was hunting for more torque at certain speeds.

It did limit top speed to about 60mph which was fine by me.

I am looking for fork and rear shock swaps with tuning options for TW200, so it can be much better damped on techy trails. The stock suspension is OK for lower speeds, but not suitable for high speed hits and deflections. I want to get another one for DS events where 2 strokes aren't welcome, but big bikes are too much for me to handle. But I need that suspension to work great. I am looking at cartridge insert options that may not even exist, yet, but I am planting a bug in peoples ears. Many TW riders would like to see a real suspension performance option. A TW200 with a great suspension would be awesome for these road/trail events, with fuel stops every 60-80 miles, it would be ideal.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

[QUOTE=ToolmanJohn;1009300] I had a stock front sprocket, and went to a 55T rear sprocket, this was so I could easily do pulls in second gear up steep terrain at 5-10 mph. I seemed with stock gearing, I kept lugging and near stalling in second until I changed the rear sprocket. And first gear was always too low to be useful when momentum was necessary. I was hunting for more torque at certain speeds.

IMO this absolutely is the crux of the matter! Well said!

My TW is a 6 speed, 229cc, and about 30 lbs lighter than stock....I run a 520 chain and the final drive ratio is about equal to 14/52 with the 428 chain. Combined, this allows my TW to become a hill climbing machine w/o bogging in SECOND gear. The stock TW is a little too slow in first gear to maintain momentum and attempting the same climb in second would typically result in bogging....First gear is used in slow technical sections and avoids having to slip the clutch too much.... For street riding, this gearing works great up to about 40MPH. First gear is useless on the street.

I think Yamaha pretty much nailed it with the stock 14/50 gearing...
    Last edited by lbxr; 07-04-2019 at 12:48 PM.

The back country trails I have ridden around Lake Havasu had some very step valleys that require some low end to get out of. Stock gearing would require slipping the clutch on some of them as I could not keep my moment from heading down to transitioning to the up hill. I actually stopped at the top a few of them and pondered if I go down, will I get out and that was with 14-55 and a Duro. The stock gearing will require you to be a bit more aggressive on some off road obstacles. The lower gearing allows for a gentler approach, sometimes.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    The back country trails I have ridden around Lake Havasu had some very step valleys that require some low end to get out of. Stock gearing would require slipping the clutch on some of them as I could not keep my moment from heading down to transitioning to the up hill. I actually stopped at the top a few of them and pondered if I go down, will I get out and that was with 14-55 and a Duro. The stock gearing will require you to be a bit more aggressive on some off road obstacles. The lower gearing allows for a gentler approach, sometimes.
    Yes Sir,
    We've been in many of those "step" (I'm assuming you mean STEEP) valleys with our Jeep and, yep, there's some fairly ugly terrain around Havasu. But, I'm not planning on doing SEVERE trails with this little tyke. If, and that's a big IF, I do any trails here, it's gonna be on the easy side of difficult. I'm 66 years old and, as stated, I'm hovering around 245 so, trying to make this little 200cc TW haul my large FRAME (instead of you know what) around, well, if I wanted some real capable dirt grinding CC's, I'd opt for a 400. But, this is a play toy on both the side streets and a tad bit off road. So, I just ordered the stock 14T front, 50T rear and a new 428 non O ring chain. I'll stick those on early next week and tootle around and see how it does. As stated before, the way it's geared now, with a 60 T on the rear, I'm out-a gears at about 40-45 mph without screaming the guts out of that little 200 cc motor. I'm not one for pushing the limits on engines. I'm the one that has to fix it and pay for it if I broke it. I don't mind conquering any type of terrain, steep, up, down, and more in the Jeep but, out there, on this little machine, naw, I'll stick to the easy stuff. I just wish there were some of the same type of trails you boys in the midwest and east have. The wooded types that are fun to be on instead of all desert. Oh well, it is what it is.
    Scott
    Ken and Fred like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    HAM, KI6OND

Ken
    I'm around 210 lbs and I have 14 x 49 sprockets. I'll run wot even if it screems. i have ridden around 65 sometimes ideally it will hit 70 mph rarely.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

Sounds good Fire Up.
    Just go as far and as extreme as you feel comfortable with 14x50 sprockets then maybe back off a bit.
    I run 13x55 but that just gets me deeper into trouble at times off road. I could have just as much fun in milder terrain with milder gearing.
    I think we all tend to push machinery to a point where man and machine seem to be in harmony. To push beyond that can start to detract from the pleasurable sense of being in nicely in control of the bike and your fate. You can learn. You can improve. But you can also get bruised.
    Imagine you will be happy most of the time with your new gearing choice.
    Ken and Darth like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links