• 1 Post By edwards151
  • 1 Post By jeepster09
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS
  • 1 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS
  • 2 Post By Fred

Thread: Clutch Slip while bike is warming up

Clutch Slip while bike is warming up

It seems that my clutch is slipping, more noticeably in higher gears, for the first 15 or so minutes of riding. I noticed this for the first time last summer a couple hundred miles after purchasing the bike from a private seller.

The bike is a 2004, has 1500 miles on it, half of which are mine. I just changed the oil for the first time using Yamalube about 100 miles ago, but have no idea what was in it previously.

I understand that using the wrong oil can cause slipping so maybe the previous owner used some oil with additives? It seems like the bike has too low of miles for the clutch to be worn. Iíve checked and adjusted the clutch lever free play and that hasnít made a difference. Are there any articles/videos out there on how to adjust the clutch, if thatís what is needed? Or do I need new clutch plates??

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

My last TW did that and I ended up replacing clutch. Not a very hard job.

"Life Member NRA"

Yes, most likely the PO used any old oil, not one for wet clutches. If so, you will need to replace the clutch plates. Since you have to do it anyway, go for Barnett plates and springs. You will never have that problem again!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    I never changed them out when my clutches slipped from non-wet clutch oil. I just did an oil change and added 4 ounces of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer then filled the rest up with wet clutch oil. I never changed them out when my clutches slipped from non-wet clutch oil. I used non-wet clutch oil on a regular basis for a long time and I just ran the Lucas in it and never had a problem. 42,000 miles on that set of clutches and they weren't really worn out.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

That's interesting. Never heard of that product.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Lucas makes a wide range of some very good products mostly centered around their proprietary compound. Founded by Forest Lucas this company is a great example of American capitalism and how a self taught simple man can make a fortune, treat his employees exceptionally well while contributing to many a philanthropic causes. He started out with a trucking company and desired something to improve fuel mileage, reduce engine wear and basically keep his fleet on the road longer and more economically. Happy workers, a good product line, gives back to the community...this free enterprise is what makes America great. His trucking company only suffered when the government's Interstate Commerce Commission complicated process for small trucking firms to operate in 48 states. Little companies just can't pay lobbyists as much as the majors for preferential treatment .
    Ken and jbfla like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. ďMr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered Iíld Rather Be Motorcycling

Is this the "Prince of Darkness" ?
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

No, it's his nephew.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Sponosred Links