New guy intro (and I could use some advice)
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Old Guy

Thread: New guy intro (and I could use some advice)

New guy intro (and I could use some advice)

Today is my one-month anniversary of buying my 2019 TW200. Love it. Yesterday I broke it. I could use a little advice (maybe a lot).

This post is my introduction as a new guy on the forum, an old guy riding motorcycles, and an inept motorcycle shade tree mechanic. I lurked on the forum for a couple of months before joining. I learned a lot–there are some talented folks here. Since my 600-mile dealer service last week, this forum gave me the courage to lower my TDub (I’m inseam challenged and lower all my bikes), shorten an OEM sidestand (from eBay), add a Battery Tender tether and USB power port, install a Jimbo windscreen, replace the OEM chain for a DID 428VX chain, as well as swap sprockets to gear my TDub to favor street riding. All went well …or so I thought.

In my sauna-garage, I erred by misplacing the lower dowel sleeve from the left side cover in the engine case as I replaced the side cover. The dowel found it’s way between my rotor and stator, where it jammed the stator and gouged the rotor as I slowly test rode it for maybe 100 feet in second gear before it froze. During that 10-second test ride, I heard a rattle which I mistook for the new chain striking my chain guard. In my garage, I removed the side case, discovered and pried out the damaged dowel sleeve then reassembled (sans dowel sleeve). Though the rotor is scored for just over an inch, there’s no apparent damage to the stator (the dowel was jammed between a mounting bolt head and the rotor side wall). Now the engine will crank, but I have no spark. Fuse is good; all other electric parts work.

What have I done? Do I need to replace the rotor and stator? (Seems do-able--I’ve read the forum posts on that job.) Or is there another fix I should try? Please help!
    2019 Yamaha TW200 (current)
    2010 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide FLHTK (current)
    2003 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail FLSTCI (current)
    1992 Kawasaki KE100
    1982 Yamaha SR250 Exciter
    1976 Honda CB550
    1970 Honda QA50

MSF RiderCoach

The CDI takes its power from one coil, the reg/rec from another, and then you have the "pulse coil" which, when a magnet passes it, tells the CDI when to fire

One of them is potentially severed

At this point, you are looking at replacing the entire stator assembly - those coils are not available separately, and have never heard of someone successfully re-winding one

Sorry your first post had to turn out this way - but welcome to the board regardless .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thank you for confirming what I suspected. It's a bit of a relief to get an expert assessment other than from my dealer's service advisor. Wife and I are headed out on vacation for two weeks (now without the TDub). I'll get the assembly ordered so I have it when I get back. Based on the tech forum, the replacement installation doesn't appear to be an overwhelming task: pull the old, bolt in the new, and plug it in. Maybe two hours for a shop; one day (with proper tools) for me.
    1992 Kawasaki KE100
    1976 Honda CB550
    1970 Honda QA50

MSF RiderCoach

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Is it possible that you pinched a wire when you replaced the stator/side cover?

You might want to check that before you start replacing expensive electrical parts.

I have been promoted to expert ? – hey, cool

Perhaps a more realistic term would be “familiar with the bike” - but yeah, I get you, it’s good to have an “informed second opinion”

There is a well known user fault, where by replacing the crankcase outer cover (magnets pulling it all over the place) can result in the wires going from the stator up and out of the engine can be pinched, thus cutting / shorting power to the CDI, resulting in loss of spark

Worth checking …..

(TW-Brian beat me to it)
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Unfortunately, no, the wires aren't/weren't pinched. I learned to check those wires from this forum. I even clipped, and replaced, the zip tie along the frame in order to give them a good wiggle. If only I had double-checked that lower dowel sleeve when repositioning the side cover, I wouldn't be in this predicament now. I become a sloppy fool when the temp soars over a hundred in the garage. Thanks for the ideas.
    Purple and tylermoney like this.
    1992 Kawasaki KE100
    1976 Honda CB550
    1970 Honda QA50

MSF RiderCoach

Sponosred Links