New TW200
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New TW200

I just got into the (seemingly) wonderful world of TW200s. I'll use this thread to document changes I made, keep photos, and ask questions regarding the bike.

A little background on myself. I used to race pedal bikes but just got my motorcycle license last September so Im SUPER new to motorcycling. I like to wrench on my cars and toys myself in my driveway. I can do pretty much anything if I have a guide or general idea of what to do so hopefully with all your help I'll fix this puppy up! I plan on driving a truck up to Alaska from the east coast with this bike in a trailer hitch mount. Once there I'll use it around town and to play on the trails on off days.

I just bought a 1987 TW200 with 1399.4 miles on it. I havent had much time to look over the whole bike in detail but I do know the following: speedo cover and indicator lights covers are missing. small rip in the seat. Battery is toast, PO says starter works. Front brake doesnt disengage as strongly as I'd like. Oil seems to be leaking from the kickstart shaft seal. Tires are almost bare. Mirror mounts on the levers are busted. Could use some paint.

I'd like to tare the whole thing down and rebuild it. I'd like to paint the frame, engine, and possibly plastic. Any ideas on paint? I saw some brake caliper paint at WallyWorld. Would that be ok to use on the engine? Would any old Rustoleum work for the frame, handlebars, and fork? I dont have a compression tester but the motor seems to run good. Aside from checking the valves and the kickstart seal I dont plan on take the motor apart.

I have a motorcycle junkyard somewhat near me so I'm wondering what bikes my bike is similar to. Is it the same engine as the XT225? What bikes have the same speedo/neutral light assembly, blinker/kill switch handle bar clamps?

I'm just starting to look through the Technical Help section. Lots of reading to do

welcome to this crazy new world!

i'll try and address the issues i know.

1. speedo, plastic and seat are all the same across the whole line of t-dubs. speedo, had a trip odometer added in 2001 or '02. for plastic, there are a myriad of colors to chose from, or you can paint them too. seats are easily recovered, there are several sellers on ebay, i paid under $20 for mine. many opt for seat concepts new pad and cover, but thats closer to $150.

2. paint, do a search for many threads on paint people have used for frame and engine. your black widow color scheme is a popular one.

3. there are some engine parts that are usable off of the xt225, but not many. lzrdbrth has done a list of parts from several bikes including the ttr225 that swap.

know that the '87 is a one off year for the cdi, they have been known to be problematic, and parts are near impossible to get.

enjoy the bike and there is a wealth of info on here to make your ride better, faster, stronger.... but like steve austin, it can cost 6 million+

ride on!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joe band View Post
    speedo, had a trip odometer added in 2001 or '02.

i have a 2000 with a tripometer...welcome!...i saw that bike up on craigslist somewhere in new england...i remember posting it in the CL thread...to search this forum easily go to google and do a site specific search...for example enter something like this into the google search bar: site:https://tw200forum.com battery

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Before the weather came thru today I tried starting the ol girl. When Id have the choke out it'd fire up and build revs like how a normal engine would but after a few seconds itd die as if I hit the kill switch. If I tried starting it again it wouldnt with choke or without it. It seems like its flooding out because if I wait for a bit and try again it'd do the same thing. Any ideas as to whats going on? Again I didnt really get much time to look at it or mess with it. Anyone experience this? I guess they changed carbs after 2001? Anyone know what this carb is called? Thanks.

you're probably going to need to go through the carb (clean/inspect)...maybe you're having some trouble with the float...

OEM parts can be found here...

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...4/Model/TW_200

take a look at the pinned topics in the technical section here...there is a carb cleaning topic as well as other helpful info...

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/for...echnical-help/

Today I spent an hour playing with the bike. Looks like its running real rich. I put the pilot screw at 2.5 turns out and still seems rich. I'm not going to take it apart or anything because my motor was a little low on oil and I didnt want to run it too much with low oil. Once I get some oil in it and run it up to temp Ill start adjusting things or probably just take the carb off and go thru it.

I also had a chance to look over the whole bike. Overall I think its in decent shape for the year and price I paid. Need a few things though.

My "dash" is all smashed. The indicator lights and speedo are missing their cover but both work. Theyre zip tied to whats left of the meter bracket. Does anyone have the whole shebang for a decent price? It's an 87 with no trip meter. Dont know if that matters. If I can get the OEM one cheap enough I'd like to go that route, if not I may look into the TrailTech Vapor Stealth and get rid of all the busted stuff. Can I cut the wires off the indicator lights and splice them right onto the Vapor unit?

Does anyone know the dimensions of the kickstart shaft oil seal? I'd like to get one at the local hydraulic/oring type store because I think thats the only one I need and I dont want to wait for shipping.

Untitled by BC4Lyphe, on Flickr

Ended up ordering the kickstart seal, filter, throttle tube, spare key, annnnnd some other things I cant remember at my local Yamaha dealer. They said theyll be here in a week. Got some Valvoline Motorcycle 10w40 oil at WalMart along with a Silverstar Ultra headlight. Excited to tear into this bike! Tomorrow I'm going to go to the junkyard and see if I can get the OEM speedo and bracket. I'd rather have the oem dash if I can get them at a decent price. If not, looks like the Vapor will take the cake. Thanks for your input guys.

Tonights task will be researching engine and frame paints. Trying to figure out what matches up best with the factory paint, what will hold up to rust and scratches, and most importantly what will hold up to the engine temps. Also I'm going to look thru my pedal bike junk and see if I have a pair of old brake levers I can use. My mirror studs are all busted up.

Has anyone tried taking apart the left handle switch? My high beam button busted off and I was wondering if its replaceable.

The microfiche online shows 2 throttle cables for the '87. Is there really supposed to be 2? If so is the 2nd one totally necessary?

Another thing. This is my "helmet hanger assembly". I'm assuming theres supposed to be an arm that pivots from below the torx screw up into the hole just below the key slot?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links