Intermittent missing and/or stalling just above idle while driving
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Intermittent missing and/or stalling just above idle while driving

Question Intermittent missing and/or stalling just above idle while driving

Just picked up a used 2012 TW200 for $2,250 and was told everything was perfect. Got it home and after warmup I noticed that the bike would stall or mis when moving the throttle just above idle while driving down the road. Full throttle and response seems normal, just the slight twist in throttle produces the intermittent stall/misfire. Previous owner mentioned he once took it into the shop because it would not start and they told him it was bad/old fuel and took care of the issue. After that he swore he never left bad fuel in the tank. Seller sold the bike because he no longer gets time to use it.

So...should I ditch all the current fuel and try some fuel treatment? Any recommendations for brand of treatment. Or should I start somewhere else?

Thanks for any help and having this website up.

John

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    I recently had success with a Sea Foam treatment. My bike had sat with fuel in the tank for who knows how long. I used more than recommended by the manufacturer, approximately 3 oz/gallon. I then went for a 5 minute ride and parked my bike for about 3 days due to rain.

The next time it was started, the rough idle and generally poor performance had greatly improved. It's not a substitute for a proper carb cleaning, but for $12 a can, it couldn't hurt to try.
    Purple likes this.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Dump fuel - add fuel - and as above, add seafoam

Don't expect an instant miracle, run a tank through it

If that doesn't work, report back and we'll make other "suggestions" - but as the last poster said, "for $12 a can, it couldn't hurt to try."

Welcome to the cruise ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If not a "miss" due to a spark issue, it is going lean when throttle is first opened.
    Possible issues include:
    1. Mixture screw not far enough out, typically 2 1/2 turns from gentle seat
    2. Pilot jet slight build up of crud
    3. Needle too lean
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 07-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Dump the gas. Run some seafoam or barryman's b-12, as suggested. Use non-ethanol gas from now-on. Let it warm for 5 mins or so before you take off
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

I should add, I had the "miss" at idle and sometimes while riding. I thought at first it was an electrical issue, but I read these forums and got some members input which led to the mixture screw adjustment, as SportsterDoc said 2.5 turns out.

The popping under decel was gone, and much better all around ride-ability. The 2.5 turns out and a good dose of Sea Foam has made my bike so much better. It only cost me $12! Hate to think what the dealer would have charged.

*mixture screw not idle
    Last edited by TeeDoubleUTwoHundred; 07-11-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: mixture screw, not idle
    Purple likes this.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Thanks for all the feedback. I will give this a shot. BTW, the bike does "The popping under decel" like the last post.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

There will most likely be either a brass or aluminum plug/cap covering the mixture screw. I threaded in a small 3/4" screw, then slipped some needle nose pliers over the screw, and tapped the pliers with a small hammer to get the cap/plug free.

Good luck and have fun.

To augment TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's comments:
    Usually drilling the cap with a 1/8" drill bit will free the cap as the drill is about to break through.
    Otherwise a sheet metal screw will grab the cap to spin out the cap or allow wiggling with pliers.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    If not a "miss" due to a spark issue, it is going lean when throttle is first opened.
    Possible issues include:
    1. Mixture screw not far enough out, typically 2 1/2 turns from gentke seat
    2. Pilot jet slight build up of crud
    3. Needle too lean
    I had the exact same symptom; just coming off idle, the motor had a flat 'dead' spot. I added 2 shims to the needle and upped the pilot jet. Problem isn't there any more. I do have a very slight dead zone at 3000rpm when the throttle is maybe 1/8th of a turn off idle. I imagine it's the needle, but raising it doesn't fix it. I either need a different taper on the needle or an over all smaller diameter on the needle to cure that portion of the throttle curve. I don't know of any other needle profiles that work for this carb or I'd try 'em.
    BTW, I tune my idle fuel screw to 2 turns out. Past that point, no effect. Less and it's lean and does a lean 'pop' when chopping the throttle coming down from 5K rpm. I'm guessing a size up on the pilot would 'fix' that, but it's not a performance issue I want to worry about. Besides, a larger pilot jet burns more fuel and would affect my range on a tank of gas.
    The bear slayer!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links