Finally working on my TW
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1enick72

Thread: Finally working on my TW

Finally working on my TW

Finally working on my 89 TW. I cleaned the tank and used tank liner. Looks it sat way too long before I got it and there are things frozen in the body of the carb so that is a loss. Any word or info on the $30-$40 carbs on ebay? Are they worth anything or should I just spend the money for a decent used one? What are the recommendations?
    Ken likes this.
    1986 BW200E
    1986 BW225E project (200 with TTR225 engine transplant)
    1989 TW200
    2007 CRF250X

Ken
    If at all possible I would rebuild that original carb. What is frozen in it? Did you use a JIS screwdriver or did you strip the factory screws? I have one of the knockoff carbs and it would start and sounded great until underway where it seemed to be way over fueled where it would just bog down with no power trying to attain a higher speed. That is just my experience though, others have used them and had great results. I didn't feel like playing with the jets, I wanted to ride so I stuck my old one back on. I was just trying to see if it was a performance enhancer and for me it wasn't.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

You must be careful when buying a used carb for the TW unless you know the actual condition from a good seller. There are far too many roached carbs being sold as is and who really knows what is wrong inside of them. If you want to be riding your bike from the day a carb arrives just buy a new OEM one and spend the $$. It will arrive ready to go and all you need to do is pull the plug over the pilot screw and set it at between 2-2.5 turns out and a very minor fine tune from there after the engine is warmed up to operating temp.
    If you can get the cheap carbs to work and the right one that fits both boots it might be worth trying but as stated by Ken, some had great success while others not so much.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, When I bought the bike it had been sitting for a long time. I pulled the carb and removed the bowl and the corrosion was nasty and crusty. I soaked it for a couple days and still no luck freeing anything. After looking over the carb the bike got pushed into the back of my shop. Good to know about the used ones, I have run into this same thing with the BWs I have. I guess I will look over my options and see what is available for new and go from there.
    1986 BW200E
    1989 TW200
    2007 CRF250X

Quote Originally Posted by 1enick72 View Post
    Thanks guys, When I bought the bike it had been sitting for a long time. I pulled the carb and removed the bowl and the corrosion was nasty and crusty. I soaked it for a couple days and still no luck freeing anything. After looking over the carb the bike got pushed into the back of my shop. Good to know about the used ones, I have run into this same thing with the BWs I have. I guess I will look over my options and see what is available for new and go from there.
    Those BWs, the 200 and 80s have a completely different carb but the 350 has a TK just like our TWs but I think a tad larger. Very easy to rebuild those if you can source the parts and most are still available. Wish I could view pictures of your roached carb before giving any advice.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Those BWs, the 200 and 80s have a completely different carb but the 350 has a TK just like our TWs but I think a tad larger. Very easy to rebuild those if you can source the parts and most are still available. Wish I could view pictures of your roached carb before giving any advice.

GaryL
    I just meant as far as people selling "good working" and you get it and it looks like it's been sitting in the ocean for 20 years.

I'll take a couple pictures and see if I can post them. I could not even get the pin out of the float arm with a small torch punch and small hammer.
    1986 BW200E
    1989 TW200
    2007 CRF250X

A buddy showed me pics of a TW that was in NOLA during Katrina and got dunked and left for just about a month. The bike was a total loss and not much on it could be saved. He did manage to get the kick start gears and the clutch basket out but had a real hard time just getting that side cover off. Salt water is a very bad thing wherever cars, trucks or motorcycles are driven or submerged. Up here in NY we get a bunch of those vehicles that were from flood zones down south at the auctions as Salvage Titled. Never saw one that was worth even bothering with once it got a salt water bath. I have seen a couple nice Corvettes that were sunk in the Delaware freshwater river for a few weeks and then recovered after a train carrying them went off the track. They were a lot of work but they did survive with not much corrosion at all once they got completely dried and gone through. Likewise with a few outboard motors rescued from the depths and a few snowmobiles that sunk to the bottom. Salt is a killer but fresh water can come back in all their glory. If the TW came from a salt environment and got left untouched for any length of time then you have your work cut out for you and I would just buy a new carb but live to expect other serious issues down the road. I have seen some roached carbs be brought back and also a few that were just trash. Pictures will be good to see and knowing the past history of your TW will be a good start.

GaryL

Sponosred Links