Actual amount of oil for a TW 200 oil change? - Page 2
Close
    
    
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Actual amount of oil for a TW 200 oil change?

  1. #11
    Senior Member tylermoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    247
    Well, actually, it's a bit closer I guess if you're using US Quarts, but for imperial quarts... anywho, I just did my oil change with liters (technically I converted to OZ because my measuring cup didn't have liters ... and my base Yamalube is a large bottle). Anywho, it's right at the max fill line after starting/running, and letting sit.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

    1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

  2. #12
    Senior Member FIRE UP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Lake Havasu City AZ
    Posts
    186
    Well gang,
    I do thank you all for responding here. Although it's not the end of the world, in the link one of you posted with an owners manual section, it does say "1.16 U.S. Quart" and, it says the exact same thing in my 2007 TW200 owners manual. In my manual it states: " Without oil filter element removal, 1.00L (1.06 U.S. qt.) (.88 Imp qt.) , "With oil filter element, 1.0L (1.16 U.S. qt.) (.97 Imp. qt.).

    I will just use one quart.
    jeepster09 likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

  3. #13
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,088
    Maybe I missed it here but after every oil change and as soon as you start the engine you must open the bleeder bolt in the head behind the spark plug to make sure oil is flowing to the head. I don't know why but on some TWs when you drop the oil the oil pump supplying the oil to the head loses prime or might form an air bubble and the bleeder bolt is there to fix this issue. Failure to observe oil flowing to the head could result in failure of the head. I am not sure if this could be why the sight glass looks over filled nor do I know how much of the oil is in the passages going to the head but I do know a few times after I changed the oil and started the engine when I cracked open the bleeder bolt I observed a goodly amount of air bubbles come out before it flowed solid oil.

    The manual states the amount of oil with the filter change is 1.16 US Quarts which is 37.12 US ounces. This means you add one full quart of oil, 32 ounces plus another 5.12 ounces from the second quart. I have always found that sight glass to be a useless POS anyway and only good to tell you when you are low on oil. Just pour in 37 ounces of fresh oil, open the bleeder until it flow straight oil and no bubbles and call it good. A little over in the sight glass could simply be a matter of the bike not being level when you are looking at it.

    GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 07-17-2019 at 01:59 AM.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member Ski Pro 3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    El Dorado, California
    Posts
    802
    How much oil is supposed to flow out that hole? I changed my oil last week and cracked the bolt open and took a full 2 minutes to see it get 'wet'. I unscrewed several threads and oil very slowly oozed out. I let it do that for about 15 seconds, then closed it back up. Does that sound about right?
    The bear slayer!

  6. #15
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    How much oil is supposed to flow out that hole? I changed my oil last week and cracked the bolt open and took a full 2 minutes to see it get 'wet'. I unscrewed several threads and oil very slowly oozed out. I let it do that for about 15 seconds, then closed it back up. Does that sound about right?
    You probably had an air block which is why it took so long to start flowing out and good thing you did it. With my engine running I just crack the bolt open about one full turn and what I usually see is some air bubbles before the oil oozes with no more bubbles. Less than a quarter ounce is all I ever lose when I do this.

    GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  7. #16
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    17,390
    Correct me if I'm wrong...

    1000 cc's capacity which is stamped on the engine = 1.05669 quarts = 33.81408 ounces.
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Maybe I missed it here but after every oil change and as soon as you start the engine you must open the bleeder bolt in the head behind the spark plug to make sure oil is flowing to the head. I don't know why but on some TWs when you drop the oil the oil pump supplying the oil to the head loses prime or might form an air bubble and the bleeder bolt is there to fix this issue. Failure to observe oil flowing to the head could result in failure of the head. I am not sure if this could be why the sight glass looks over filled nor do I know how much of the oil is in the passages going to the head but I do know a few times after I changed the oil and started the engine when I cracked open the bleeder bolt I observed a goodly amount of air bubbles come out before it flowed solid oil.

    The manual states the amount of oil with the filter change is 1.16 US Quarts which is 37.12 US ounces. This means you add one full quart of oil, 32 ounces plus another 5.12 ounces from the second quart. I have always found that sight glass to be a useless POS anyway and only good to tell you when you are low on oil. Just pour in 37 ounces of fresh oil, open the bleeder until it flow straight oil and no bubbles and call it good. A little over in the sight glass could simply be a matter of the bike not being level when you are looking at it.

    GaryL
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

  8. #17
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,088
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong...

    1000 cc's capacity which is stamped on the engine = 1.05669 quarts = 33.81408 ounces.
    Not wrong Tommy, That is the capacity without the filter change. I am going by the manual which says 1.16 US Quarts and that comes out to the 37.12 ounces with the filter change.

    GaryL
    littletommy and tylermoney like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  9. #18
    Senior Member FIRE UP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Lake Havasu City AZ
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Not wrong Tommy, That is the capacity without the filter change. I am going by the manual which says 1.16 US Quarts and that comes out to the 37.12 ounces with the filter change.

    GaryL
    This is why I asked the original question, to find out if many, most, or no one actually adds the .1 qt in an oil change. I thank all of you for responding here.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

  10. #19
    Junior Member mikidymac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    22
    Just did mine yesterday, new to me 2018 with 285 miles. Cleaned both filters then dumped in one sealed quart of Yamalube 10W-40 and after running for a few minutes and sitting a few minutes is was exactly on the upper line of the sightglass.

  11. #20
    Senior Member RockyTFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hailey, ID
    Posts
    3,376
    Exactly where it is supposed to be! Why do so many people have to beat this to death? In the US, put in one quart....in the EU, put in one liter.....period.....end of story.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •