Actual amount of oil for a TW 200 oil change?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Actual amount of oil for a TW 200 oil change?

Actual amount of oil for a TW 200 oil change?

Gang,
    Well, once I got my recently purchased, 2007, 582 mile (on the clock) TW running, I immediately changed the oil. Now, the manual says 1.1 quart with the filter change. Who, in their right mind, would change oil WITHOUT changing the filter? I mean, this little motor works its guts out to power us around so, why not do a COMPLETE oil change? Anyway, as stated, the manual states 1.1 quarts. Well, I put in one quart and, stood the bike up to as much of a straight up vertical position as I could and, that little window was almost completely covered in BRAND NEW OIL. I started the bike and ran it for about 5 or so minutes. Then, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and stood it up vertical again and, the oil level was again, in the same spot and almost covered the glass completely. I did not install the other .1 of a quart. So, the question is, do you boys buy two quarts and use just a tiny amount of the second one and, do that at each oil change 'till the second quart is used up? Or, do you just put in one quart and be done with it?
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

So far it's just been a quart at a time, but that would mean that it's a little lower each oil change. I even have a base gasket leak and haven't had low oil yet. I just try to please the sight glass without overfilling, really. Too much oil can be a problem for seals and the life of the engine so do avoid that. I figure if I run low for some reason, I'll open another quart and keep it around until I need the next quart for an oil change and just rotate the old oil like food, always having an opened jug. That said, I haven't needed to do that yet.

The filter on these doesn't really hold oil like your car or truck and such, and it's even reusable. I keep a spare so I can alternate but I just clean them with penetrating oil and a brush.

Oh and one more thing, make sure to open the bleed bolt for the oil in the head a little bit when you start it and check for oil flow. Making sure it's getting up there is a good habit.
    Last edited by assquatch20; 07-15-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Did you warmed up the engine and waited for it to fully drain?
    In my car at least, I changed the oil twice without previously warming up and it didn't fully drained both times.
    Also, you drained from the drain bolt beside the shifter,not the drain bolt at the oil filter housing right?
    Maybe, if the bike was neglected and way overdue of an oil change,there is sludge buildup in e.g. the sump taking volume away from the oil?
    I wouldn't use an overfilled engine though.
    You may just burn it,but worse things can happen too...
    Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    Oh and one more thing, make sure to open the bleed bolt for the oil in the head a little bit when you start it and check for oil flow. Making sure it's getting up there is a good habit.
    +1
    Errtu likes this.
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You should be good with 1 quart. Just check it from time to time.
    "Life Member NRA"

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    So far it's just been a quart at a time, but that would mean that it's a little lower each oil change. I even have a base gasket leak and haven't had low oil yet. I just try to please the sight glass without overfilling, really. Too much oil can be a problem for seals and the life of the engine so do avoid that. I figure if I run low for some reason, I'll open another quart and keep it around until I need the next quart for an oil change and just rotate the old oil like food, always having an opened jug. That said, I haven't needed to do that yet.

The filter on these doesn't really hold oil like your car or truck and such, and it's even reusable. I keep a spare so I can alternate but I just clean them with penetrating oil and a brush.

Yep,
    That's what I do is, satisfy the sight glass. The ".1" quart ain't gonna happen. Not that I can't afford another quart and, just use a tiny bit from it when I change it. I just kind-a wanted a consensus on how many diy types actually put the .1 quart in when doing an oil change. I didn't "bleed" it when I changed it 'cause I didn't know about the bleed screw. I will next time. Now, as for oil filters, well, it may really not need to be changed and can be re-used, I'm not one for putting an old filter back into place. So, I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are correct in all features. Just too darned cheap to not insert a new one, each oil change. But, that's me so, take that for what it's worth. Thanks for your response here.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by YamTW87 View Post
    Did you warmed up the engine and waited for it to fully drain?
    In my car at least, I changed the oil twice without previously warming up and it didn't fully drained both times.
    Also, you drained from the drain bolt beside the shifter,not the drain bolt at the oil filter housing right?
    Maybe, if the bike was neglected and way overdue of an oil change,there is sludge buildup in e.g. the sump taking volume away from the oil?
    I wouldn't use an overfilled engine though.
    You may just burn it,but worse things can happen too...

+1
    Well Sir,
    Yes, if you read my post, you'd see I did start it up, ran it for a while and then shut it down AND, I let it sit for quite a few minutes BEFORE I drained it. Yes, I used the regular drain bolt, next to the shifter. And, although this little TW might have been a tad bit "neglected", it only had 582 miles on it when we bought it a couple of weeks ago. So, "overdue" for an oil change, well, probably not. In fact, I'm not sure but, right around 500 miles might be the correct time for a new motor (New TW mileage from original purchase date and time, not "rebuilt or new motor installed in the bike) to change the oil anyways, correct? So, even then, if this was the case, then that engine was only 82 miles over the 500 mile mark. So, most likely zero chance of "sludge" build-up. I have changed oil in a zillion vehicles, motorcycles and more and, have done it when the engine is dead cold, warm and HOT. And, I've always got the same amount of oil out of them in either case. The only real difference is, the oil drains a bit faster when the engine is hot.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Yep,
    Well Sir,
    Yes, if you read my post, you'd see I did start it up, ran it for a while and then shut it down AND, I let it sit for quite a few minutes BEFORE I drained it. Yes, I used the regular drain bolt, next to the shifter. And, although this little TW might have been a tad bit "neglected", it only had 582 miles on it when we bought it a couple of weeks ago. So, "overdue" for an oil change, well, probably not. In fact, I'm not sure but, right around 500 miles might be the correct time for a new motor (New TW mileage from original purchase date and time, not "rebuilt or new motor installed in the bike) to change the oil anyways, correct? So, even then, if this was the case, then that engine was only 82 miles over the 500 mile mark. So, most likely zero chance of "sludge" build-up. I have changed oil in a zillion vehicles, motorcycles and more and, have done it when the engine is dead cold, warm and HOT. And, I've always got the same amount of oil out of them in either case. The only real difference is, the oil drains a bit faster when the engine is hot.
    Scott
    I did read your comment,and you say that you warmed the engine after the oil change.
    Also,even though the engine has 582 miles, it's 12 year old,and if it has hever had an oil change it will 100% have "sludge" and it's way "overdue".
    Well, I put in one quart and, stood the bike up to as much of a straight up vertical position as I could and, that little window was almost completely covered in BRAND NEW OIL. I started the bike and ran it for about 5 or so minutes. Then, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and stood it up vertical again and, the oil level was again, in the same spot and almost covered the glass completely.
    Scott
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I get my engine good and hot and as soon as I shut off the engine I crack open the drain plug and even the fill plug and it drains quickly. The oil is pretty hot on the fingers even through a rubber glove. Tip it back and forth wait a till it stops dripping and I still only 1L will bring it to the gallery line.

I just assume the .1 is lining the entire engine and maybe trapped in some of the corners and crevices etc.

Getting the engine hot helps get most of the crap floating in the oil. Sludge, or whatever you choose to call it, will be more likely to come out with the oil. An engine technician at a John Deere dealer once told me "If you change to oil cold, don't bother to change it". That has always stuck in my brain.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Gang,
    Well, once I got my recently purchased, 2007, 582 mile (on the clock) TW running, I immediately changed the oil. Now, the manual says 1.1 quart with the filter change. Who, in their right mind, would change oil WITHOUT changing the filter? I mean, this little motor works its guts out to power us around so, why not do a COMPLETE oil change? Anyway, as stated, the manual states 1.1 quarts. Well, I put in one quart and, stood the bike up to as much of a straight up vertical position as I could and, that little window was almost completely covered in BRAND NEW OIL. I started the bike and ran it for about 5 or so minutes. Then, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and stood it up vertical again and, the oil level was again, in the same spot and almost covered the glass completely. I did not install the other .1 of a quart. So, the question is, do you boys buy two quarts and use just a tiny amount of the second one and, do that at each oil change 'till the second quart is used up? Or, do you just put in one quart and be done with it?
    Scott
    It's 1.1lt not quarts ... if you're doing 1.1quarts that will be a bit too much oil. That may have been mentioned below, but I haven't gotten through the entire thread yet...
    Trail Woman likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

See attached for service manual reference. If you did quarts, then it is NOT surprising that your oil window is completely covered. 1lt = .946 quarts.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.55.02 AM.png
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links