Rapid oil leak
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rapid oil leak

So I'm losing a solid 3-4 drops every time I stop somewhere. If oil is thinned, I can lose as much as a two-quarter sized puddle! I check the oil level EVERY time before I start the bike and it regularly sits just under the top line! When it drips, it leaves gold drops in the snow so I know it's fresh oil. Currently, my oil filter cover is leaking and my base gasket is leaking. My question is, could the gasket between the two pieces of crankcase be leaking?? It appears to come from there as it is dripping in the dead center of the motor, but I cannot dismiss it as the base gasket dripping. Is this common for this gasket between the crankcase pieces to leak? Bike is an '06 with ~6000 miles. I cannot find the replacement gasket to save my life if this is the issue.

Thanks,

Kyle
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

Check the seal behind your front sprocket.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Do I need to remove the cover over the front sprocket to access it?
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes, you'll have to remove the cover to get to it. I'd pull the skid plate off and try to get a look from underneath it first. It may be something else, but that's a good place to start.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

" Is this common for this gasket between the crankcase pieces to leak? Bike is an '06 with ~6000 miles. I cannot find the replacement gasket to save my life if this is the issue. "

Yes this a problem with the 06' and some 07'. You can replace it with a 2010 or newer gasket. There is a sticky in the Tech section for this fix.

I got a quote for $400.00 for the dealer to fix, others on here say it takes a few hours but can be done by yourself.

Tracy
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    " Is this common for this gasket between the crankcase pieces to leak? Bike is an '06 with ~6000 miles. I cannot find the replacement gasket to save my life if this is the issue. "

Yes this a problem with the 06' and some 07'. You can replace it with a 2010 or newer gasket. There is a sticky in the Tech section for this fix.

I got a quote for $400.00 for the dealer to fix, others on here say it takes a few hours but can be done by yourself.

Tracy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I got a quote from my dealer of $250.oo I guess that wasn't to bad then... Both my 06 and wife's 06 has the same small leak........ It's so small I haven't even bothered to fix it yet......... OMM.

That is a good deal. If it was only $250 I would have it done. But the leak is so small that I never see the oil level change, and no drops on the floor just the engine case.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post

Tracy

I might just be being stupid, but I don't see the thread. Just to clarify, this is *not* the base gasket between the cylinder and crankcase. It is the gasket between the two main pieces of crankcase as shown in this diagram...

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemp...30b6/crankcase

As you can see, no gasket is listend for this

I have pulled the skidplate before and it was already all mudded up. *looked* like it was coming from between the two cases. The only thing that leads me to believe this is not the issue is that I only get 3-4 drops (or the puddle if I rode for a while) after I park it for 1 day or 4 days. So, once it's been off, the leak stops. I don't know if this is because the oil thickens or if it's because the leak is higher.

Kyle
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am

Have you attempted to retorque the bolts?......no-doubt,replace the oil filter cover o-rings and others.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Have you attempted to retorque the bolts?......no-doubt,replace the oil filter cover o-rings and others.

I'm actually looking at the valve cover gaskets (adjusting valve lash!), oil change gasket set, and TDC gasket set! They came in today Re-torquing all the bolts are on my to-do when I fix all these other gaskets. I'm also changing out the clutch here soon, so that gasket is getting changed soon as well.
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links