Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By bodhi4
  • 3 Post By Purple
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By bodhi4
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian

Thread: Oil View Window Broke

Oil View Window Broke

Hey All, I'm mildly savvy with fixing little things on the bike, oil changes, etc, but recently the window where you view the oil level somehow became dislodged and I have oil spewing out of it. I can see it in there. It's not broken, just isn't in place anymore. Is this common? Easy fix? Also, is it related that the clutch doesn't work now? (No pressure when I squeeze the handle.)

thx!
    Ken likes this.

Let’s start off gently here ….

Dislodging the “oil window” is almost unheard of, so first up, congratulations on setting a precedent.

I have no idea of how they’re set in there to begin with, but think “plastic onto metal” contact glue, and I reckon you’ll have a decent starting point. You’ll have to clean the contact surfaces of any trace of oil of course, but otherwise it should be fairly straightforward

This reminds me of an episode of “Black Adder”, where he was headed to America by ship. Upon asking for any maps on departure, he was handed a sheet of blank paper by a cartographer, with the suggestion that “If he could fill it in as he went along, we’d all be grateful”

Yer clutch – different ball game, and likely to be unrelated. From the symptoms you describe, my first thought is to check the return spring on the crankcase …..

P8180093.jpg
    white mule, Ken and UncleRandy like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Here is what your oil level sight glass looks like.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...654ea8dac3f4e7

I have never tried to take one of these out, nor had to replace one but it looks like it may just be pressed in with some type of rubber seal securing it into the right side engine cover. But that's just my guess.

When I get home tonight I will look at a side cover from the inside and see what that tells me.

The right side cover is easy to remove. You can just just lay your bike over on its left side if you don't want to drain your oil (although it sounds like you may have already lost most of it). Hopefully you will be able to find the dislodged sight glass and it hasn't caused any additional damage. You will also have access to your clutch so you can start troubleshooting that problem at the same time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks to both of you! Good info. Yes, I feel pretty (un)special that I can't find this happening to anyone else anywhere on the internet. Sabotage?! Seems like it's easy enough to get that cover off though and have a look as you are correct that most of the oil is splattered on the side of my garage.
    TW-Brian likes this.

Since the sight "glass" is inside, there was likely an impact.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

I just changed the brake fluid on mine and it looked like the sight glass was pressed in from the outside.

My bad, I didn't read it was the oil site glass.
    Last edited by Errtu; 07-22-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I'm Stupid
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Here is an oil level sight glass from the inside of the right side engine cover. I am going to stick with my original guess that this item is pressed into the side cover. Any guesses on what the blue paint indicates?

IMG_2152[1].jpg

And here it is from the outside of the right side engine cover.

IMG_2153[2].jpg
    admiral likes this.

Sponosred Links