Front sprocket noise?
Close

Hey everyone,new to the forum,this is my first post.

I have a 2009 T Dub that had a 50 t rear and a 13 t front.I changed the rear to a 45 t and everything worked and sounded fine.I then put a 14 t front and now the bike seems to have a knock coming from the front.I only feel it when coming to a complete stop.The bike has only 700 kms.I"ll try putting the 13 t back on to see if maybe that fixes it.Could it be a bad 14 t or something else.

Thanks for any and all input.

Was there any gunk inside the cover?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Was there any gunk inside the cover?
    No,it was very clean because I changed the rear 45t front 13t and chain(renthal 420 non O-ring)all at the same time.

They were all brand new parts.I wanted a little more speed for the pavement so I went with a 14t front after about 20 kms on the new chain and sprocket.The noise started immediately after installing the front sprocket.I would describe the noise being similar to having a loose motor mount almost as if there is something bouncing around down there.Again,I only feel it at low speeds coming to a stop.I haven't done any work to it other than sprocket's and a chain so I guess I'm assuming it's the front sprocket.

Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Did you use a chain tool on the chain? (stiff link). I think the 13 tooth used a different connection to the primary shaft. Did you use the stock bolts and plate to hook the 14 back up? Did you give your self a little more chain slack now that you are using a bigger sprocket (tighter chain). Well, I am out of ideas....... Good luck, and let us know what you find out. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Well,I guess the first thing I should do is change my name to dumbass or stupid(any suggestions?)

Checked the tension on the chain and guess what,thats right,waaaay to tight.Before loosening I also checked the alignment and guess what,thats right,two notches out of alignment.Set things where they are supposed to be and now the sun shines in my little world once again.

But I still don't understand what happened because I always check and double check(triple check next time I guess)

Actually,I've heard that the motorcycle gremlins were in town right around the time I installed the 14t.Those little buggers.From now on I'm leaving the light on 24/7.

No, not DA or Stupid. How 'bout - Experienced!

I was wondering what the outcome would be. After your experience, I'll be sure to keep mine checked and re-checked. And should I hear a similar noise, I'll know what to check first.

Thanks for sharing your humbling experience.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links