Gunk on Chain - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gunk on Chain

Your sprockets should be fine but do inspect them when you change the chain.
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Most likely you'll be OK. Skip the sprockets.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    ....I'm thinking I may find some different lube, clean and start again. If it continues, I guess I'll upgrade the chain.
    I used BelRay for quite a while and it always made a mess of dried out gunk on chain and sprocket. This is what I switched to about 6 years ago and now no mess, no build up....well, just a little.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use Kerosene and an old small paintbrush to clean the chain about every 3-400 miles. The Z-ring chain is one of the best upgrades....no stretch, no adjustments, 10,000 mile life or more.
    tylermoney likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    I used BelRay for quite a while and it always made a mess of dried out gunk on chain and sprocket. This is what I switched to about 6 years ago and now no mess, no build up....well, just a little.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use Kerosene and an old small paintbrush to clean the chain about every 3-400 miles. The Z-ring chain is one of the best upgrades....no stretch, no adjustments, 10,000 mile life or more.
    I also use Kerosene and a grunge brush for the cleaning, but I just spray it with a spray bottle and use cardboard to "protect" the wheels, tires, etc. The paintbrush makes a ton of sense for lube application though.

Regarding the "Z-Ring" chain. Procycle has an O-Ring chain, and I've found a DID X-Ring chain specifically for the TW, but I am NEW to the "Z-Ring" chain concept—very similar to an "X-Ring" from my research? Do you have a recommendation on what Z chain works well for the TW? I guess it needs to be a 428/122L chain? I searched "Regina Chians," but in the 428 seclection, it doesn't seem that their z-ring is an actual option?

Thanks!
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

I believe the belray you mentioned is a wax based lube and used on a wet chain would trap in the moisture resulting in rust.

I use offroad yamalube and in 5 years of riding just offroad I only replaced my OEM chain and sprockets last summer. And I ride rough terrain and wheelie which is especially hard on the drive train. I don't thoroughly clean often (occasional hose) but the lube seems to displace water/dirt and prevent rust, though it does get thrown off with the dirt and require a spray once or twice a week, especially after getting it wet. Varsol and a brush would be a better way to clean a chain which I don't do often because of the chemicals.

I also noticed after cleaning there appears to be some dirt build up around the front sprocket or the swing arm pad that gets back on the clean chain.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 07-23-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Darth likes this.

Just use an 80w90 oil for chain lubing.
    It's cheap and also what DID recommends on every DID chain I have ever seen...
    Just make sure to let the bike sit overnight for the excess oil to drip,otherwise you will lube yourself instead of the chain
    elime likes this.
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    .....I am NEW to the "Z-Ring" chain concept....
    Me too....I meant X-ring......damn small keyboards! DID X-ring at 122 links for stock sprockets is what you want.
    tylermoney likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

x ring chain made (sold by?) by JT sprocket people. Buy a long one and cut to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JT-428-X1R-...7e6eabe5232bec
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Thanks all. I've got a DID X-Ring chain on it's way with a 15 front sproket. Going to adjust my gearing to be a little more road prone since I do travel on roads quite often, and from what I have seen, that doesn't effect the overall off-road ability in any noticeable way. It's like a 7.1% increase in speed and decrease in torque.

We'll see how it goes

Note: I am also going to route of the 80w90 oil for "lubing" the chain—though you don't necessarily need to lube x-ring chains like you would a standard chain. Anywho, thanks again for the advice. I'm sure I'll be updating the "what have you done with..." thread once I get it all installed.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links