Switching blinker indicator to LED.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Switching blinker indicator to LED.

Switching blinker indicator to LED.

EDIT: This fix works for an LED indicator with incandescent turn signal bulbs - or LEDs with resistors.

I've been removing as much current draw on the bike wherever possible to free up wattage for other add-ons that are going to be put on this fall. I was doing the blinker indicator more so to put a really bright indicator in there as I have been known to ride like a 200 year old with my blinker on forever, so I put in an ultra bright LED into this spot to make sure it catches my eye even on a bright day. One thing I ran into that was odd was the socket for just this one light socket is reverse polarity from the factory from what one would expect, with the center conductor being negative and the outer socket being positive (the neutral and high beam indicator sockets are what you would expect with the center pin as positive). Anyway... if anyone out there decides to go this route, the fix is easy and doesn't require doing any splicing/soldering/heat shrink. Just trace back the wires to the six position connector behind the headlight, pull it apart, and reverse the wires in the socket only one side to make the socket have the center conductor being positive. (On my 2013 this is the dark brown and green wires in this connector, the center conductor being brown.) Just put a thin tool like a scribe into the socket side (in the little square void) to push down the catch on the wire connector while pulling on the wire on the back to release it, and then bend this little tang back up a little before pushing them back in to so you hear them click back into place and you can't pull them out from the back. From one side of the connector to the other, you should see the brown wire now line up with the green and vice versa.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 07-27-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan75 View Post
    I've been removing as much current draw on the bike wherever possible to free up wattage for other add-ons that are going to be put on this fall. I was doing the blinker indicator more so to put a really bright indicator in there as I have been known to ride like a 200 year old with my blinker on forever, so I put in an ultra bright LED into this spot to make sure it catches my eye even on a bright day. One thing I ran into that was odd was the socket for just this one light socket is reverse polarity from the factory from what one would expect, with the center conductor being negative and the outer socket being positive (the neutral and high beam indicator sockets are what you would expect with the center pin as positive). Anyway... if anyone out there decides to go this route, the fix is easy and doesn't require doing any splicing/soldering/heat shrink. Just trace back the wires to the six position connector behind the headlight, pull it apart, and reverse the wires in the socket only one side to make the socket have the center conductor being positive. (On my 2013 this is the dark brown and green wires in this connector, the center conductor being brown.) Just put a thin tool like a scribe into the socket side (in the little square void) to push down the catch on the wire connector while pulling on the wire on the back to release it, and then bend this little tang back up a little before pushing them back in to so you hear them click back into place and you can't pull them out from the back. From one side of the connector to the other, you should see the brown wire now line up with the green and vice versa.
    MtnMan75 thank you very much for the solution to the problem I've been trying to solve for the same reasons as you: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...eshooting.html Any chance you took any pictures that you can share?

I'll give this a go on my 2017 when I have the headlight off to replace with the JNS unit. I'll report back my experience once completed. Thank you again!
    Purple likes this.

Any chance you took any pictures that you can share?
    EDIT: again this is for an LED indicator using incandescent turn signal bulbs.
    I went ahead and popped it apart for ya . Really easy fix. Color codes may be different for different years. I'm still waiting on a service manual for this bike to show up that may show the differences (if any) between the years.

Pop open the indicator light house and determine which color wires are your blinker indicator. Then trace that back to the six pin connector.
    IndicatorLights1.JPG
    IndicatorLights2a.JPG
    IndicatorLights3a.JPG

Hope this helps
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 07-27-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    TW-Brian and admiral like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

MtnMn75,
    Ok, now that this is all done for you, the question is, did you accomplish your goal of attaining a brighter turn indicator light? I'm in your league. If I don't pay attention, my signal's on for how many miles? I'm used to my rolling sofa, an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing which, has self canceling turn signals. So, this old brain doesn't have to worry about that stuff. But, on the T-dub, yep, gotta pay attention to that kind of stuff. So, yes, I'd like a brighter turn indicator too. May I ask, if you do confirm it's MUCH brighter than the stock one, which LED or part number did you purchase? Thanks in advance. I'm eventually gonna change all the turn signal bulbs to LEDs so, I'll have to do that diode thing in that area anyways.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

I went ahead and popped it apart for ya . Really easy fix. Color codes may be different for different years. I'm still waiting on a service manual for this bike to show up that may show the differences (if any) between the years.

Pop open the indicator light house and determine which color wires are your blinker indicator. Then trace that back to the six pin connector.
    IndicatorLights1.JPG
    IndicatorLights2a.JPG
    IndicatorLights3a.JPG

Hope this helps
    MtnMan75 - can't thank you enough for taking the time to take the pics and add notes. Should our paths cross some day, a cold beverage of choice is on me.

I'll be doing this over the weekend and report back if there are any differences, how it worked out, etc. I have a 2017 FWIW.

Thank you again!
    MtnMan75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunkyMonkey View Post
    MtnMan75 - can't thank you enough for taking the time to take the pics and add notes. Should our paths cross some day, a cold beverage of choice is on me.

I'll be doing this over the weekend and report back if there are any differences, how it worked out, etc. I have a 2017 FWIW.

Thank you again!
    Let me know if the brightness of your indicator is good with the flasher relay you're using. I now have to work out that gremlin after installing the LED flashers/DRL's tonight and the indicator is dim once again.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 07-26-2019 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    MtnMn75,
    Ok, now that this is all done for you, the question is, did you accomplish your goal of attaining a brighter turn indicator light? I'm in your league. If I don't pay attention, my signal's on for how many miles? I'm used to my rolling sofa, an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing which, has self canceling turn signals. So, this old brain doesn't have to worry about that stuff. But, on the T-dub, yep, gotta pay attention to that kind of stuff. So, yes, I'd like a brighter turn indicator too. May I ask, if you do confirm it's MUCH brighter than the stock one, which LED or part number did you purchase? Thanks in advance. I'm eventually gonna change all the turn signal bulbs to LEDs so, I'll have to do that diode thing in that area anyways.
    Scott
    With the incandescent bulbs in there it was much brighter. I ordered part 53628 (White) 57 LED from LEDlight.com Tonight I installed the LED flashers/DRL's and now the indicator bulb is dim again, but I don't have the LED flasher yet. I ordered a 2 wire Tusk from RMATV, but not sure that it is going to really help at all. I have a voltage drop across the pins for the flasher of only 4-5 volts and the same at the indicator socket so I have to figure this out next. Really hoping the flasher solves the problem by using capacitance to charge up and discharge across the LED, so we'll see what happens. I don't get my flasher until Monday.

edit - here is a pic of that LED to give you an idea (after I figured out the problem). It floods out my camera
    blinker indicator LED.JPG
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 07-28-2019 at 10:23 AM.

You need the same colour as the lens (dashlights only) ......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Let me know if the brightness of your indicator is good with the flasher relay you're using. I now have to work out that gremlin after installing the LED flashers/DRL's tonight and the indicator is dim once again.
    I just finished and can confirm that my LED signal light works but is dim after swapping the green and brown. Signals blink at normal rate and brightness. I tried with both flashers I have LF1-S-PIN and LF1-S-FLAT and experienced same with both. I at least have something where before I had no signal light. My high beam and neutral lights are still SUPER bright.

I did find this old thread that offers yet another alternate solution: https://www.tw200forum.com/forums/99574/ShowPost.aspx

I'm going to leave it be for the time being and install my JNS headlight so I can get out for a ride before I start my chain/sprocket upgrade, check valves, change oil/switch to synthetic, adjust mixture screw, etc. service later today, tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    You need the same colour as the lens (dashlights only) ......
    Found that not to be the case. All of them are bright and visible with white lights under them. The super bright white LED worked awesome with the incandescent blinkers. Just need to work out this issue with the LED flashers now robbing the voltage from the turn signal indicator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links