Is there any problems with "multiple" master links?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Is there any problems with "multiple" master links?

Is there any problems with "multiple" master links?

Gang,
    I'm presently running a 14/50 combo right now 'cause I do waaaaaay more street running at this present time. And, it's mostly running around town and no, real long back country roads, YET, with constant higher speeds. I had a 14/60 on it when I purchased the T-dub about a month ago and, it was just too darn low geared for street running. But, I'm thinking of maybe getting either a 15T front or, maybe a 55T rear. But, either way, I'll need more chain. I'm wondering, could I just add some that I cut off when I recently installed my new sprockets and chain and, that would also entail adding more master links. What are your thoughts?
    Scott
    Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

I'm confused by those sprocket choices as they are opposite of each other. Do you want more speed for street or more torque for offroad?

If you change to a 15 and keep the rear at 50 you can use the same chain you are using with 122 links.
    Last edited by Errtu; 07-25-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    grewen likes this.
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

I just added two links myself. One was a piece of spare and the other was a spare master. It's fairly common but you'll need to make sure the master clips are in their grooves while also checking the chain isn't so tight that it acts stiff and binds. You have twice the failure points to look after but it's rare that they fail if installed properly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

You'd be surprised at the difference a few teeth can make. I added 2 to my back sprocket to accelerate and climb hills and it was plenty. Now It's only on the roughest climbs that I have to gear down but it didn't sacrifice much top speed.

I haven't had any issues loosing any masterlinks so two shouldn't matter, but I also orient the clip so it leads with it's closed end which may help, IDK.

Actually I believe two master links is how our double rear sprocket members are switching sprockets on the road.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 07-25-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    buellzebub likes this.

If you're just running around town keep it at 14/50.

If you're future plans include some moderate off roading, keep it at 14/50.

If you're future plans include more street riding, change to a 47 rear tooth sprocket.

If you're future plans include more off-roading in harder terrain, change to the 55 rear tooth sprocket (which will still be fine when running around town).

While changing the rear sprocket is a little bit of a pain in the keister, changing the front sprocket is even more of a pain because you have to remove the side-cover to gain access to the sprocket. You've probably already noticed this. Eventually, you or a mechanic will have to remove the side-cover to change a front sprocket when it wears out. This would be a good time to change the front sprocket size if still needed/wanted. Have a replacement side-cover gasket ready and be prepared to scrap off the old side-cover gasket. Also, be careful not to pinch the wires when replacing the side-cover back.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

They say “A chain is only as strong as its weakest link” – well, now you’ve got two of them in there. Having said that, never heard of a correctly installed master link failing yet, so “play on” ….
    tylermoney and admiral like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I have been running two on my TW for years. The TW does not make enough power that its going to have a chain weakened enough to cause issues with a second master. It should not be an issue.

Any time my Duro wheel is on there i run two masters. I need to add 3 links to fit the 55 tooth sprocket and a little extra clearance and i dont care to have an extra chain so any time i put that tire on it i put on two links and another master goes on. Its worked perfectly for years....
    Last edited by jb882; 07-25-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I just ordered a 15t front sprocket, and am keeping my 50t rear. This will give me about a 7.1% increase or so in speed overall, and about the same decrease in relative torque. If you're familiar with Tdubskid on Youtube, this is what his most recent setup is. The sprocket calculator he uses:

https://sprocketcalculator.com/

States that if you currently have the standard 14x50 s/ stock chain (122 links) then you'll need 125 links for the adjusted front sprocket. It'll change depending on the back/front obviously. Regarding if you can just use a secondary master to add chain. I have never seen it done. My guess is that you could get away with it, but likely shouldn't. I also think you could get away with using your 122l chain still, but your chain tension adjuster settings will probably be at the "lowest" setting and you may not have much more room for future adjustments?
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    I just ordered a 15t front sprocket, and am keeping my 50t rear. This will give me about a 7.1% increase or so in speed overall, and about the same decrease in relative torque. If you're familiar with Tdubskid on Youtube, this is what his most recent setup is. The sprocket calculator he uses:

https://sprocketcalculator.com/

States that if you currently have the standard 14x50 s/ stock chain (122 links) then you'll need 125 links for the adjusted front sprocket. It'll change depending on the back/front obviously. Regarding if you can just use a secondary master to add chain. I have never seen it done. My guess is that you could get away with it, but likely shouldn't. I also think you could get away with using your 122l chain still, but your chain tension adjuster settings will probably be at the "lowest" setting and you may not have much more room for future adjustments?
    I am running 15/50 and can confirm the stock chain size (122 links) is perfect. I just changed the sprocket and went with an x-ring chain last week. My snail adjusters are slightly below 3.
    tylermoney, grewen and reddave like this.
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links