91 TW200, Questions
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SuperDave23

Thread: 91 TW200, Questions

91 TW200, Questions

Hello TW Forum,

Just purchased my first TW200 last week. It's a 91 with 2500 miles on it. I've owned and worked on my own bikes the last 15-years. I purchased the bike for my wife to replace her XR100. She loves that bike, but the kids are now at the age where they need to sit on the back with pegs and the XR just doesn't cut it.

The 91 seems in very good shape for the age. All the electrical is original and everything works. All the stickers are still on the bike, including the "wear your helmet" ones so I'm pretty sure the bike has been indoor most of it's life.

It did have a stumble at part throttle and didn't like to start so I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it out. Actually didn't look as bad as I expected. Installed new stock jets and replaced all the gaskets I could get my hands on thru an OEM parts supplier (bowl, main jet tube, throttle cover). Also replaced the hose going to the coast enricher as it was super brittle. Bike now runs like a top.

Side note: My first bike was a 2006 XT225. This TW motor looks almost identical and even sounds/runs almost identical to that motor. Very pleased as that motor was 100% reliable the 8 years I owned it. Brings back a lot of good memories listening to this motor.

Some other items I've fixed or am planning to fix:
    -New Air filter
    -Change the Oil & fresh spark plug
    -New Tires (it looks like it's still got the original 91 tires currently!)
    -Tightened the drive chain. It looks about due for replacement so I'll probably upgrade to an O-ring chain & new sprockets.
    -Inspect wheel bearings & replace as needed. Same for steering stem bearings.
    -Replace the fork seals as they are leaking.

Don't plan on doing any performance mods. The power is just fine for my wife and I like how the bike runs now that the carb is cleaned up.

A few questions as I sort this thing out:
    1. There was an O-ring in the carb that wasn't listed in the parts fiche. There's a standpipe attached to the main carb body that extends down into the float bown, I think it's for the coast enricher circuit. (It's separate from the bowl overflow standpipe). There was an O-ring around it that wasn't shown so I re-used it. Was very hard so it's probably not doing much sealing. Anyone know where I can find it? Sorry, forgot to snap a photo while I had the carb apart.

2. The intake boot from the airbox to the carb seems to be too short. When I reinstalled the carb it just barely went onto the throat of the carb. I ended up pulling the carb out from the engine-side a little bit, attaching the airbox side fully & tightening the clamp and then pushing it back into the engine. It's still not on there 100% but I don't think it will leak. Probably best to just get a new air boot? Only $24 on Rocky-mountain.

3. Anything else I should be looking at on a bike of this age?

Thank you for you time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperDave23; 07-25-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Ken likes this.
    Dave
    91 TW200
    04 400EXC
    06 DR650SE

Ken
    That looks just like my 1993. I have almost 46,000 miles on it now. Very low maintenance requirements on them. These are great bikes.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Ken
    The shrinking carb boot is a common issue. One of the tubes going down the main carb body has the main jet in it. There is a plastic splash baffle at the bottom of the tube. Sometimes they are still there and sometimes they have been removed. I'm not sure of the o ring,

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My first TW was that exact bike, go here, https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/gen...ollection.html

That hard washer/seal in the carb is not that important so if it is there then leave it and no need to replace it. Others have used small O rings there if the hard seal is missing completely. Order a new air to carb boot and install it ASAP. Any air leaks in these boots are a constant source of poor running conditions.
    The tires should be replaced before you ever allow your wife on the pavement with the bike. The rubber is hard as a rock and has very little if any traction on the road. Burn them off if all she is doing is trail riding and no pavement. Out of an abundance of caution I will make a few suggestions you can do as you please with. I try real hard to avoid doing things twice because I cheaped out and didn't do them right the first time. Your TW is now 28 years young and appears to be in good shapre and well cared for so it is worth some time, effort and $$ being put into it. The 91s are one of my favorite years simply because the fit and finish at that time was tops on Yamaha's list. Here are my suggestions.

Parts to order and all at the same time to save on the nickel and dime shipping charges.

Carb to air box boot
    Left side case gasket
    new front and rear sprockets and a new O/X ring chain
    Order these seals, Main shaft, shifter shaft and the neutral switch seals. These are simple to replace and at 28 years old probably need it. Pay close attention while installing the side case that the wires going up under the seat are in the provided slot and not pinched. Make a template with cardboard and draw the new gasket on it punching holes in it so as you remove each screw you put it in the corresponding hole and know where it goes later. They are all different lengths. Lube your brake, clutch and throttle cables. Check inside the tank for rust and do order an in line fuel filter and check the screens on the petcock inside the tank, if cracked or clogged just buy a new petcock. Change all the fuel lines to the carb because back in 1991 they were not ethanol compliant. Buy a couple new oil filters and make absolute certain they have the 4 tiny holes that go to the engine side. Oils cheap and engines are expensive. If you pull the tank off do check the engine mounting bolts under it as they have been known to loosen up. Behind the headlight in the wiring loom do check all those bullet connectors for corrosion and oxidation and clean them using dielectric grease when done. Your TW will go another 28 years if you just do some preventive maintenance now. My 1991 was sold to friends and members here from Australia (Turborob and Kath) who drove it from NY to California and then down to Texas with almost no issues at all because I did all the required stuff I just mentioned. Absolutely DO NOT allow your wife on the road with those old tires and I don't care how much tread they have left on them. I learned that the hard way and if I didn't have many years of dirt riding under me it would have been an epic crash. 5 years is about the maximum on any MC tires for road riding so yours are well past their safe limits.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post

That hard washer/seal in the carb is not that important so if it is there then leave it and no need to replace it. Others have used small O rings there if the hard seal is missing completely. Order a new air to carb boot and install it ASAP. Any air leaks in these boots are a constant source of poor running conditions.
    The tires should be replaced before you ever allow your wife on the pavement with the bike. The rubber is hard as a rock and has very little if any traction on the road. Burn them off if all she is doing is trail riding and no pavement. Out of an abundance of caution I will make a few suggestions you can do as you please with. I try real hard to avoid doing things twice because I cheaped out and didn't do them right the first time. Your TW is now 28 years young and appears to be in good shapre and well cared for so it is worth some time, effort and $$ being put into it. The 91s are one of my favorite years simply because the fit and finish at that time was tops on Yamaha's list. Here are my suggestions.

Parts to order and all at the same time to save on the nickel and dime shipping charges.

Carb to air box boot
    Left side case gasket
    new front and rear sprockets and a new O/X ring chain
    Order these seals, Main shaft, shifter shaft and the neutral switch seals. These are simple to replace and at 28 years old probably need it. Pay close attention while installing the side case that the wires going up under the seat are in the provided slot and not pinched. Make a template with cardboard and draw the new gasket on it punching holes in it so as you remove each screw you put it in the corresponding hole and know where it goes later. They are all different lengths. Lube your brake, clutch and throttle cables. Check inside the tank for rust and do order an in line fuel filter and check the screens on the petcock inside the tank, if cracked or clogged just buy a new petcock. Change all the fuel lines to the carb because back in 1991 they were not ethanol compliant. Buy a couple new oil filters and make absolute certain they have the 4 tiny holes that go to the engine side. Oils cheap and engines are expensive. If you pull the tank off do check the engine mounting bolts under it as they have been known to loosen up. Behind the headlight in the wiring loom do check all those bullet connectors for corrosion and oxidation and clean them using dielectric grease when done. Your TW will go another 28 years if you just do some preventive maintenance now. My 1991 was sold to friends and members here from Australia (Turborob and Kath) who drove it from NY to California and then down to Texas with almost no issues at all because I did all the required stuff I just mentioned. Absolutely DO NOT allow your wife on the road with those old tires and I don't care how much tread they have left on them. I learned that the hard way and if I didn't have many years of dirt riding under me it would have been an epic crash. 5 years is about the maximum on any MC tires for road riding so yours are well past their safe limits.

GaryL
    Gary,

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm a preventative maintenance guy so I'll get all those added to the list.

Funny you mention the left side case. It's the one place that looks sketchy and it's got some JB weld on it. I was going to replace it completely. Got a great motorcycle salvage yard nearby that probably has one.

I did think of one more question. Is there much issue with stators going out? On my '06 XT225 I had to replace the stator around 5000 miles. I had purchased that bike new and done most of the miles on it. Not exactly sure what happened as I had let a "friend of a friend" borrow it. They claimed to have ridden it all day and when they got back to the truck it wouldn't start. After checking everything it was the stator. $250, ouch! Coudln't really blame it on them as I'm not sure how they could kill a stator.
    Dave
    91 TW200
    04 400EXC
    06 DR650SE

Ken
    Great details Gary. I will add one more, check the top engine support from the engine to the frame. My 1993 one cracked in half and there have been a few others that had this issue. With your low mileage I doubt it will be bad but it is only a visual check.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave23 View Post
    Gary,

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm a preventative maintenance guy so I'll get all those added to the list.

Funny you mention the left side case. It's the one place that looks sketchy and it's got some JB weld on it. I was going to replace it completely. Got a great motorcycle salvage yard nearby that probably has one.

I did think of one more question. Is there much issue with stators going out? On my '06 XT225 I had to replace the stator around 5000 miles. I had purchased that bike new and done most of the miles on it. Not exactly sure what happened as I had let a "friend of a friend" borrow it. They claimed to have ridden it all day and when they got back to the truck it wouldn't start. After checking everything it was the stator. $250, ouch! Coudln't really blame it on them as I'm not sure how they could kill a stator.
    Bad stators are most common in the 1987 models but some here have had those issues on other years.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Confirming my 91 has the same carb boot issue. Fixed it with roofing tar. Well see how that goes.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

Sponosred Links