LED turn signal indicator - *usingLED turn signal bulbs*.
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MtnMan75

Thread: LED turn signal indicator - *usingLED turn signal bulbs*.

Using LED turn signal bulbs with LED flasher relay

PART ONE
    Ok... so here is the setup for using LED turn signal, LED turn signal indicator on the dash and using an LED flasher instead of load resistors:
    (although you will find this will be needed even using an incandescent or you will have a much weaker indicator light using an LED flasher - at least on mine I could barely see the incandescent light up)

NOTE: I did this with the diodes up inside the enclosure for the indicators simply to keep them from moving once completed. You could also wire these diodes in down at the bullet connectors for the turn signals and splice that to the dark brown wire down there, but they may be more susceptible to movement that may lead to an open wire over time.

1. So the first part is you will need to give the turn signal indicator's socket outside edge a path to chassis ground. This is connected to the dark green wire. In this wire bundle, the high beam indicator has a black wire that goes to chassis ground so the easiest fix is to attach this green wire to that black wire like so:
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers1.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers2.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers3.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers4.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers5.JPG
    2. Next... we need to feed a couple of wires up through the sleeve into the indicator's enclosure and solder the lower end of each one to the left and right blinker's positive wires.
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers6.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers7.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers8.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers9.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers10.JPG
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 07-28-2019 at 07:30 AM.
    vivrance likes this.

PART TWO

3. Now we need to solder in the diode inside the indicator enclosure.
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers11.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers12.JPG
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers13.JPG
    4. Now... I used a Tusk brand two wire LED flasher relay. I found that it fits perfectly in the compartment with the CDI/toolkit. If you use this one, you'll want to cut a little slot in the top and side of the enclosure to use a zip tie to hold the flasher in place. This tusk one has the same connector as the original, and it fits into this spot like it was made for it.
    IndicatorLampWithLEDflashers14.JPG

Any questions... I'll try to answer as best I can.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 08-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.

So this mod was just for indicator bulbs in cluster? It seems like more work than benefit? I get doing LEDS for actual turn signals, but why do those?
    Perhaps I am not following this correctly.
    Last edited by jeepster09; 07-28-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    "Life Member NRA"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    So this mod was just for indicator bulbs in cluster? It seems like more work than benefit? I get doing LEDS for actual turn signals, but why do those?
    Perhaps I am not following this correctly.
    The indicator won't work correctly with an LED type flasher unit (incandescent or LED bulb - you just get a VERY dim indicator with either type of bulb), plus I switched to an LED indicator bulb for the turn indicator that is much brighter than the incandescent just to catch my eyes and I don't drive with it on like an idiot which I have been known to do. You really have two choices
    1. Using resistors to imitate the load of an incandescent turn signals so the stock flasher doesn't hyper flash
    2. Using an LED flasher that flashes at the same rate regardless of load, but you'll need this fix (which is basically how other bikes are already wired) so the indicator works properly.
    I personally hate the 6 ohm load resistors as they are more of a pain than this fix to mount and ensure they are attached to something that provides a real good heat sink or they will burn up and/or melt something else, so I'd rather use the LED flasher and to me I think this is far less work without the concern of the resistors burning up. I've also been cutting wattage all over the bike. The one in the instrument cluster that really is only useful for power conservation is the high beam indicator as it is the only one that might be on for any length of time. While on, with the LED I have in that spot I free up about 3.2W. Aside from that, their lifespan is much higher as LED's are less susceptible to vibration and shock killing the filament.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 07-28-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Sponosred Links