Need a 2nd key, is Yamaha the only source?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need a 2nd key, is Yamaha the only source?

Need a 2nd key, is Yamaha the only source?

Hey gang,
    In our recent purchase of our ‘07 T-dub, only one key was supplied. The bonehead previous owners, list the second key and the tool kit, the owners manual, and other stuff. So, I’ve tried multiple hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and even at least one lock and key shop and, it’s a NO-GO! My key, which I assume, is like all of yours, does have a Yamaha key number on it. I’ve been avoiding going directly to Yamaha because I figured I’d have to sell my first born to be able to afford it. But, based on preliminary findings, it appears Yamaha IS the only place to get a second key. If I have to, I’ll go there but, in the meantime, any ideas?
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    You have to find a blank. I had a couple cut at a locksmith who had a blank in stock. You usually can buy a blank from a dealer, then take it to a key cutter. Good luck.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Fire Up, I do not believe Yamaha is the only source for keys. When I got my bike it came with a backup set. They are marked as "ilco" brand. The ignition key is marked X117 and YH48. The gas cap key is marked X120 and YH46. Both are marked as made is USA. Hope that might help you out.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Hey gang,
    In our recent purchase of our ‘07 T-dub, only one key was supplied. The bonehead previous owners, list the second key and the tool kit, the owners manual, and other stuff. So, I’ve tried multiple hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and even at least one lock and key shop and, it’s a NO-GO! My key, which I assume, is like all of yours, does have a Yamaha key number on it. I’ve been avoiding going directly to Yamaha because I figured I’d have to sell my first born to be able to afford it. But, based on preliminary findings, it appears Yamaha IS the only place to get a second key. If I have to, I’ll go there but, in the meantime, any ideas?
    Scott
    I used EBAY. Give them the key # and they cut and ship it to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Moto....c100005.m1851
    Last edited by Errtu; 07-29-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Purple likes this.
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Curtis also has Yamaha blanks. YM57 & 58 if I remember.

“Curtis”?
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

I also had only one key for my 2007.
    I called a few Ace Hardware stores a few weeks ago and found one that had a blank two-sider that they thought might work. Took my key and was able to get two for $6 and both work just fine.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
    2007 Yamaha TW200

I took my lock cylinder out and went to a local locksmith and he cut me a new one after I lost the solo key mine came with. (Of course, I found it a bit later on.)

Curtis is a company that makes key blanks for auto's and motorcycles.

I've always been able to get keys made at a local locksmith. I've had it done for all four major Japanese bikes and even the tubular Harley keys. The blank was like $2 and they charge maybe $5 to cut it. In and out in 5 minutes.

Unless you insist on having the key say "YAMAHA" on it, absolutely no difference. It used to be common for dealers to stock key blanks and a cutting machine and do it for a few bucks but in my experience this is getting increasingly rare. They'll give you a whole spiel about you have to prove ownership, have the key code, the vin, last four of your social, your mother's maiden name, ect, then they can ORDER a pre-cut key for you that costs as much as a used Hyundai and will arrive in 4 to 6 weeks. Mmkay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links