Questions, reusing gaskets temporarily? Can you replace valve guides without special
Close

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar

Questions, reusing gaskets temporarily? Can you replace valve guides without special

So I want to pull the head apart and make a full parts list to do the valves and possibly piston (i.e. is the intake rocker arm bent? Is the cam ok, is the piston worn?)

The TW is my only ride and this might sound crazy but I’m wondering since it’s running good other than valve noise, can I pull it apart, asses the damage and make a proper parts list and put it back together with the same gaskets that are on it and be ok for week of short rides to and from jobs?

If I had another way to get around I would just tear into it, but right now jobs equal fixing the bike properly.

Also if I want to do the valves and guides my self will I be able to put in new guides without the fancy tools that you can’t order anyway? What about reaming the new guide?

I already got one fancy valve spring compressor 😉 i.e. c clamp from Ace.

I’m ok with having a shop do the guides and even installing the valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulprogression108 View Post
    The TW is my only ride and this might sound crazy but I’m wondering since it’s running good other than valve noise.
    What is your issue with the motor besides it being more than 30 year old technology? High miles? Been run low on oil?
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    The TW is my only ride and this might sound crazy but I’m wondering since it’s running good other than valve noise.
    What is your issue with the motor besides it being more than 30 year old technology? High miles? Been run low on oil?
    I am happy with the old technology haha.

The valves tips are worn and noisy and it appears that either a valve is bent or a rocker arm is. The base gasket is leaking. And I am finding metal flakes or rather thin small flakes with one side metallic and one side black in the oil filter.

I’m concerned mostly that if I don’t fix issues preemptively I’ll find my self stranded.

Yes the engine did run “low” on oil for sometime previous to me having it due to the wrong oil filter. I had a new cam, cam chain, piston and rings put in about 7k miles ago but as far as i know the valves are original.

It has15,000 on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The valves tips are worn and noisy and it appears that either a valve is bent or a rocker arm is. The base gasket is leaking. And I am finding metal flakes or rather thin small flakes with one side metallic and one side black in the oil filter.

I’m concerned mostly that if I don’t fix issues preemptively I’ll find my self stranded.
    I would be too!! I would ride it as little as possible and gently at medium to low RPM's until you have time to fix it right. Those flakes are a very bad sign at that mileage and I would look at the filter every 50 miles to decide when it is time to park it. (Which could be right now! ) You really don't want that crap to get into the bottom end!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 07-31-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    [

I would be too!![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/images/smilies/ohmy.gif[/IMG] I would ride it as little as possible and gently at medium to low RPM's until you have time to fix it right. Those flakes are a very bad sign at that mileage and I would look at the filter every 50 miles to decide when it is time to park it. (Which could be right now! ) You really don't want that crap to get into the bottom end!
    Thanks Rocky. What do you think the flakes indicate?

I might have found a solution. Or possibly more problems lol. I just looked at a “basket case” as my Dad put it. 2004 wr250f in a box. Needs radiators, rear sprocket and chain, and head bearings. But it’s $100... was running before torn apart to ship. Guy bought it while he was on island then tore apart to send home but due to regulations couldn’t ship it out. It’s been sitting for a year so carb will need work.

I was thinking run mine till I get the wr together and then have a way around while I tear the tw down.

I reuse gaskets all the time. I was taking things apart enough if I used new gaskets every time I would be in the poor house. I haven't had any troubles as long as the gasket doesn't tear. A small tear can be patched with a little teeny bit of silicon gasket maker but big tears need a new gasket. The head gasket seem OK to re use. Zero problems doing it.

Every time I look at my oil filter I find little bits of metal. All those moving parts and shifting gears there is bound to be some shrapnel created. The filter is there to trap it. One bike is 32,000 and the other is 24,000 miles.
    Last edited by elime; 08-01-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I reuse gaskets all the time. I was taking things apart enough if I used new gaskets every time I would be in the poor house. I haven't had any troubles as long as the gasket doesn't tear. A small tear can be patched with a little teeny bit of silicon gasket maker but big tears need a new gasket. The head gasket seem OK to re use. Zero problems doing it.

Every time I look at my oil filter I find little bits of metal. All those moving parts and shifting gears there is bound to be some shrapnel created. The filter is there to trap it. One bike is 32,000 and the other is 24,000 miles.
    Thank you elime! Both things I like to hear haha. I’m still considering picking up the 250f as a project and having a backup/more trail oriented bike that I can also potentially flip when it’s together.

That’s how I got the TW actually. I was given a scooter in disrepair. I spent some time and a little money got it running and flipped it and used that to start the obsession haha!

Sponosred Links