Smoke from exhaust gasket
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Soulprogression108

Thread: Smoke from exhaust gasket

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar

Smoke from exhaust gasket

So I just had to wait a week for a new drain plug. I put it in today. Added oil and fired the bike up.

Good news is it started bad news is there is smoke pouring out of the exhaust manifold couple. At first I considered it might just be some oil burning off from spraying penetrant on there to break off the rusty bolts.

Now I’m concerned it’s more serious!

What should I do?

I’m planning to double check valve lash. But I don’t know what is going on. Scary!
    Ken likes this.

Ken
    If there's not any smoke coming out the back of the pipe then maybe your valve cover gasket is leaking oil and burning it off.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If there's not any smoke coming out the back of the pipe then maybe your valve cover gasket is leaking oil and burning it off.
    It’s got back pressure and seemed to burn off a little oil (white smoke) from exhaust pipe tip as it got warmed up.

I’m hoping it’s not exhaust valve seizing?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Exhaust valve was in spec

There’s a slim chance it is still stuff I sprayed on the bolts burning off but it kinda billows when it gets going. Shut off before it catches fire lol!

I suppose it could be the rings letting oil through and burning it up? It is white smoke.

Really had hoped to just put in the new drain plug and ride it ohhhh welll

Ken
    When I did my valve job, changed the base gasket etc. I dipped the piston in oil before installation and it blew oil like crazy for a bit. After that I was riding it hard and no smoke. Then it smoked again and I thought I blew or broke something. I kept riding it I figured if it was broke it won't hurt it now but the smoke went away just as quick as it started and has never smoked again. I think there may have been a little oil trapped between the rings still or something.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    When I did my valve job, changed the base gasket etc. I dipped the piston in oil before installation and it blew oil like crazy for a bit. After that I was riding it hard and no smoke. Then it smoked again and I thought I blew or broke something. I kept riding it I figured if it was broke it won't hurt it now but the smoke went away just as quick as it started and has never smoked again. I think there may have been a little oil trapped between the rings still or something.
    Here’s what I ended up with.

I pulled the header again and ran it bare bones. No smoke came out of the head so I am 99% sure it is oil/penetrant on the header pipe/fitting. Btw! The sound it makes running no pipe is Hilarious! Like a suction cup puckering little popcorn maker haha!

With the pipe back on I let it run for a while and seemed to burn off some. Hoping it’ll just burn for a while and be good. Staying close to home for now!

Sponosred Links