Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Sampzen
  • 2 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Sampzen
  • 1 Post By joeband

Thread: 1990 TW restoration

1990 TW restoration

Recently aquired a 1990 TW with about 1300 miles on it. It has been sitting in storage for the last decade. Fuel tank was left dry and condensation has taken its toll and started rusting from the inside out. Doesn’t appear to be to bad. I purchased a tank restore kit and I am just waiting for available time to start in on it. I have a new battery, carb kit, oil/filter and air filter on order.

Considering tearing down the bike completely and doing a frame up restoration on it over the winter. Really just want to get the bike running right now. For the time being, does anyone have any recommendations on other parts of the bike I should check on to get it up and going?

Looking forward to any and all words of wisdom.

Welcome to the forum!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Welcome, Sampzen. I, too, have a 1990 TW that I purchased several months ago. Like you, I am considering total restore or just keep riding it. If you end up restoring it and somehow find original tank decals, I would be very interested in where you find them. Also, mine has a re-covered seat in black; I think it looks much better than the original seat which, I believe, was a grey color.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the welcoming littletommy.

Fester, the seat that I am assuming is original is blue on my bike. The rest of the bike is black. If I do end up doing a ground up restoration I am honestly thinking about removing all decals and going with a different color. Other than occasional trail riding I have and am considering turning it into my hunting rig. I have read some reviews of guys loving the TW for hunting due to the low gearing.
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome to the forum.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Welcome. Check and or change all fluids to go along with your fuels system fix.
    1986 BW200E
    1986 BW225E project (200 with TTR225 engine transplant)
    1989 TW200
    2007 CRF250X

I would suggest this thread, https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...back-life.html. Of course I would since I am it's author. Most importantly at this stage is that you not even think about firing it up until you have followed a few of the basics. The condensation you mention inside the tank is likely also inside the engine oil sump so do your diligence and do it right the first time.

GaryL
    goldenhtr and joeband like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

GaryL thank you for directing me to your post. That was a great read and greatly appreciated.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sampzen View Post
    GaryL thank you for directing me to your post. That was a great read and greatly appreciated.
    gary's post on bike rejuvenation is the gift that keeps on giving.

ride on!
    littletommy likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links