Ethanol free premium high octane from Conoco?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ethanol free premium high octane from Conoco?

Ethanol free premium high octane from Conoco?

I stopped by a local Conoco gas station today I do not normally frequent. While pumping some regular 'ole cheap gas into the Tacoma, I noticed that they have their premium gasoline advertised as ethanol free. I know that the TW is designed to run on 87 octane. So I got to wondering if I should still be running regular gas with ethanol treatment, or switch to my new found and closely located source of ethanol-free 91 octane. Thoughts?
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Absolutely.... I don't use ethanol gas unless I am out of town and there is no other choice.....that crap ruined the entire fuel system in my boat and is especially damaging to vehicles that are not used often or are in seasonal storage for months....boats....bikes...snowmobiles....snowblow ers.....lawn mowers....collector cars....RVs....

Cost would be insignificant given the mpg that a TW gets......I keep a supply at home to avoid rides to town to fill up.......
    Darth likes this.

It saves carb diaphragms, anything rubber from turning to crap....stay away from ethanol if you can.
    "Life Member NRA"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ethanol is the worst thing I've ever seen in fuel systems. It will eat aluminium and rubber. It turns into some sort of jello if left alone for over a month. I used to work on small engines. Mowers, trimmers, etc. Ethanol was the number one problem I saw. In you car, you get less mpg with it. Google it. That is why ethanol-free cost as much or more than premium. The gas companies have it figured out. They know this. They are gonna get the same amount of money per mile from you no matter what fuel you use. So they charge more for the ethanol free. The very one that cost them less to produce. No blending with a food product (corn for the ethanol).
    Cascade Rider likes this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

GOF
    I use E10 in my van and the wife's car. Everything else gets ethanol free. Never fill the TW with E85.

And yes, theoretically there is more energy in ethanol free. But my experience I don't get enough of an increase in MPG to make it worth while to switch the cars to ethanol free fuel.
    Darth likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

The money saved in ethanol related repairs easily pays for the little increase in cost of the premium fuel. Not to mention the frustration and inconvenience.

The more non ethanol fuel used sends a message that we don't want the ethanol based crap, IMHO.
    jeepster09 likes this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Generally I have gained about 10-15% in gas mileage by NOT USING ethanol. Ethanol is all about giving farmers a subsidy in exchange for votes. Ethanol generally gives a loss in performance and power.
    ALL POLITICS.
    Cascade Rider likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    It saves carb diaphragms, anything rubber from turning to crap....stay away from ethanol if you can.
    If/when you must use ethanol blends...dose it with either Sea Foam or Sta-Bil.
    Always...
    reddave likes this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    If/when you must use ethanol blends...dose it with either Sea Foam or Sta-Bil.
    Always...
    Sta-bil 360 marine if you can get it.
    reddave likes this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Conoco high test it is from now on!
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links