Swing arm bolt size for chain guard?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swing arm bolt size for chain guard?

I seem to be missing a bolt and washer...Attachment 196112Attachment 196112Attachment 196112

Can anyone tell me what size that is?

8mm x .8 threads/mm. 16mm total length, with a 1mm thick/15mm wide fender washer. Threaded section of the bolt is 10mm long. Slightly less common in this size as 1 thread/mm is more common for 8mm. If you can't find it and need it in a hurry, you could tap it for a 10mm of the same length and find a fender washer for that. Not sure I'd tap the .8 to 1, may weaken it a little.

edit - also, on my 2013 there is a metal insert in that plastic this bolt goes through like many other plastic body parts. In lieu of buying that again, you might want to increase the width of the fender washer and use some medium loctite.

Thought I'd look it up. The washer that goes into the plastic is Yamaha part #90209-06187-00, and the bolt is #90119-05062-00 (fender washer is on the bolt)

(I wrote the bolt head on this instead of the diameter for future reference... The correct size is M5x.8x16 with a fender washer on it)
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 08-05-2019 at 07:37 PM.

How did you catch that? Was the bike acting strangely?
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AKTW View Post
    I seem to be missing a bolt and washer...Attachment 196112Attachment 196112Attachment 196112

Can anyone tell me what size that is?
    Isn't that a swingarm grease fitting that you're looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Isn't that a swingarm grease fitting that you're looking at?
    No... it's the bolt that holds the "seal guard" (yamaha term). We all call it the chain rail. It's the plastic piece the chain rides on over the top of the swingarm. The zerk fittings for grease are on the top of the swing arm on each side.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 08-04-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan75 View Post
    No... it's the bolt that holds the "seal guard" (yamaha term). We all call it the chain rail. It's the plastic piece the chain rides on over the top of the swingarm. The zerk fittings for grease are on the top of the swing arm on each side.
    My mistake, sorry.

Personally not a fan of how Yamaha did this part. Many other bikes you don't need to remove the swing arm just to replace this, they are made to allow you to bend it around the front of the swing arm and bolt through two holes in a tab on top and bottom that line up in the same spot. Also noticed when you switch to an O-ring chain, this plastic guard is just a bit narrow and there's no alternatives available for a wider guard out there. Inside edge of the chain rides the edge of this guard on mine with an o-ring chain.

No the grease spot is a few inches lower
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

No not acting strange I was just sitting on my arse changing the footpegs to IMS and noticed it was gone .
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan75 View Post
    8mm x .8 threads/mm. 16mm total length, with a 1mm thick/15mm wide fender washer. Threaded section of the bolt is 10mm long. Slightly less common in this size as 1 thread/mm is more common for 8mm. If you can't find it and need it in a hurry, you could tap it for a 10mm of the same length and find a fender washer for that. Not sure I'd tap the .8 to 1, may weaken it a little.

edit - also, on my 2013 there is a metal insert in that plastic this bolt goes through like many other plastic body parts. In lieu of buying that again, you might want to increase the width of the fender washer and use some medium loctite.

Thought I'd look it up. The washer that goes into the plastic is Yamaha part #90209-06187-00, and the bolt is #90119-05062-00 (fender washer is on the bolt)

So would the bolt be a M8x.8x16? Correct
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links