Yamaha, why no FUEL INJECTION? !!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Yamaha, why no FUEL INJECTION? !!!!!!!!!!!

GOF
    Simple. They still sell as they are. They have no reason to change anything.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Yamaha's competition machines annually gobble up a lot of R&D funds to stay in the hunt that aren't alway offset by sales revenue of those same machines . Money for that plus a reasonable profit and return on investment means rest of product line, including TWs, have to kick in whenever possible.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I would rather have a kick starter than fuel injection.....
    GOF, Trail Woman, elime and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

GOF
    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    I would rather have a kick starter than fuel injection.....
    Me too. Oh wait! My 1987 model HAS that.
    Fred, elime and CJ7Pilot like this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Computers and fuel injection definitely make horsepower. [Back in my drag race days a top fuel car maybe could eek out 1500 to 2000 hp. With today's computers they easily double that. Just more precise and efficient.]
    But carbs are simple and easily fixed out on the trail. Keeping bike simple keeps price down, no r&d needed. Emissions are what has got rid of most engines with carbs, not customer demand [precise mixtures].
    Trail Woman and GOF like this.
    "Life Member NRA"

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Hey gang,
    Just wondering. When I began my search for a small, run-a-round semi-dirt/street toy, I actually was interested in a Honda "Monkey Bike". Most of you are aware of its attributes and one of them being it's FUEL INJECTED. Well, it's a long story but, I shied away from a $5,400 out-the-door price tag for such a small bike and, with limited intended use. So, my next choice was the Suzuki VanVan. First off, what kind of a name is "VanVan". Who, in their right mind, came up with that? Anyway, that bike, in case some you are not aware, is almost, I say ALMOST a clone to the TW200. Only it's a bit more oriented to street use, as opposed to the intended dual use of a TW. But, in any case, it's a 200 cc FUEL INJECTED bike. I watched and read a few reviews and well, it ended up that, it too was gonna have a bit too high of an out-the-door price. My plan for this purchase was just for goofing around on in situations like light off roading and squirling around on the street some. I got a giant Goldwing for any serious travels.

Anyway, Yamaha surely has some of its lineup that is FUEL INJECTED, don't they? Their little TW 200 is now 30 years old and from what I can tell, it's still a hot ticket for Yamaha. And, especially in this day and age where emmisions and fuel mileage is always a hot topic, why, WHY then, has Yamaha not thrown a very basic fuel injection system on these rather well selling motorcycles? I mean, that little 125 cc in the Monkey bike is fuel injected, as well as the 200 cc in the VanVan. And, I've not really done a bunch of research on any other models of any other manufacturer or, even in the same manufacturers, in the same cc category to see just what's fuel injected and what's not.

I know and realize that fuel injection might be a bit more costly to design and install but, hey, as any manufacturer knows, it's a SERIOUSLY better fuel system than a carburetor. It doesn't care about attitude or altitude or, ambient temp or anything. It just takes care of itself. So, just wondering why Yamaha hasn't thrown on fuel injection onto these, ever so popular bikes?
    Scott

P.S.
    We're on a trip right now traveling and camping at various points in AZ, UT, CO, NB, ID, OR and maybe a few others. I setup the TW on a "versa hauler", on the back of the motorhome and, we're also towing our Jeep JKUR. While sitting around our camp sites, we've gotten more pleasant comments about the TW than I would have ever expected. I've even been offered to sell it. Ain't gonna happen, at this point in time. Anyway, sure seems a lot of guys (and even some women) sure like that little bike.
    Scott
    Why spend more money when the TW keeps on selling? There are a lot of bikes with fuel injection out there already, so why change the TW? You want a fuel injected Yamaha? They already offer an XT250. Why would a company invest more money into a product that sells great as it is? Yamaha is making money on the TW and it won't change it until it doesn't. It's all about the $$$$$.
    jeepster09 likes this.

Can you imagine today's TW's MPG if it were to have FI? Would be pretty impressive! And, it's really good now!
    jeepster09 and Darth like this.
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    2003 Honda CBR600RR - Race/Track bike
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

Carb vs FI?
    Suziuki van van is FI, yet a Dr200s is carb.
    They have the same list price.
    My TW was a great bike for a number of years, cranky in the cold.
    So far, XT is quite nice- good in cold, have an emotional connection with a TW,
    Ride long & prosper

GOF
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Computers and fuel injection definitely make horsepower. [Back in my drag race days a top fuel car maybe could eek out 1500 to 2000 hp. With today's computers they easily double that. Just more precise and efficient.]
    But carbs are simple and easily fixed out on the trail. Keeping bike simple keeps price down, no r&d needed. Emissions are what has got rid of most engines with carbs, not customer demand [precise mixtures].
    Emissions are a big consideration. I suspect that when the TW comes up against that ceiling they will probably end production. Hope I'm wrong.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

They’re not for everyone. But they still sell a ton of them. Lots of great FI bikes out there. Only one with fat tires. And it will never come close to the TW in terms of sales volume and functionality. The main reason why I keep buying them is because they have remained relatively unchanged since 87 and all I need is a basic tool kit to keep em running. Even if they stop production, I’ll still keep buying em.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links