Yamaha, why no FUEL INJECTION? !!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Yamaha, why no FUEL INJECTION? !!!!!!!!!!!

Well gang,
    While I may be new "here", I'm certainly not new to carbs, FI and every inch of an automobile/truck/motorhome/motorcycle/boat and more. Been working on them for well over 55 years. Yes, it may be a bit more cost to insert FI into the workings of a TW. But, as anyone who's ever been involved in mass business application, the more you make/sell/operate, the cost goes waaaaaay down. And, not only that but, companies the size of Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, Harley Davidson and all the rest, can easily absorb any "up front" costs in order to sell an improved product. I myself am kind-a surprised that ANY manufacturer is still allowed to produce any vehicle, motorcycle, boat, anything with a carburetor since it's quite obvious that FI is a vast improvement in engine operations, emissions and especially, economy. I have no idea just what it takes to make that FI system in that tiny, 125CC Honda Monkey bike or the VanVan work but, apparently it was worth it to both companies to invest in FI for them.

Now, OF COURSE it's easier to work on a carb if and when it goofs up, no doubt about that. Not a whole lot of back yard mechanics that can diagnose an FI problem, especially if it's controlled by ECM's etc. I totally agree that the carb on a TW is without a doubt, a much easier operating system that ALL of us can "screw" with if and when the time comes and is needed. I am not a design engineer. I doubt that the TW will cease in sales if Yamaha is somehow forced to FI it, if, IF, it's determined by the execs at Yamaha headquarters, that added cost (again, can be absorbed) of FI'ing it will benefit, AND, the companies foot print in emissions for its total fleet is lowered (which is also a kick-back factor in cost of operating by the Government).

I'm not debating on whether it (the TW) should or should not be changed to FI or not. I merely stated that since so much of the worlds now-days motorized equipment is FI, including at least some of Yamahas fleet, I was just wondering why the TW isn't. I just figure if Honda can do it with a small, 125CC Monkey bike and it sells like hot cakes, the cost must not be TOO PROHIBITIVE.
    Scott
    Darth likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

IMO, my TW has only 4 significant short-comings and a ton of little stuff that's easy to upgrade.

I wish it had 4 things from the factory, in this order:
    Aluminum rear wheel.
    EFI.
    6-spd. box.
    Kick starter (along w/electric).

Steel wheel is ridiculous.
    EFI is far superior to carbs.
    6-spd. is fun, efficient & faster.
    Kicker is obvious.

Strange critters, we T-Dub junkies...some still argue that drum front brakes are just as good as, or maybe even better than, discs!
    I wish we had them in rear, too.
    reddave and NVcowboy like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

As far as I know...the Yamaha XT250's have been FI since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth
    Aluminum rear wheel.
    Not so sure I agree with that one....many XT225 owners have gone to the TTR225 rear wheel because it is steel. The stock XT225 rear wheel (with its aluminum hub) is renowned for tossing spokes.
    Fred likes this.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good God... please keep the FI away from bikes like this. Modding it becomes more involved, price goes into Honda territory, if it goes bad while you are out you have less chance of getting it right and riding back. It's why I own a DRZ and TW. The less electronics controlling my engine the better. I rarely... very, very rarely have ever had an issue with a carb that wasn't an easy fix and didn't cost me much. One O2 sensor goes bad, you could probably buy three carburetors. I don't understand this mindset for a bike like these.
    elime, Fred and NVcowboy like this.

With Europe and Australia having mandatory ABS on all bikes starting in 2021 (all new models must already be ABS equipped, older models have until 2021 to adapt ABS) I think it will be the death of the older carbureted motorcycles. I don't think Yamaha will want to add ABS to the TW?
    2017 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    I am certainly no expert but my understanding is that fuel injection is superior in every way to carburation...... especially when it comes to engine fires ……. I have been able to contact factory engineers at Jeep and Cummings and Chevrolet in the past....most often by phone.....if you email the Company you will likely get a response by a customer relations person....but....sometimes you will get a reply by someone who knows...no offense intended....

Edited to add....I have a couple old cars with carbs and chokes ....one with Webbers no less.....and I have a fire extinguisher handy and my fingers crossed when I lite them up...
    No, it's absolutely not.
    elime likes this.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    I bought my bike because it's not fuel injected. With EPA standards resulting in bikes running too lean I want to be able to correct the fuel delivery as to not burn out my engine and waste the foot print used to build my engine by running it efficiently. I also don't want to rely on dealerships to maintain my bike. I know they are "more reliable" but only until they break down.

I for one miss the kick starter too....it is such a simple reliable system. Why they remove independence from trail bikes is beyond me. I guess they want to risk leaving us stranded in the woods with no ability to rescue ourselves. Even KTMs have had recall electrical issues leaving riders stranded in the woods where a bump start isn't always possible.

In 5 years of rough offroad I've done all my own servicing having no need to go to a dealer and the carb only needed to be richened since they sell them lean.

Also if the TW had been redesigned for fuel injection it would be likely be as expensive or maybe more then the Vanvan,
    Same here. I have no use for a trail bike (or any bike for that matter) for which the tool kit consists of a cellphone.
    Fuel injection is a deal breaker for me. As in, if a bike has it, I'm not interested. Fuel injection requires a computer to control it and a fuel pump to feed it. Neither of those items work if the battery dies. And that's just the beginning of why I don't like them.
    A carb needs nothing beyond a supply of fuel, and it is perfectly happy with gravity feed.
    I prefer carbs on my Jeeps, too.

Btw, I just bought a brand new bike. It has a carburetor and kick start.
    Last edited by WECSOG; 08-07-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

I have to admit I like my two good 'ole fashioned, cable-actuated drum brakes!
    WECSOG, elime and MtnMan75 like this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by reddave View Post
    I have to admit I like my two good 'ole fashioned, cable-actuated drum brakes!
    On the TW, the drums work just about as well as the later disks.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

I've wondered recently if we will eventually see a TW built around the fuel injected XT250 Engine. I sort of remember seeing a picture of a concept bike like that. The XT250 Engine is quite a nice lump and still has air cooled 2 valve simplicity.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponosred Links