Yamaha, why no FUEL INJECTION? !!!!!!!!!!!
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Yamaha, why no FUEL INJECTION? !!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha, why no FUEL INJECTION? !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey gang,
    Just wondering. When I began my search for a small, run-a-round semi-dirt/street toy, I actually was interested in a Honda "Monkey Bike". Most of you are aware of its attributes and one of them being it's FUEL INJECTED. Well, it's a long story but, I shied away from a $5,400 out-the-door price tag for such a small bike and, with limited intended use. So, my next choice was the Suzuki VanVan. First off, what kind of a name is "VanVan". Who, in their right mind, came up with that? Anyway, that bike, in case some you are not aware, is almost, I say ALMOST a clone to the TW200. Only it's a bit more oriented to street use, as opposed to the intended dual use of a TW. But, in any case, it's a 200 cc FUEL INJECTED bike. I watched and read a few reviews and well, it ended up that, it too was gonna have a bit too high of an out-the-door price. My plan for this purchase was just for goofing around on in situations like light off roading and squirling around on the street some. I got a giant Goldwing for any serious travels.

Anyway, Yamaha surely has some of its lineup that is FUEL INJECTED, don't they? Their little TW 200 is now 30 years old and from what I can tell, it's still a hot ticket for Yamaha. And, especially in this day and age where emmisions and fuel mileage is always a hot topic, why, WHY then, has Yamaha not thrown a very basic fuel injection system on these rather well selling motorcycles? I mean, that little 125 cc in the Monkey bike is fuel injected, as well as the 200 cc in the VanVan. And, I've not really done a bunch of research on any other models of any other manufacturer or, even in the same manufacturers, in the same cc category to see just what's fuel injected and what's not.

I know and realize that fuel injection might be a bit more costly to design and install but, hey, as any manufacturer knows, it's a SERIOUSLY better fuel system than a carburetor. It doesn't care about attitude or altitude or, ambient temp or anything. It just takes care of itself. So, just wondering why Yamaha hasn't thrown on fuel injection onto these, ever so popular bikes?
    Scott

P.S.
    We're on a trip right now traveling and camping at various points in AZ, UT, CO, NB, ID, OR and maybe a few others. I setup the TW on a "versa hauler", on the back of the motorhome and, we're also towing our Jeep JKUR. While sitting around our camp sites, we've gotten more pleasant comments about the TW than I would have ever expected. I've even been offered to sell it. Ain't gonna happen, at this point in time. Anyway, sure seems a lot of guys (and even some women) sure like that little bike.
    Scott
    Last edited by FIRE UP; 08-06-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    ejfranz, Fred, Darth and 1 others like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Great question! One I ponder too....
    2004 TW200

I think they have not added it for reasons stated above. KEEPING THE COST DOWN. If that is reason, they should offer two models, one with and one without. Let buyer decide.
    I think injection would be great for high altitude jaunts.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If I was in the market I would consider a Chinese dual sport.....before the price goes up...

My bikes run fine at any elevation I ride at from 0 to 8000' so I don't ever think about fuel injection.....if I wanted to know....I would ask Yamaha...
    Last edited by bartruff; 08-06-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    If I was in the market I would consider a Chinese dual sport.....before the price goes up...

My bikes run fine at any elevation I ride at from 0 to 8000' so I don't ever think about fuel injection.....if I wanted to know....I would ask Yamaha...
    Wondering, just WHO at Yamaha, would you ask? I mean, decisions like that are made waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up the food chain. Like all sales people at all dealerships at all vehicles/motorcycles/motorhomes/trucks/boats etc., I trust NONE of them for accurate answers. Fuel injection pretty much is and, has been the "norm" for everything I just mentioned for oh, maybe at least 30-35 years or more. Yet, Yamaha, for most likely cost reasons, still runs a carb on these small bikes. It's no big deal, I just kind-a wonder. Besides, as most folks know, about 99.99% of the engines in any vehicle that were carbureted, and then the next model year were fuel injected, turned out much more horse power due to seriously better fuel control. Just thinking.

Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Fire Up, you are a relatively new member here so you may not be aware that there are members here who are actually glad that their TW has a carb. Yeah, i know!
    2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

I bought my bike because it's not fuel injected. With EPA standards resulting in bikes running too lean I want to be able to correct the fuel delivery as to not burn out my engine and waste the foot print used to build my engine by running it efficiently. I also don't want to rely on dealerships to maintain my bike. I know they are "more reliable" but only until they break down.

I for one miss the kick starter too....it is such a simple reliable system. Why they remove independence from trail bikes is beyond me. I guess they want to risk leaving us stranded in the woods with no ability to rescue ourselves. Even KTMs have had recall electrical issues leaving riders stranded in the woods where a bump start isn't always possible.

In 5 years of rough offroad I've done all my own servicing having no need to go to a dealer and the carb only needed to be richened since they sell them lean.

Also if the TW had been redesigned for fuel injection it would be likely be as expensive or maybe more then the Vanvan,
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 08-06-2019 at 02:43 PM.

I am certainly no expert but my understanding is that fuel injection is superior in every way to carburation...... especially when it comes to engine fires ……. I have been able to contact factory engineers at Jeep and Cummings and Chevrolet in the past....most often by phone.....if you email the Company you will likely get a response by a customer relations person....but....sometimes you will get a reply by someone who knows...no offense intended....

Edited to add....I have a couple old cars with carbs and chokes ....one with Webbers no less.....and I have a fire extinguisher handy and my fingers crossed when I lite them up...
    Last edited by bartruff; 08-06-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Carbs can be a real pain when they aren't working right. I lived in Arizona and I would routinely ride up to Alpine AZ (elevation 8,000), all through the White Mountains (9k to 10k) and lived in Holbrook (Elevation 5,000). I would wonder how much HP I lot because the carb didn't adjust to the elevation like FI. I know with the KLR650 the emission were terrible and in 2019 Kawasaki couldn't keep selling the KLR650 with a carb they would have to switch to FI. Similar to the TW200 the KLR was a virtually unchanged (other than the fairing in 2008) bike for many years. They couldn't justify the cost and stopped making the bike and the KLR650 is a lot more popular in terms of sales than a TW. The day the EPA forces FI on small cc motorcycles will be the day the TW dies...remember a carb cost what $50-$100 to manufacture if that. FI systems are very expensive and dependent on other expense that carbs don't have fuel pump, better electrical systems, injectors etc. It would be nice but I doubt it. Who will be the first person to take the FI from a VanVan and put it on a TW200?!
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

Well my understanding is specifically cost and practicality. If they update one thing, they have to update everything. They'd have to essentially overhaul the entire bike to meet current emissions/etc. standards, not just the fuel system.

Regardless, people are buying it as is still, so there isn't much incentive for them to update it. It gets awesome gas mileage already, and is super easy to work on compared to a Fuel Injected system—yes, if the carb isn't running right, it can be a hassle to tune it properly, but it's still relatively easy to take apart, clean and put back together (and much much cheaper). If you're out in the wild riding on trails and what not, you can keep the TW running through almost anything.

It's possible that they'll eventually have to update it to keep selling it. I imagine they won't bother updating it until that point—and honestly, it might just go away at that point
    Trail Woman likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links