What's a good, small, garmin, etrex etc. ? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's a good, small, garmin, etrex etc. ?

OP's request for info on "good" and "small, semi-compact type" seems to be the deal killer. They seem to be conflicting requirements
    All the "small, semi-compact units' I have experience with have just too small a screen to be useful or readable in real life conditions. My Oregon was worthless even with upgraded supplemental map packages for actually finding out where remote trails and roads end up. By time I zoomed out enough to see where roads go those very same roads fall off the displayed imagery.

All I can say is before buying anything take a real good look at, and experience a demonstration at a vendor. In the store see if you can find a known primitive road you are familiar with...see if it is adequately identified, see if any desired information drops off the screen as you zoom out trying to establish the big picture in your mind and on the screen. I usually have paper National Forest or BLM maps I rely on more. Depending on need a cheap 8" tablet running a GPS chip with pre-loaded topo info that then rests on a tank bag may be much more informative and helpful for back country exploration. The difference in legibility is astounding compared to a "small, semi-compact" unit .
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    OP's request for info on "good" and "small, semi-compact type" seems to be the deal killer. They seem to be conflicting requirements
    All the "small, semi-compact units' I have experience with have just too small a screen to be useful or readable in real life conditions. My Oregon was worthless even with upgraded supplemental map packages for actually finding out where remote trails and roads end up. By time I zoomed out enough to see where roads go those very same roads fall off the displayed imagery.

All I can say is before buying anything take a real good look at, and experience a demonstration at a vendor. In the store see if you can find a known primitive road you are familiar with...see if it is adequately identified, see if any desired information drops off the screen as you zoom out trying to establish the big picture in your mind and on the screen. I usually have paper National Forest or BLM maps I rely on more. Depending on need a cheap 8" tablet running a GPS chip with pre-loaded topo info that then rests on a tank bag may be much more informative and helpful for back country exploration. The difference in legibility is astounding compared to a "small, semi-compact" unit .
    Hey Fred,
    I don't disagree with you at all. I probably should have been a bit more clear on my description of maybe what I was looking for. So many folks are using phones for so much now days and, they're getting larger and larger. Well, I really don't want a movie screen for my needs. I most certainly realize that, the smaller the screen and unit for that matter, the less valuable it would be for the ability to perform to what it was purchased for. I'm pretty sure we'd all like a screen about the size of 15" lap top for our off road excursions but, for the obvious, that's not gonna happen and, we'll just have to do with whatever size of unit/screen that appeals to our liking and, that will at least try and hold up to the riggers of hot TW off roading. The off road racing world has some that are build kind-a like the old military version lap top, I forgot what that unit was. But, you could drop it, kick it, beat on it and more, and it still keep's on ticking, like a Timex. I think it was called the Panasonic Tough Book. But, those are also waaaaay too big for our needs.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Quote Originally Posted by reddave View Post
    I have Garmin GPSMAP 64S augmented with an OnX chip. The chip enables me to see all property boundaries and whether the land is public or private. I purchased it for hunting originally but I take it everywhere and use it for everything.
    Same one I use in conjunction with regular gps. The regular one has all the street maps and the 64 has all the updated topo maps. If memory is correct the E TRAX is for geocaching.
    "Life Member NRA"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    The off road racing world has some that are build kind-a like the old military version lap top, I forgot what that unit was. But, you could drop it, kick it, beat on it and more, and it still keep's on ticking, like a Timex. I think it was called the Panasonic Tough Book. But, those are also waaaaay too big for our needs.
    Scott
    I don't know what you're talking about man, the Toughbook fits just fine if you get the right model.

elime, Fred and admiral like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links