Suspension Question from a new owner - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Suspension Question from a new owner

Quote Originally Posted by Elkiller View Post
    Adding oil to the forks will not help with bottoming out.
    Makes a huge difference! I did some experiments a couple of years ago on my Apollo. I used different weight oils and different amounts of oil. I can say with full confidence that the amount of oil will change the force it takes to bottom out. The weight of the oil will change the characteristics too.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

I thought it was to stop the springs from going rusty .....
    littletommy and Xracer like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Add oil until its 10MM from the top with the forks fully extended. Your springs won't rust and you will NOT bottom out. Well until you hit a big bump and blow the fork seals through the bottom triple clamp.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's not very nice....some newbie will take you at your word and blow the seals....before they realize you are kidding....unless they figure out that the forks are as stiff as solid steel beforehand.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Joking aside, Rocky is quite correct — not everyone reading this thread will understand the tongue in cheek humour that we share on here. There are several good threads on here regarding fork oil level, (and not all of them involve Hamsters)

I think the important bits are to get rid of the old stuff first, and then start from scratch. We are not all the same weight, nor ride the in the same conditions — it becomes “personal preference”

Yamaha (in their wit and wisdom) factored in the fat tires on this thing when they were thinking about suspension, and as such, tire pressures have their place to play in the equation. Nor did they expect “some of us” to take the TW where many bikes fear to tread — and especially at the speed that many serious players can go at. If it is remotely possible, we will always push the boundaries

However you look at it, the TW is set up for the “soft option” out of the crate, and the values in the manual support that — take them as a “starting point” only. Pro-cycle (love ‘em or not) have a range of products for the front end bouncy bits that have evolved from experimentation on “The Bee”, from different springs, to emulators — if you want the full story (without the pictures alas) — you’ll find it here - https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...200-build.html

Having “Bounced the Bee” in Moab earlier this year, I can honestly say it’s an “improvement” — but it’s not a definitive “cure”. You can stop a TW from bottoming out, but your shoulder muscles are still going to take a beating. Once you get it to do what you want it to do, (eg not bottoming out) the rest is in “rider fitness”

So, it becomes a three-fold affair — the correct set-up — the rider fitness — and the acceptance of the limitations of the machine (or the rider) in question

I had the perfect set-up, I was on the Bee in Moab after all - I had the skills, and the “hold my beer, I got this” attitude — but still had the crap knocked out of me simply because I didn’t do this kind of stuff on a weekly (if not daily) basis

It’s not always just about the bike, no matter how well set-up the thing is — so spend some time thinking about that

Pro-cycle can offer a range of products to seriously improve the bouncy bits, and this board can offer a wealth of advice - but the rest is up to you …..
    Darth and littletommy like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Ken
    I am surprised that with so much experience on here that no one has noticed how good the suspension is compared to old bikes. Especially after so many have owned the old 2 stroke dirt bikes. A friend of mine had an old 2 stroke 125 Yamaha but I don't know which one. It had the 2 shocks in the back. We swapped bikes and even after a 4" drop my teeth jarred out on his bike. On the TW you couldn't even feel the drop. The power was great though. I was going up a hill, it hit the power band, the bike shot up in the air while I was holding the handlebars, it spun around down the hill, I hit the front brake and stopped it. A TW 125 2 stroke would be a killer if it were EPA friendly. Compared to those old bikes the TW suspension is excellent.
    Willys714 likes this.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I am surprised that with so much experience on here that no one has noticed how good the suspension is compared to old bikes. Especially after so many have owned the old 2 stroke dirt bikes. A friend of mine had an old 2 stroke 125 Yamaha but I don't know which one. It had the 2 shocks in the back. We swapped bikes and even after a 4" drop my teeth jarred out on his bike. On the TW you couldn't even feel the drop. The power was great though. I was going up a hill, it hit the power band, the bike shot up in the air while I was holding the handlebars, it spun around down the hill, I hit the front brake and stopped it. A TW 125 2 stroke would be a killer if it were EPA friendly. Compared to those old bikes the TW suspension is excellent.
    You are correct! Compared to my old DT 250 the suspension and brakes on the TW 200 are great! But, I only weigh 155 lbs, so I can see how heavier riders would need to upgrade. Getting the fork oil right is an inexpensive and critical first step.
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 08-11-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Ken likes this.
    2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

Check. I'll keep the funny stuff to myself.

Oh, the funny stuff is appreciated. What is not is seemingly insulting comments like "Obviously you have no idea what the oil's purpose is in a fork".
    Now LittleTommy edited that sentence out from a new person's post #8. I think Tommy should have left it to the newbie to decide if he/she still thought that was an appropriate comment.
    We try to be fairly helpful here so cautionary clues to fellow member's attitudes can be helpful.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    T she has the TW, XT 250, Honda CB 500X and a Vespa. Lots of bikes and little money left.
    How does she like the CB500x? We've been thinking about adding one to the stable. Is it pretty good a highway speeds?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links