Suspension Question from a new owner
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Suspension Question from a new owner

Suspension Question from a new owner

I recently bought a 2009 TW for my wife and she is very happy with it, other than the suspension. She weighs about 180 and the the suspension bottoms out. This occurs even on casual trails and washboard are way too ruough compared to other bikes we have. Since she likes the bike so much though, I would like to try and do any upgrades I can to make for a better ride. I see that ProCycle has a kit with cartridge emulators, springs, seals and oil for $289 and rear springs for $139. I am willing to spend the money to keep her happy but was wondering if I should go up to a 60kg/15kg set up or heavier? Also, has anyone tried this setup and how happy have you been with it? Thanks
    Darth and Ken like this.

I passed on the emulators but did install their fork and shock springs along with increasing the fork oil level. I weight in at 210 and found for me the softer springs were enough.
    Darth, MikeK and Ken like this.

On the rear spring you will want the 15 kg/mm spring . Do not go higher with her weight. It will be far too stiff. https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html#shockspring
    Darth and MikeK like this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

First thing to do is get the fork oil to the correct level. They are ALL off by 20-25 mm. You want about 130 mm for her weight. See the technical write-ups for more info, but you can ignore 95% of that for the first try.
    Put the bike up on a box and let the front wheel extend all the way. Remove the top caps and the springs and spacers. Let them drain a bit into the forks so you can get a reasonable idea of what is in there....it will probably be around 155 mm when you: Fully compress the forks and use another box or straps to keep them FULLY compressed. Use a 1/8 inch wooden dowel and bright flashlight to determine the oil level from the top of the fork. Add 15 weight fork oil to bring it up to 130 mm.

Let forks all the way down and re-assemble. Take a few rides and see if that is sufficient for her needs. At 200 lbs. that was all I needed to do on the 2010. Now for the 2018 I did that plus install emulators, which are great for washboard, but I did not feel any need for stiffer springs....I just cut down the spacers the exact thickness of the emulators. 2,500 miles later I still think it's perfect.
    elime, Ken and Fred like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Hey, Mike...welcome aboard!

I have the same setup as recommended.
    Fork Solutions Kit W/.60 Kg/mm springs.
    Shock Springs 15Kg/mm
    I weigh 192 and that combination is just right. 180lbs. is well within the same ballpark.
    The new seals & fork oil will be a good "tune up" as well.

Better suspension (race quality) is certainly available for (a lot) more money, but this "bang for the buck" setup from a great company will do a fine job!

Unless you are an experienced bike mechanic with the proper tools, you might consider finding a dirt-bike specialty shop and have them do the install. Race Tech also has great Tech Support, should your guy need it.
    A specialty shop can also handle "fine tuning" of oil level, ride height, etc.

Now, if you *really* want to keep Wifey's Tushy happy, take a look at the Seat Concepts Foam & Cover Kit. Many of us use & recommend them. They are a pretty easy home-install.

As always, post any questions here!

After your bank account recovers, c'mon back and we'll "help" some more!

Do you have a bike, too? Great choice on the TW.

So...what makes you think Arizona is the Heart of Route 66?
    I'm on Route 66 in Texas and I was pretty sure we were!?
    Last edited by Darth; 08-07-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    MikeK, Ken and Sthrnromr like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Thanks for all the responses. I will try and answer all the points made.
    From the bottom up, Kingman is in the center of a 160 mile stretch of intact Rt 66 highway, hense the name, heart of 66. I have also heard that this stretch of 66 is the longest stretch that is still in tact though I am not sure if that is true or not.
    Though Mo has four bikes, I have but three, a Super Tenere, KLR 650 and KLX 400 and she has the TW, XT 250, Honda CB 500X and a Vespa. Lots of bikes and little money left.
    I am looking at the Seat Concepts as well but I may need to trim it down as she does not want a seat that is any wider than what she has now but I agree that the stock seat is not the best.
    She does not need hot rod supspension but she does need something that is not going to beat her up when she rides. Thanks for all the suggestions and now I shall start getting the upgrades done. My goal is to have it ready for the White Rim Trail by this fall.
    Mikey
    Sthrnromr and Darth like this.

You can get a lot more out of the suspension standing with knees slightly bent adding to the short travel of the suspension and getting some squats in while you're at it. Even with stiffer springs it will improve your control and riding ability as well as your health. Cured my sciatica.

I weigh a bit less but ride hard and this has gotten me by for a while yet I too am raising and upgrading my suspension starting with tt225 forks and a R6 mono shock. If the ride height is good for her then some oil and stiffer springs should do fine. Consider the fork oil and riding stance first because the riding weight of heavier springs suggest a slightly heavier weight rider.
    Darth likes this.

Adding oil to the forks will not help with bottoming out.
    Last edited by littletommy; 08-07-2019 at 09:19 PM.

I have the 15 gmm spring on the rear and just installed the HyperPro fork spring kit on the front. I've only put 25 miles on the current setup, but I'm very pleased initially. I went with the kit recommendations of 150mm fork oil measurement (15 wt, came with the kit) and stock spacers. Perhaps the best possible compliment is that I just don't notice the suspension shortfalls. Braking is good, rough terrain is good, and in my wet hay field, the rear let go on a bumpy corner while the front stayed planted, although replacing the deathwing with an SR241 contributed to that result. On a notoriously harsh section that always experiences a bottom-out event, nothing happened aside from calmly tracking thru.

My ride weight is around 170 soaking wet in full PPE and an overfilled CamelBak, so others results will vary.

JP
    Darth and MikeK like this.
    2015 TW200 "The Police Bike"
    2007 TW200 "My Little Thumper"
    1989 FZR400R...I'm getting too old for this $hit

Quote Originally Posted by Elkiller View Post
    Adding oil to the forks will not help with bottoming out.Obviously you have no idea what the oil's purpose is in a fork.
    Obviously I have a really good idea of what oil's purpose is in a TW fork since I learned it from Lzrdbrth. TEN YEARS AGO! Have you read his advice on how to set up a TW fork in the tech write-ups?

EDIT Uh Oh, when will I ever learn? I got bitten by a troll.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 08-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    Darth likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links