Front brake cable .....the cable from H#$% - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Front brake cable .....the cable from H#$%

GOF
    If You want any other pictures let me know.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

For the longest time I thought the drum brake on my 99 is useless as I could squeeze the lever right to the bar. Then one day I decided to really figure out what was going on and realized my lever was bent lol. It should be about 3" from the bar.
    Ken, jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

One of my TW's has the lower brake adjustment nearly maxed out
    P2040065.JPG

and the other one it is maxed out.
    P2040064.JPG

I figured it was because the cables were old and stretched and probably should be replaced. They are both '87's.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

FedEx says they are dropping off a new cable and handlebar brake lever today. I'll try to verify the fit tonight. I would not doubt the fact my cable on the bike is stretched to a degree, but after wrestling it for an afternoon it finally dawned on me the current lever is a misfit from some other bike altogether. I think that is the bigger issue. Anyhow, after this is sorted out, then its on to replacing rear wheel bearings, rear brakes, chain and sprockets. I'm thinking I best save some of these projects for winter when the snow is flying......but in a quirky way I enjoy wrenching this bike.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

GOF
    Quote Originally Posted by attwguy View Post
    FedEx says they are dropping off a new cable and handlebar brake lever today. I'll try to verify the fit tonight. I would not doubt the fact my cable on the bike is stretched to a degree, but after wrestling it for an afternoon it finally dawned on me the current lever is a misfit from some other bike altogether. I think that is the bigger issue. Anyhow, after this is sorted out, then its on to replacing rear wheel bearings, rear brakes, chain and sprockets. I'm thinking I best save some of these projects for winter when the snow is flying......but in a quirky way I enjoy wrenching this bike.
    I would be interested in seeing pictures of the parts side by side.
    jtomelliott49 and Peterb like this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Did the brake work prior to disassembly? If so there is your answer. Shoes installed incorrectly or the cam/lever is assembled incorrect. Always good to take before Picts afore disassembly if your unsure. Highly advise reading the shop manual, available at this site. Always pays to read directions before undertaking a task new to yourself. It’s the step that separates idiots from technicians. And one that will ensure proper safe work, not hacks
    tonto
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Yes, they did work before disassembly. Not great, but they did work. That's what so frustrating, I did take my time, watched all the videos, read my manual, and paid close attention to everything being installed correctly, in working order, etc. I'll have time to troubleshoot some more on Saturday. The new shoes are EBC and EBC says their installed OD is 130 mm or 5.12". I have the spec for the wheel hub dia, (not off the top of my head, from the shop manual), I suppose I could open the hub again and inspect/confirm those dimensions.

Don't mean to be a spoil sport but I hope your happy with the EBC shoes. I've found they have less stopping power than oem and tend to squeel.
    jtomelliott49 and Peterb like this.

I now have brakes. My front drum measured 5.125" to 5.130", the manual specs a 5.16" dia as max. I installed new OEM shoes and now have friction with good braking action. I did not measure, but my eyeball noticed the OEM pads as having a little thicker brake lining material and it seemed the springs on the OEM pads are not as quite robust as the EBC set.......maybe allowing the pads to move further with an equal lever "press"? Regardless, I have brakes now and am a happy camper. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

GOF
    Glad you got that sorted.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links