Front brake cable .....the cable from H#$%
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Front brake cable .....the cable from H#$%

Front brake cable .....the cable from H#$%

I installed new wheel front wheel bearings and brake shoes (EBC) on the '89 TW today. All going well, everything spinning nice and smooth and then I tried to re-install the brake cable .... it went to crap at that point. I've tried every which way to tighten the cable and it just seems like it is too long now, I can't get any brake action/friction at the shoes at all. I know all is installed correctly, I can get the brakes to lock by manually pulling up the lever at the wheel housing. The brake cable worked before disassembly.

I have no clue if the bike has the OEM cable or some hodgepodge cable. Is it time to throw the towel and buy a new OEM cable or has anyone else been down this road and can offer a fix/suggestion?

Thank you much
    Doug B
    Ken likes this.

Ken
    Are you sure your brake cam and lever aren't exactly 180 degrees off?
    Trail Woman likes this.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

GOF
    Maybe some picture would help us spot what's wrong.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a disc brake on front but....

Maybe you could move the lever to take up the slack? Or the lever possibly got flipped over the wrong way in relation to the shoes?
    Ken and MtnMan75 like this.

********Are you sure your brake cam and lever aren't exactly 180 degrees off? **********

Ken,.......Could very well be, now that you mention it,

I'll explain.......when looking at the brake cam lever on the wheel housing, the "ball" on the end of the cable is at about an 8' o clock position. I can spin the wheel and fully lockup the wheel by manually pulling up on the cam lever with my hand. Inside the housing, the cam itself is in a vertical position under no brake and will rotate counterclockwise when looking from inside the wheel to outside. I think that is correct.
    At the brake lever on the handlebar, the adjuster is screwed completely out. To test/adjust ............ should I zip tie the brake lever all the way back (as in full brake) and zip tie the brake cam lever in a full brake position and screw the adjustor back in the brake lever until taught (assuming it will)?

Since the cable worked before, I feel I am missing a simple step somewhere along the adjustment trail. It just has me stumped.

Thanks
    Doug b
    Ken likes this.

Ken
    If it is 180 degrees off you would have to undo your shoes, flip the lever completely over facing the other direction. The brakes will seem to work either way. The brake drum should be locked into the fork notch. The brake lever should be toward the front of the bike. There should be no brake applied at this point. Mount the brake with no tension on it. Connect the cable then adjust it. There is the adjustment at the bottom near the drum and another at the top near the lever. I don't remember the exact adjustment process since I only replaced the brakes once and they hardly ever need much of an adjustment.
    Last edited by Ken; 08-10-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    Trail Woman likes this.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

The gear can be moved however many splines needed until the brake action feels good to you. Before you move the splines, move the adjuster at the brake lever to allow you maximum adjustment capability in the future. It is a PIA but worth the effort.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

After casting a fresh sets of eyes on this from a night's sleep, I am convinced the brake lever on the handlebar is not correct, it is scavenged from some other bike. It is not allowing enough travel before it collides with the handlebar housing. I enjoy this bike, but man-o-man the previous owner hodge podged some stuff up. Gives it character, I guess? I'll play with it some more after the grandkiddo's B-Day party. Wahoo!

Thank you all for your help/suggestions. This is a GREAT forum and a WEALTH of resource. Doug B
    Ken likes this.

GOF
    Not sure if it helps. But took a picture of my front brake hub.

brake hub.jpg
    TW-Brian and Ken like this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Yep, mine is just like your pic above. On the inside of the hub, all is in order.... the cam rotates and the new shoes move outward. My grief has to be along the trail from the point of the "yoke" on the cam lever back to the yoke on the handlebar lever. I'm going to start back at square one with a new OEM cable and handlebar lever to insure I am dealing with OEM parts and not something off a tractor or ???

Thanks Doug B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links