Dirty piston?
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Moabman

Thread: Dirty piston?

So my bike has been in storage for a year so to freshen her up I added a few mods, cleaned the carb and replaced the spark plug. I went for a 50+ mile ride today and when I finished rinsing it off and restarted it I noticed bubbles coming out around my spark plug... So I remove the spark plug and noticed a lot of gunk in there. I took a q-tip and swabbed it. It came out dirty and gritty. I'm guessing that's not supposed to be there and now my bike is having a hard time running. I'm wondering what my next step should be. Do I need to tear down the engine, have a mechanic look at it or just run some solvent through it?

Let it dry out for a while before you do anything. Maybe drain the air box in case water got in it. Also if there isn't a washer / gasket on the spark plug put one there and / or tighten it a little bit more. Or could it be just water boiling off? If it is it is nothing to worry about.

As for gunk inside the cylinder I don't know. There will be carbon build. Is that what you wiped up?

My 2 cents worth.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Well my curiosity got the best of me and I have taken the entire top end off. Luckily I did because my oil was emulsified along with water being on top of my piston. As you said the gunk that was in there was really heavy carbon build up mixed with water which had made a thick paste. So now I'm waiting on parts and gaskets and since I'm in there I'm replacing my sprockets and chain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Are you installing new rings?

A little oven cleaner on top of the piston cleans off the carbon.
    jbfla and Fred like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

No the side wall looked good so I didn't figure I needed to. Just cleaning out all the oil/water and carbon build up.

Resurrecting an old thread to ask a new question...
    I am replacing my cylinder gasket, and have the upper assembly taken apart.
    Should I clean up the top of the piston and chamber area? I've had some guys tell me it's not worth the time or chance of getting gunk into the areas that are difficult to clean out.
    If I should clean it, without using glass bead blasting, is there a technique or chemical that makes cleaning that area easier?

Is oven cleaner the best, or are there other substances that eat it away better?

Pride of ownership had me attempt a poor man's port job by careful scraping, grinding cleaning and polishing of any carbon buildup and casting irregularities in my cylinder hear while awaiting parts. I used a variety of Dremel tool bits with good results. It probably did as much good as the valve grind I did at the same time which was likely not much. However if you have the time and tools it does no harm striving for greater efficiencies.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks, Fred. I'm the same way. Don't mind getting things dirty, but then they need to be cleaned really well.
    My Dremel awaits!
    littletommy likes this.

I think there are some top end chemical cleaners that will do it as the engine is running. You might want to research those.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links