Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New member

I found this site two weeks after I bought my 2019 TW200. I am totally amazed by information and knowledge given on this site. I have used this information to make a few changes to my tdub already. I have a Jimbo windshield, IMS footpegs, seat concepts seat and Lizrdcooler oil cooler. I have six hundred miles so far. I did an oil change after 300 miles and another after 600 miles. There were a few specs of aluminum on the filters during the first oil change and about three times as much the second time. Checked it with a magnet and all the specs were aluminum. Is it normal to have a slight increase in debris on the strainers the second time around? Thank you all for an awesome website. Four hundred more break in miles then its up to the mountains of West Virginia for a couple weeks of fun.
    cateyetech, Darth and Fred like this.

Mio
    Hello. My second oil change (at 139 miles) had more metal. I did a third at 223 miles. It is normal.
    Did you do any other maintenance at 600 miles? The book recommends checking for a few things at that point. I'm nearing 600 myself, and going to check valves, brakes, bearings, chain, air box (sandy here), lines and hoses in addition to another oil change. I also got Lucas marine grease for the swingarm pivot bushes. Wheels are important, too!
    Darth likes this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    2007 Porsche Cayman

Welcome
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome aboard, Tcs.

Have fun...!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Welcome from WI.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)

I also cleaned and oiled the chain at 300 and 600 miles. I adjusted the valves at 600 miles. Intake was .004 and exhaust was .006. I adjusted them to .003 and .005 respectively. The information I have gotten from this website has made riding and maintaining my bike a lot easier. Now if I could just convince my wife that what I have done and still want to do to my bike is necessary........

Welcome to you.
    You'll find after the initial maintenance that you have done there is very little more you'll have/need to do going forward other than periodically checking.
    These are kinda bullet-proof little buggers that love to be ridden more than wrenched.
    Darth likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Sounds like you are doing things right! Milling debris in the filter are common and no worry. Concentrate more now on convincing your wife and let us know how that goes
    When I retired we moved from NY to Inverness but the deal we made on the home purchase fell through because of owner neglect and an internal flood condition that about destroyed the home with black mold. We returned to NY and will likely remain here to the end. Your area is pretty hard on a northern guy who is not fond of heat, wicked thunder storms and enjoys winter sports.
    The TW is a perfect bike for where you live and good move on installing the oil cooler. Now is the time to consider a few great options. Buy a good DID VX chain, swap the front tire and make the switch to full synthetic oil at the next change. I don't believe in these BS break in periods and synthetic oil is much less sensitive to heat contamination. Just be careful when changing to new oil filters that you always get the correct one with 4 tiny holes on the engine side. The original filter is a good one and it is perfectly acceptable to clean and reuse it for many oil changes. Humidity in the atmosphere is your enemy and Inverness is famous for it. Your fuel system is a vented system which means Open to the outside. Keep your fuel fresh at all times by running the tank to the reserve and refilling it to the top at all times. This lessens the internal area for moisture to form inside the tank. When not in use you should always turn to petcock to the off position. At this point in your TWs life don't be afraid to run it through the gears like a raped ape once in a while, 65 MPH won't hurt it if you can get there for short periods.
    I lived off Apopka on Gurley when we were there.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

GaryL, you are a mind reader. The DID VX chain and Shinko 241 tire are being ordered this week and Mobil 1 will be going in on the next oil change. I plan to carefully clean the original filter and hopefully use it for a very long time. With care, it should last forever. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this website!

Quote Originally Posted by Tcs View Post
    GaryL, you are a mind reader. The DID VX chain and Shinko 241 tire are being ordered this week and Mobil 1 will be going in on the next oil change. I plan to carefully clean the original filter and hopefully use it for a very long time. With care, it should last forever. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this website!
    You will need a DID VX size 428 with 122 links unless you do the sprocket swaps. Stock sprockets are 14/50 and in flat FL I can't think of any great reason to mess with them unless you do a lot of high speed highways. In the sand around your area a bigger rear sprocket might be nice but when you gain in one place you lose in another. Most of us have found that front Death Wing tire to be terrible in sand, gravel and any loose terrain. Shinko is better but softer and will not last as long if driving pavement.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links