New in a few ways, need some carb help(duh)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New in a few ways, need some carb help(duh)

New in a few ways, need some carb help(duh)

Ok hello all. My name is Danny, currently residing in Austin TX. I just last week bought a new to me 1990 tw200. I couldnt pass the deal up. Here it is
    IMG_2835.JPG

So, I got it home and it needed a battery and reg/rec. Now, its running pretty well with the exception that upon reaching higher rpms and near 3/4 to WoT it falls flat. Sort of starves for fuel and/or bogs a lil. Here is the carb that came on the bike.
    IMG_2880.JPG
    IMG_2881.JPG
    Also I was given this brand new carb in a box, looks to be a replica
    IMG_2882.JPG
    the intake boot that is on the bike now fits the black carb but not this one.

I suppose my question(s) are, What is the suspected issue with my flat spot/bogging issue?
    What carb is on the bike and what carb was I given and am I . better off putting the other carb on?

Thank you for your time and any guidance.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Ken
    The silver one looks like the stock carb. You may be better off rebuilding it and see how it runs. Try giving the bike a little choke when it is running and see if that helps it get past the bog. If it does you may just need a bigger main jet on it. Welcome to the forum.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

To get that Chinese knockoff to work, you need to buy boots for 2001+. I used to clean old problematic carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner and compressed air on the jets and passageways. It usually works well, but now I just get these $35 knockoffs on Amazon with free 2 day shipping and new boots and be done with it. Just ordered my 3rd one. They all work pretty darn good. But they are cheapos and I expect a higher failure rate than OEM. Lots of write ups on here how to do it. Best 35 bucks I've spent on my bikes.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Upon a quick test ride with the choke on I did feel a drastic increase in performance. My thoughts so far is the person before me maybe bought it with the slip on DG pipe and a pod filter on the carb and didnt know too much. Its currently got a 138 main jet so Im gonna dig through some of my tackle boxes turned jet holders and see if I have anything to bump up the fuel delivery.

Neither of your carbs are the OEM stock one! Both of those can be made to work however the seals on both sides at the boots or Joints as Yamaha calls them must be airtight. You will find lots of threads here discussing the Chinese carb swap but I can't identify the black one which appears to be a 30MM size and might possibly be pushing too much fuel. As you are already well aware the previous owner made some changes we can't see so it is hard for us to advise on what the fix could be. Your tank is from a 1995 rainbow warrior and the muffler does require some carb tweaking to get it to run smoothly. You can find threads here from those who did that upgrade. I suspect the PO was probably a member here or at least did some lurking in our forum when making these changes. Your best approach will be to make one change at a time weather it be jetting or some other swap because this way you know what one thing you did worked or didn't. With these changes and with different carbs and mufflers feeding the engine too much fuel is just as bad as not feeding it enough. You must find the middle medium once you are certain the joint seals are airtight. Any air leaking at the seals is detrimental to the performance.

GaryL
    jbfla and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Thanks for the info Gary. I ordered a 10 pack of main jets for the black aftermartket carb. It seems to be sealed up pretty well. But upon plug inspection its black as night. So I suspect its overloading fuel in the high range. Im gonna get a fresh plug and bump the main down a bit and test from there.

Quote Originally Posted by D1ZzL3 View Post
    Thanks for the info Gary. I ordered a 10 pack of main jets for the black aftermartket carb. It seems to be sealed up pretty well. But upon plug inspection its black as night. So I suspect its overloading fuel in the high range. Im gonna get a fresh plug and bump the main down a bit and test from there.
    YUP! running too rich and probably getting too much fuel is my thought. Member Elime has played around with bored jugs and higher compression pistons that could probably take that bigger carb well. There is another more simple fix if you just want the bike to run well, buy a new OEM carb for around $300 and as long as the PO didn't swap the boot joints it just drops right in and you are done.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    YUP! running too rich and probably getting too much fuel is my thought. Member Elime has played around with bored jugs and higher compression pistons that could probably take that bigger carb well. There is another more simple fix if you just want the bike to run well, buy a new OEM carb for around $300 and as long as the PO didn't swap the boot joints it just drops right in and you are done.

GaryL
    Yeah I figured that would be an easy solution but Im attempting to keep costs low as this is a 3rd bike for me 😂. I ended up getting the bike with a title for $400 bucks and Im a fan of getting cool ass bikes for cheap as personals. The Chinese oem rep carb doesnt fit the current intake boot which is brand new and rubbery so hopefully some jet tinkering and testing will get me to a good point for some around town riding and occasional trails and camping.

Welcome @D1ZzL3,

I too am from Austin. I got a 2019 TW in February. There are at least a few other Tdubbers in Austin. We'll have to get a TW ride going in the near future. Good luck sorting out your performance issues, and welcome to the forum and owing a TW!
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tylermoney View Post
    Welcome @D1ZzL3,

I too am from Austin. I got a 2019 TW in February. There are at least a few other Tdubbers in Austin. We'll have to get a TW ride going in the near future. Good luck sorting out your performance issues, and welcome to the forum and owing a TW!
    Tyler! Whats up thats pretty cool. Me and some buddies organized a little weekly bike night over an Sandys hamburgers every Thursday night at around 8pm. Come out and say whats up some time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links