Chain Replacement and Required Tools
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Chain Replacement and Required Tools

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar

Chain Replacement and Required Tools

Good Morning,

For my first mod, I've decided that the stock chain has got to go (junk). Currently, I have about 400 miles total on the bike (~80% off-road), and I don't want to keep adjusting it anymore.

Here is the chain I am looking at https://fortnine.ca/en/did-428-vx-pr...t-x-ring-chain

- I want the 130 link gold chain (So I would have to remove 8 links with stock TW sprockets, correct?)

Also, I need to purchase a chain breaker and whatever else would be required to complete this job. I don't need a professional quality one ( I don't plan on changing my chains that often) and I don't want a piece of garbage either.

Here is what is available https://fortnine.ca/en/catalogsearch...=chain+breaker

Oh, I guess master link pliers as well? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Step by step instructions with along with tools needed and tips:
    jeepster09 and Skinny06 like this.

Hard to beat Pro Cycle for everything you need.

https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html
    Darth likes this.
    "Life Member NRA"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a Harbor Freight cheapo chain breaker and it serves me well. I also have a pair of the master link pliers , they are nice, but you can get by w/o them just fine.

oh yeah, I was going to add ........ I will be swapping out my chain and sprockets in the near future. There is post about laying your bike on it's side while doing this ... I think I am going to that route. It makes better sense to me as the dowel pins in the case won't fall out and, perhaps, in a better way I can eyeball and verify the stator wires aren't being crushed on re-assembly. Sane way of thinking if I elect to swap out any shaft seals or bearings while I am in there. I would rather drive them vertically rather than horizontally.

+1 on my new ~$16 Harbor Freight chain breaker although a simple bench grinder and a center punch has worked well for me for previous 40 years. Grind down rivet head and use punch to drive out rivet's pin if you already have a grinder and don't want to go shopping. Harbor Freight tool works very well on our 428 chain.
    chain_16332.jpg

Imagine custom dedicated purpose pliers would be nice but simple slip-lock pliers have always done the job for me. A time or two and one quickly figures out how not to damage circlip nor fingers. Channel lock and vise grip pliers also work very well.pliers.jpeg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

If you want a smaller, lighter, works-just-as-good chain breaker, consider a "beaver tooth" model.
    I've been using mine since the 70's and it's still in great shape.
    Disclaimer: But I don't use a chain breaker very often!
    Bonus: Small, light & easy to carry on the trail.

Different people sell them, not just these guys.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hi-Standard-...-/262635018288
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    +1 on my new ~$16 harbor freight chain breaker although a simple bench grinder and a center punch has worked well for me for previous 40 years. Grind down rivet head and use punch to drive out rivet's pin if you already have a grinder and don't want to go shopping. Harbor freight tool works very well on our 428 chain.
    ditto!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I have had great luck with DID VX chains on Ebay. The trick to installing the master link is to get the plate compressed enough so the clip slides into the grooves easily.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by garyl View Post
    i have had great luck with did vx chains on ebay. The trick to installing the master link is to get the plate compressed enough so the clip slides into the grooves easily.

Garyl
    ^^^this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links