Breaking in a new top end - when to check valves?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS

Thread: Breaking in a new top end - when to check valves?

Breaking in a new top end - when to check valves?

Well, I had been dealing with some valve issues and it turned out my chain guide was messed also.

I had to move, so I took it into a shop and got the work done - basically a whole new top end.

How far do you think I should go before checking the valves as they first start to get settled in?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by herseyb View Post
    Well, I had been dealing with some valve issues and it turned out my chain guide was messed also.

I had to move, so I took it into a shop and got the work done - basically a whole new top end.

How far do you think I should go before checking the valves as they first start to get settled in?

Thanks!
    I would treat it like a new engine, if you want to check it sooner, it’s not going to hurt anything, especially if you’re running out of spec. But as long as they’ve been dialed in initially... from memory:

500-600 miles
    4000 or 5000 miles
    7000 miles
    10,000 miles

Can’t remember next interval, it’s in the manual.

Make sure you check them cold, as recommended, check clearance, and abnormal wear.

I usually check the valve clearance at around 800 miles the first time, but that's from the Factory. Some are out of spec right from the beginning. If you set them yourself, I would use about 2,000 miles, and every 4,000 after. I'm more conservative than the manual, as usual.
    jtstdub likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Sponosred Links