No Charging! Stator, Pickup coil, or rectifier/regulator?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Badgerflorida

Thread: No Charging! Stator, Pickup coil, or rectifier/regulator?

No Charging! Stator, Pickup coil, or rectifier/regulator?

First post here, I've tried to use the search function but am needing more. The symptoms I'm having is no charge present across the battery terminals and cannot ride the bike without it dying shortly after starting. Won't stay idling long either. I followed the manual and tested the various components in the ignition system. The rectifier/regulator seemed to pass the resistance tests. My stator seemed ok when testing ohms, but when idling and measuring between the three white wires was underperforming in the AC output. Only about 12v AC when at idle, and not a whole lot more when revved. So I figured that'd be the culprit. I got a new stator in today and nothing. Hardly any AC voltage at all between the new wires. What are my next testing steps? Or what is the likely culprit? Pickup coil? Rect/Reg? CDI?

Ken
    Welcome. What year is your bike? I would suspect the RR. I always check them first before going any further. My 1993 has never had any issues with mine. The best bet would be if you could swap a RR with someone close by and check your voltage.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Thanks for the reply, the bike is a 1990. I don't know any fellow riders nearby so maybe I'll just start throwing parts at it. The cheapo RR is only $15 . But it looks like that maybe was already replaced by the PO. Though that doesn't tell us much. So... hmmm.
    Last edited by T3Andy; 08-19-2019 at 06:52 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey Andy - I’m also in Milwaukee and currently have an 89, 03, and 05. The 89 parts should match your bike and it’s running pretty well, but it’s currently not street legal. Let’s use PM to find a time for me to bring my regulator/rectifier to see if that’s the culprit. If it’s not, I’ll gladly try to help diagnose the problem. Cheers.
    joeband and GOF like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Sponosred Links