New member + carb nightmare - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: New member + carb nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by TWBigBlake View Post
    I rolled a 130 Main Jet 34 Pilot, popped the Welch plug and my screw was bottomed out from the factory, gave it the magical 2.5 turns out. Runs like a top.

Picked up my jets from amazon (Yamaha brand):

Yamaha 288-14343-65-00 JET,MAIN #130; 288143436500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C57QEQ..._HiexDbFTVJV8M

Yamaha 5LB-14342-17-00 Jet, Pilot (#34); 5LB143421700 Made by Yamaha https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJR1PIU..._wkexDb83BB0AX
    Thanks for the tip! Mine had no plug and I've tried every setting from 1 to 4 turns so far in .5 turn increments. It just plain won't stay running and when it did sort of idle it would not revat all. It would die if you even looked at eh throttle.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MtHamiltonTW View Post
    I rolled a 130 Main Jet 34 Pilot, popped the Welch plug and my screw was bottomed out from the factory, gave it the magical 2.5 turns out. Runs like a top.

Picked up my jets from amazon (Yamaha brand):

Yamaha 288-14343-65-00 JET,MAIN #130; 288143436500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C57QEQ..._HiexDbFTVJV8M

Yamaha 5LB-14342-17-00 Jet, Pilot (#34); 5LB143421700 Made by Yamaha https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJR1PIU..._wkexDb83BB0AX
    Thanks for the tip! Mine had no plug and I've tried every setting from 1 to 4 turns so far in .5 turn increments. It just plain won't stay running and when it did sort of idle it would not revat all. It would die if you even looked at eh throttle.
    Well, since it’s not a fuel flow to-the-carb problem, hopefully will be able to rule out or in CDI soon. You said you cleaned the carb with your buddy, did you do a rebuild as well?

Interesting tip: Radracing sells a 50 dollar carb on amazon, I used it to practice and get to know the guts of the carb/practice rebuild/setting floats before I took apart my factory one to work on.

I’ve seen the reviews and can confirm that the radracing carb is a receive-and-install (barring any catastrophic mail handling). My bike fired right up after throwing it on the bike, others have stated their bike ran better from stock carb setup, might be something to think about, and you have a spare carb to work with!

And if you do the math, 250+ for a new carb from Yamaha, rebuild-minus-diaphragms is between 25 and 40 bucks... or a new carb for 50 that’s ready to go.

Radracing TW200 Carburetor Carb Replacement kit Compatible 2001-2017 Trailway Replace TK250 TW 200 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQSWY7F..._VRexDbZERMW9G

Quote Originally Posted by imlost View Post
    When you pull the CDI out of the freezer, install it right away (while it's still frozen). When I did this, the bike ran great for a few minutes, and then slowly started to run shitty again as the CDI warmed up. Obviously, you'll want to do this after you feel you have the carb dialed.
    Honestly buddy, at this point, without some magic advice I don't think I'm the guy who's going to fix the carburetor. I considering buying the Chinese unit I'm seeing on Amazon. It's got good reviews from tdub folks on there. Has anyone here had luck with those? It's the first one that pops up when you search "tw200 carburetor".

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Honestly buddy, at this point, without some magic advice I don't think I'm the guy who's going to fix the carburetor. I considering buying the Chinese unit I'm seeing on Amazon. It's got good reviews from tdub folks on there. Has anyone here had luck with those? It's the first one that pops up when you search "tw200 carburetor".
    I have experience with it, worked great when I just popped it in to test, I used it to learn how to take the carb apart and rebuild it, see my post just before your last one.

I have experience with it, worked great when I just popped it in to test, I used it to learn how to take the carb apart and rebuild it, see my post just before your last one.
    Ordering now....
    Thanks for the review. 🤞

Ordering now....
    Thanks for the review. 🤞
    Might wanna cancel and hold up a minute. I thought I saw you have an 87 TW...

Can any forum members with 87 models comment to whether the newer style carb will work on an 87? Anything MTHamiltonTW should know???

How about a 2000 yr?

I have a 2000 model year and would like to know if it will work on mine too?

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I have a 2000 model year and would like to know if it will work on mine too?
    I just did a quick google of carb differences by year... I believe the new CV carb is from 2001 forward.

GOF
    The $50 carb requires the newer boots at a minimum in order to use on an older model TW. I don't know if the '87 throttle cables would be an issue.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

GOF
    If I were the OP I would take TW-Brian up on his offer of loaner parts. Even if you have to pay for round trip shipping it's an easy way to plug in parts to confirm what the issue is.
    jtstdub and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links