New member + carb nightmare
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: New member + carb nightmare

New member + carb nightmare

Hello all,

This is the first forum I've joined in about 15 years so I'm basically a noob again. I have been searching and finding help through the tdub forum for a few months now while I piece together my '87 as I bought 6 months ago as basically a box of parts.

I really need some advice on getting the bike running as I've just this afternoon reached the end of my patience and the will to continue to throw more money and time at this bike.

Here's the story:
    I bought the bike while the family and I were on vacation in southern California. We were down there in my wife's Forester and while waiting in line to get on space mountain I found a "good deal" on OfferUp for this '87 tdub with 1400 miles for $500.

I'd been shopping for a cheap tdub for months and finally struck gold I thought. So, I left Disneyland and drove to Manhattan Beach to somehow buy this bike and get it back up north in a small SUV with my family and luggage inside. The seller was happy to help be completely disassemble the bike in the parking lot of his apartment complex and proceed to stuff and strap down every part to the roof rack and anywhere we could fit parts.
    It worked! Family, luggage and project tdub all fit and we made it back to the house in comfort.

I then spent the next 3 months of 30 min here an hour there putting the bike together using a cyclepidia. I put in new steering bearings and had new street tires put on the wheels. It was really looking great and my excitement grew. I had trouble with the electrical at first but the excellent diagrams in the manual got me through and I thought it would be a snap from there to having a running bike.

So far I have replaced every part on the carburetor that's available for purchase and the bike will not run. It will idle some times but as soon as you go near the throttle, it dies. I called procycle where I bought all my parts and they said it sounds like a vacuum leak. I replaced the boot connecting the carb to the head and the o-ring behind that with new parts. Nothing. Took the carb back off with my friend and had him look it over since he's actually owned several motorcycles and this is basically my first one. We cleaned and shot carb cleaner through here and there, compressed air through everything making sure nothing is plugged and even resealed the plastic cap on the top just to be sure. Nothing. I put new rubber caps over the unused ports from the deleted evap system hoping that was it. Nothing.

As it sits now, it will not run...like at all. You get thumps like it wants to start but nothing. Choke in, choke out. Idle jet to 1.5, 2, 2.5,3 turns...nothing. Pulled plug out and it's BLACK. Cleaned the copper pulg and tried again. Nothing. New NGK iridium plug makes no difference. I definitely have hot spark. New coil is working fine. Bike had good compression. Starter and battery are fine.

So I'm open to suggestions. Anyone in NorCal have a good shop I can take it to that won't charge what the bike is worth to get it running? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats (maybe?) on your TW. So sorry to hear about the problems that you are having getting it running.

Have you ever seen/heard this engine run? 1987's are known to have CDI problems that may present as carb problems. I am neither a carb expert nor a CDI/electrical expert, but I can offer you a few things. I have a known good '87 CDI and several new replacement carbs that others have successfully used on TW's, that you would be welcome to try out on your bike.

Since it sounds like you are local, maybe we should try to get another "Wrench & Ride" together and see if we can get your bike going?

Is yours a red one or a blue?

Let me know if you are interested,

Brian

mt hamilton sounds like san jose.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MtHamiltonTW View Post
    Hello all,

This is the first forum I've joined in about 15 years so I'm basically a noob again. I have been searching and finding help through the tdub forum for a few months now while I piece together my '87 as I bought 6 months ago as basically a box of parts.

I really need some advice on getting the bike running as I've just this afternoon reached the end of my patience and the will to continue to throw more money and time at this bike.

Here's the story:
    I bought the bike while the family and I were on vacation in southern California. We were down there in my wife's Forester and while waiting in line to get on space mountain I found a "good deal" on OfferUp for this '87 tdub with 1400 miles for $500.

I'd been shopping for a cheap tdub for months and finally struck gold I thought. So, I left Disneyland and drove to Manhattan Beach to somehow buy this bike and get it back up north in a small SUV with my family and luggage inside. The seller was happy to help be completely disassemble the bike in the parking lot of his apartment complex and proceed to stuff and strap down every part to the roof rack and anywhere we could fit parts.
    It worked! Family, luggage and project tdub all fit and we made it back to the house in comfort.

I then spent the next 3 months of 30 min here an hour there putting the bike together using a cyclepidia. I put in new steering bearings and had new street tires put on the wheels. It was really looking great and my excitement grew. I had trouble with the electrical at first but the excellent diagrams in the manual got me through and I thought it would be a snap from there to having a running bike.

So far I have replaced every part on the carburetor that's available for purchase and the bike will not run. It will idle some times but as soon as you go near the throttle, it dies. I called procycle where I bought all my parts and they said it sounds like a vacuum leak. I replaced the boot connecting the carb to the head and the o-ring behind that with new parts. Nothing. Took the carb back off with my friend and had him look it over since he's actually owned several motorcycles and this is basically my first one. We cleaned and shot carb cleaner through here and there, compressed air through everything making sure nothing is plugged and even resealed the plastic cap on the top just to be sure. Nothing. I put new rubber caps over the unused ports from the deleted evap system hoping that was it. Nothing.

As it sits now, it will not run...like at all. You get thumps like it wants to start but nothing. Choke in, choke out. Idle jet to 1.5, 2, 2.5,3 turns...nothing. Pulled plug out and it's BLACK. Cleaned the copper pulg and tried again. Nothing. New NGK iridium plug makes no difference. I definitely have hot spark. New coil is working fine. Bike had good compression. Starter and battery are fine.

So I'm open to suggestions. Anyone in NorCal have a good shop I can take it to that won't charge what the bike is worth to get it running? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Welcome to The Forum! You're in good hands with TW Brian... :-)
    jtstdub and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    mt hamilton sounds like san jose.
    Yes. San Jose is the nearest city to where we live. We live and work at the observatory. On top of Mount Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Congrats (maybe?) on your TW. So sorry to hear about the problems that you are having getting it running.

Have you ever seen/heard this engine run? 1987's are known to have CDI problems that may present as carb problems. I am neither a carb expert nor a CDI/electrical expert, but I can offer you a few things. I have a known good '87 CDI and several new replacement carbs that others have successfully used on TW's, that you would be welcome to try out on your bike.

Since it sounds like you are local, maybe we should try to get another "Wrench & Ride" together and see if we can get your bike going?

Is yours a red one or a blue?

Let me know if you are interested,

Brian
    That sounds cool. Weekends are best but watch out for cyclists! They think they own the roads up here
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

It's a red one

1.jpg
    brian is humble about his tw skills. his wrench n rides have repaired many a sad tdub.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You mentioned when you replaced all the parts in the carb that it would idle for a short bit, but touch the throttle and it dies... even if it won’t start now... I would just double check the petcock (disconnect hose from carb and open the valve) and make sure fuel pours out, if it doesn’t on the run setting, try the reserve setting. Sometimes the older petcocks need cleaning or replaced.

Just another two-cents

This sounds EXACTLY like the experience I had with my '87, which I've documented in this thread.
    If you don't want to read the whole thing, I'd start reading at about post #51.

It's time to start looking at the CDI. I don't think you're having a carb nightmare, at all.
    tylermoney and jtomelliott49 like this.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links