What chain length do I need for a stock set up TW
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By TheFunkyMonkey
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS
  • 1 Post By MtnMan75

Thread: What chain length do I need for a stock set up TW

What chain length do I need for a stock set up TW

Procycle sells both a 120 and 130 O ring chain for our bikes and recommends the 130 with some cutting to fit the stock sprockets. Rocky mountain sells a DID X ring for less in a 122 length. Will a 122 link 428 chain fit with the stock setup without having to add links? i prefer the X ring over an O ring though I am sure that an O ring is just slightly less effective than the X ring chain.
    Mikey

122 links.

If you're shopping at RMATV, if you put in your machine, it will give you stock info such as chain, sprocket and tire sizes. The DID 428VX is a popular chain around here - just installed one myself.
    Last edited by TheFunkyMonkey; 08-20-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    MikeK and Happypop like this.

122 links DID 428VX from Rocky Mtn. +1 No cutting, just remember to tie it to the old chain with a bit of wire and pull it through. I found that the master link is very tight requiring a press tool. I took a very small rat tail file and took a couple thousandths off the inside of the side link so I could press the side link on with only a bit of help from needle nose pliers. Compressing the two X rings at one end of the link and getting the clip on that side then doing the same with the other side made it easy. Now you could actually take the master apart and re-assemble it in the field.
    MikeK likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Procycle sells both a 120 and 130 O ring chain for our bikes and recommends the 130 with some cutting to fit the stock sprockets. Rocky mountain sells a DID X ring for less in a 122 length. Will a 122 link 428 chain fit with the stock setup without having to add links? i prefer the X ring over an O ring though I am sure that an O ring is just slightly less effective than the X ring chain.
    Mikey
    Just put one of the DID VX's on mine (428x122). Ordering a spare master link isn't a bad idea and go slow and even while pressing the master link on. I do like that the master link is a bit tighter to push on this one compared to many others I've put on (less chance of it coming apart if you lose the clip), but because of it I didn't realize I was slightly off kilter when I was in a hurry and cranking it down and had pinched one ring while the other end was just a hair too far off for the clip. Luckily... I had ordered a spare just to have with me, but it ended up saving my butt that day. If you don't need it, you got a spare to keep with you. My second go, I really made sure my chain tool was perfectly even before starting to crank down and eyeballed it while turning the press tool slowly. Being in a hurry cost $5 for me that day. From experience, I've found it's always best to watch the link looking down the chain from the top as you are pressing it down onto the pins so it's exactly the same width as the link in front and back of it. (Too bad I didn't take my own advice first try) It's a well made, beefy chain.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 08-20-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    MikeK likes this.

Well alright then, a 428/122 length it shall be. Thanks to all of you.
    Mikey

Sponosred Links